Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 05:05 PM

612 posts, read 847,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
UPS handbook? They "can" or they "must"? Take them to court if you feel this is statutory code that can be enforced by the consumer.

No, I have no "proof" that most people aren't at home during the day other than the freeways are jam packed in the morning with people going to work and again in the afternoon with people going back home, while they are pretty empty late at night when "most" people are sleeping (which I also have no "proof" of).
The point I was trying to make was that there are too many variables at play to just assume that most/virtually no one is ever home daily, during the day. Its their job to attempt to deliver to the individual units anyways, the service which is being payed for. Others are free to have no issue with this, but Im just asking to receive the service Im payjng for, which is what UPS promises
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 06:04 PM

255 posts, read 185,372 times
I had this nice long post but this morning CD was down but basically when i lived in an apartment yes it was a struggle to have things delivered to our first apartment because there was a locked gate and they were too lazy to call me.
They just left a ticket on the gate and we went downtown to pick it up

Old 07-29-2018, 06:35 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,827,936 times
You could try bribery...

Friend, a grandmother type that had a small online business was having issues...

She made it a point to get to know the drivers... did the same for the Waste Management guys.

No matter when they come... there is a small refrigerator with soda and water to help themselves...

She has the best service I know... last week she was waiting for a package and the driver made her stop first.

I learned from her and I might have 3 or 4 Fedex and maybe 1 or 2 UPS deliveries daily at work...

Always friendly... drop what I am doing to sign in the early AM so they can get going...

The receiving manager had kind of a power play... saying they will wait until she is ready... and they have to take deliveries to the receiving… which is all the way around back...

Sometimes critical items are needed immediately for surgery... I told the drivers if it is early AM... take it to the front desk which is always staffed... and be on your way...

Respect goes a long way and not wasting their time is paramount...

Old 07-29-2018, 07:35 PM

15,137 posts, read 32,425,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
They just go directly to the leasing office. Make no attempt to even come to my door- - not even leaving a note telling me it's at the office (because leaving a note would mean having to actually come up the stairs, which if they were already going to come up the stairs, I wouldnt be having this issue)
This is why. I have a friend that lives in a senior/disabled building with a leasing office, and she has the same problem. She spoke to the driver, and he told her that if there's a leasing office, that's where they're required to leave the packages, not at the tenant's door.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:43 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,305,332 times
Quote:
The point I was trying to make was that there are too many variables at play to just assume that most/virtually no one is ever home daily, during the day. Its their job to attempt to deliver to the individual units anyways, the service which is being payed for. Others are free to have no issue with this, but Im just asking to receive the service Im payjng for, which is what UPS promises

I get that but you have spoken to multiple supervisors and it should be clear by now that they aren't going to do it. So now you have a choice to accept it or have your stuff shipped by another carrier. Maybe Fedex will knock on your door. USPS almost never delivers to an apartment door.

All the packaged delivery services operate on thin margins and they aren't going to do things that lose money, regardless of what they say publicly. Multiple attempts at delivery and covering stolen packages cause them to lose money. I doubt it's because the drivers are "lazy" but because they are under tight deadlines and don't have time to waste attempting a delivery that is most likely going to be futile and then having to deliver it somewhere else or return it. My bet is the driver has been given the message, explicitly or with a wink, to just drop the package at a location they know is going to be secure and still get to you. In this case, your office. Why is this such a problem? And you didn't answer my earlier question, would you be willing to take the loss on stolen packages if they dropped at your door?

Old 07-29-2018, 08:15 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,730,482 times
Quote:
I had trouble with UPS at my last apartment. There was a secure package delivery area in the leasing office, but they would just leave a note saying that the office refused to accept it. When I asked the office, they said no one had ever come in there with a package that day... so clearly the UPS driver was not doing his job. Eventually people just left the front door open all the time for packages even though it was supposed to be locked.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:26 PM

92 posts, read 59,163 times
UPS now makes you sign up to "My Choice" delivery.
https://www.ups.com/us/en/services/t.../mychoice.page

I live on an extremely busy street where hundreds of tourists pass by the apartment door every day. Both Fedex, UPS just leave packages right out in the street practically in the way of the pedestrians when all they have to do is open the door two feet away and put the package there.

When I called UPS to complain they said that if I wanted special delivery I had to sign up for their custom delivery service and if the sender did not purchase signature confirmation it was up to the discretion of the driver where to leave the package.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
This is why. I have a friend that lives in a senior/disabled building with a leasing office, and she has the same problem. She spoke to the driver, and he told her that if there's a leasing office, that's where they're required to leave the packages, not at the tenant's door.
I understand leaving shipments at the office instead of on the front doorstep, but they're 1st supposed to attempt deliver to the recipient at their front door before leaving at the office, which they're not doing

Old 07-29-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean900 View Post
UPS now makes you sign up to "My Choice" delivery.
https://www.ups.com/us/en/services/t.../mychoice.page

I live on an extremely busy street where hundreds of tourists pass by the apartment door every day. Both Fedex, UPS just leave packages right out in the street practically in the way of the pedestrians when all they have to do is open the door two feet away and put the package there.

When I called UPS to complain they said that if I wanted special delivery I had to sign up for their custom delivery service and if the sender did not purchase signature confirmation it was up to the discretion of the driver where to leave the package.
I actually use UPS myChoice with front doot instructions- - it doesnt matter either

And whoever told you that is wrong, they're supposed to attempt delivery at the front door:

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente...eliveries.page

There's no policy that exists that contradicts this rule

Old 07-29-2018, 08:41 PM

12,439 posts, read 8,233,248 times
Because the leasing office/manager accepts packages that has become the delivery point for that address and "the door" the driver goes to. FedEx Couriers carry less stuff and for the first part of the route tends to be express deliveries not bulk packages. I would imagine the FedEx Ground franchisee works much like the UPS Driver or USPS Letter Carrier and goes directly to their deliver point not all over a building complex trying to find a door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products