Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
"Made in Japan" labels were already around for a long time before the 80's.
They originally were synonymous with cheap junk too, but have come a long way since then.
Or how about the old ' Made In Taiwan ' labels? I remember those. Just the other day, I happened to look at a pair of Levi's I bought, and the tag said they were made in Madagascar. I had no idea Levi's were foreign made now. And I got another complaint. My daughter had her ' Holiday Sing ' festival before Christmas, and there was not one single Christmas song on the agenda. What the hell is this world coming to??? The same elementary school I went to and my 2 older kids went to and sang Christmas songs, and now my 7 year old is singing songs that have nothing to do with Christmas!!! And now even worse, her school isn't celebrating Valentines Day. Are you friggin' kiddin' me? It's not even a religious holiday or anything, but the school refuses to celebrate it. I'm fed up with this BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 10:13 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
Have you seen Beijing or other Chinese cities?

Hustle and bustle and skyscrapers with business people and workers going all over the place. Far from lower class.

If you don't want to go there, Google is your friend.

ETA: Their economy depends upon the value of our dollar. That's part of why they've been propping us up in the world economy lately.
How Rising Wages Are Changing The Game In China

2006 - factory workers in China making $160 a month - and that is the BIG BUCKS where the factory owners don't think they can make enough profits.

Who says that the skyscrapers in China are full of factory workers. A country of more than a billion people, just because a select crowd are wealthy doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of people there being exploited.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:16 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
A lot of scary statistics in this article:

National Labor Committee

And Haitians paid 28 cents and hour by American firms??

And here is a good comparison of skilled salaries in China and India, maybe these guys are living large in Shanghai -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4436692.stm

Course a software engineer at $7000 a year, no wonder US firms are outsourcing everything.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
A lot of scary statistics in this article:

National Labor Committee

And Haitians paid 28 cents and hour by American firms??

And here is a good comparison of skilled salaries in China and India, maybe these guys are living large in Shanghai -

BBC NEWS | Business | China tops India on average pay

Course a software engineer at $7000 a year, no wonder US firms are outsourcing everything.
You get what you pay for.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
If that happened in the UK -ie what is inside the box does not resemble what was shown on the box, then you'd be entitled to your money back and Trading Standards would confiscate the shipment.

People sometimes complain that everything seems to be made abroad, and it does seem that way.

Vote if you can with your buying habits, not always easy I know.
Wal-mart will take anything back no matter what the reason.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,356 times
DO NOT BUY CHINA AUTO PARTS!..Especially lug studs for wheels and clutches for 350 F.I. Chevy truck. The studs break off within a week, and the clutch wears out within a year, as well as wearing out your flywheel...These are just some examples..Oh yea, Christmas lights suck, too.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:47 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You get what you pay for.
Agreed.
People want quality made American goods, but aren't willing to pay what it
costs to produce them.
Sometimes I think consumer greed has been far more lethal to our economy than corporate greed.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Agreed.
People want quality made American goods, but aren't willing to pay what it
costs to produce them.
Sometimes I think consumer greed has been far more lethal to our economy than corporate greed.
I'm willing to pay, but so much manufacturing has been offshored that we usually have the choice between an item made in China or doing without that item altogether.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,280 times
Default Tired of Buying Junk

I have almost stopped buying anything new that I can buy used or just do without. This week it's the little battery-operated Christmas lights which I bought last year on sale at a popular arts and crafts chain. I may as well have thrown my money in the fireplace. They won't even stay lit one day with two C batteries. What a waste of my money and my time, not to mention a detriment to the environment with plastic and batteries that are going immediately to the landfill. Guess I shouldn't be buying the plastic crap in the first place.

But it's pretty much junk across the board. I do blame China's cheap quality to a large extinct and corporate greed. Oh well, I need to spend less anyway and this is definitely helping me head in that direction.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:45 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
"I buy most things second hand" yep - I am doing my dardenest to hang on to the appliances I have. Many are very old, some 70s some 80s. But now many home appliances sold in the big boxes are such garbage. Really, goodwill is a great source for older appliances - some like new. garage sales, estate sales. I just scored an old waring blender (like new, barely used) for $5.
I rarely even shop at the big boxes anymore. They do not have anything I want to buy. I even buy some clothes at the thrift shops. Old quality textiles are MUCH better. Amazing they have the made in america label on them.
I am willing however, to shell out the $$$ for the quality - it is just SO hard to get that quality. Which many people are not willing (or able to) do so.
The thing that irritates me the most is seeing food from china. (they poisoned baby formula for chrissakes!). Read your labels people - $stores are the worst for this. Also cheap chocolate during the holidays.
AND the fact that the goods are made much cheaper, yet the prices are increasingly higher and higher. The production cost savings does not pass down to the consumer - who does get the benefit of those costs savings then? stock flippers and CEOs.
Unfortunately the culture of corporate greed - china will eventually become too expensive and they will find a third world country to exploit - you will begin seeing those labels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products