Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:58 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,484 times

Advertisements

I have an Ikea foam mattress for 7 years. It was great at the beginning but the past 2-3 years, the foam started to loose elasticity and I can feel the foam depressed after the night sleep. As the result, I start to have some back pain due to the abnormal contour of the foam.

I am thinking about buying a new foam mattress and wonder if the Tempur-Pedic is better and lasts longer. Any other good brand to suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 11:27 AM

814 posts, read 675,953 times
I've bought a couple of foam matresses in a box and they are pretty good but a bit too soft for me.

Wish I could firm them up simply, but most 'toppers' are to add softness.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:44 AM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Tuft & Needle Mattress get very good reviews...
https://goo.gl/QkRzY8
also check those:
https://goo.gl/Lh9RvX

But if you want firm and not sagging - get natural latex.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
also check those:

I heard of natural latex. It sounds like what I am looking for. Any recommended brand?

Old 01-15-2018, 02:43 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,541,852 times
Latex has a bouncy feel rather than the sinking-in/mold-to-your-body feeling of memory foam. You might want to try a latex topper before buying a full mattress, just to make sure you like it.

This company has great prices on toppers (I have purchased two from them).

Since those are just plain foam, without a cover, you should buy an allergy cover to protect it...otherwise the foam will get pretty gross if you sleep on it with just a sheet.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Latex has a bouncy feel rather than the sinking-in/mold-to-your-body feeling of memory foam. You might want to try a latex topper before buying a full mattress, just to make sure you like it.

This company has great prices on toppers (I have purchased two from them).

Since those are just plain foam, without a cover, you should buy an allergy cover to protect it...otherwise the foam will get pretty gross if you sleep on it with just a sheet.
I think I slept in the natural latex mattress when I was young. That thing last for 15 years and kept the firmness until the end. I want to give it a try again. What are the reputable brand?

That Tuft & Needle Mattress get very good reviews. Anybody has experience with it personally?

Old 01-19-2018, 08:19 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
also check those:

This is true. Latex is firmer and will hold it's shape for many, many years and has been around since the 50's. And yes, it has a firmer, more bouncy feel than memory foam.

Even if you get a mattress with a latex base and a layer of memory foam over it, it will still last a lot longer than memory foam alone. I prefer the hybrid mattress which is a combo of individual coils covered by a thick latex layer, then add my own memory foam topper from Amazon, which I can change out when it wears out, because the memory foam part of the mattress is the part that will wear out the quickest.

Here's a good article comparing latex to memory foam, if you're interested: https://www.myessentia.com/learn/ver...am-mattresses/

Old 01-23-2018, 07:25 PM

I found Brooklyn bedding fits what I am looking for. Anybody has experience with them?

Old 01-24-2018, 07:58 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,257 times
I purchased a foam mattress from Original Mattress Factory eight years ago and it is still as good as new. If I remember correctly it is a mix of natural and man made latex/foam. I flip and turn the mattress every so often, probably not on schedule per direction. It's a real pain because it is very heavy and difficult to do, and flops around, probably due to the natural latex. The man made stuff is lighter in weight. They seem to be the most reasonably priced for a foam mattress at the time. I got a queen size with a split box spring and it was about 1,300, maybe it was more, don't remember. After seeing prices and different qualities I was OK with the price, not thrilled but OK.

I had a soft side water bed that sprung a leak, it was about 20 years old. Glad to see it go. I was so used to sleeping on it that I swear I could feel springs in a typical mattress so thats why I ended up with foam. I weigh about 150 FYI.

Anyway, happy with my purchase, I spent about 5 evenings going to different places looking for a suitable mattress, what a pain.

I don't know if they have stores in your area. I wish posters would at least put what state they are in so we know if things are relevant. ie :if this store is in your area.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 01-24-2018 at 08:56 AM..

Old 02-03-2018, 12:46 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,257 times
I love the reviews on the Tuft and Needle mattress, Elnina posted a link above.. I want to order one in a few weeks..
However, the cheapskate in me, found this.. I was born with the infliction I swear..
It also seems to get really good reviews..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077629RCY...ustomerReviews

My Serta is older, it's dealt with heavy me, skinny me and heavy me once again and it needs to be replaced. My lower back is starting to feel it in the mornings..

It needs to be replaced and frankly I'm torn between cheaper and more expensive..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products