Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 08:43 PM

612 posts, read 844,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I get that but you have spoken to multiple supervisors and it should be clear by now that they aren't going to do it. So now you have a choice to accept it or have your stuff shipped by another carrier. Maybe Fedex will knock on your door. USPS almost never delivers to an apartment door.

All the packaged delivery services operate on thin margins and they aren't going to do things that lose money, regardless of what they say publicly. Multiple attempts at delivery and covering stolen packages cause them to lose money. I doubt it's because the drivers are "lazy" but because they are under tight deadlines and don't have time to waste attempting a delivery that is most likely going to be futile and then having to deliver it somewhere else or return it. My bet is the driver has been given the message, explicitly or with a wink, to just drop the package at a location they know is going to be secure and still get to you. In this case, your office. Why is this such a problem? And you didn't answer my earlier question, would you be willing to take the loss on stolen packages if they dropped at your door?
I've said previously that I wouldn't mind them leaving it at my front door.

It's a problem for me because it's their job to at least attempt front door delivery. I truly wouldnt have a problem with what you said about the deadline thing if this was written policy. I wouldn't agree, but I'd accept it w/o incident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Because the leasing office/manager accepts packages that has become the delivery point for that address and "the door" the driver goes to. FedEx Couriers carry less stuff and for the first part of the route tends to be express deliveries not bulk packages. I would imagine the FedEx Ground franchisee works much like the UPS Driver or USPS Letter Carrier and goes directly to their deliver point not all over a building complex trying to find a door.
That's their job though (well technically not USPS)

Old 07-29-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I get that but you have spoken to multiple supervisors and it should be clear by now that they aren't going to do it. So now you have a choice to accept it or have your stuff shipped by another carrier. Maybe Fedex will knock on your door. USPS almost never delivers to an apartment door.

All the packaged delivery services operate on thin margins and they aren't going to do things that lose money, regardless of what they say publicly. Multiple attempts at delivery and covering stolen packages cause them to lose money. I doubt it's because the drivers are "lazy" but because they are under tight deadlines and don't have time to waste attempting a delivery that is most likely going to be futile and then having to deliver it somewhere else or return it. My bet is the driver has been given the message, explicitly or with a wink, to just drop the package at a location they know is going to be secure and still get to you. In this case, your office. Why is this such a problem? And you didn't answer my earlier question, would you be willing to take the loss on stolen packages if they dropped at your door?
By multiple attempts at delivery, do you mean the driver attempting the front door, and then not dropping off at the leasing office, but i stead coming back? This I accept. If you attempt the front door at least once, and then leave a note to pick up at leasing office, no big deal IMO

If you're referring to just attempting period, well, this is their job. And do you have any data to back up that attempting front door apartment delivery loses them money and causes them to miss deadlines?

Old 07-29-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
You could try bribery...

Friend, a grandmother type that had a small online business was having issues...

She made it a point to get to know the drivers... did the same for the Waste Management guys.

No matter when they come... there is a small refrigerator with soda and water to help themselves...

She has the best service I know... last week she was waiting for a package and the driver made her stop first.

I learned from her and I might have 3 or 4 Fedex and maybe 1 or 2 UPS deliveries daily at work...

Always friendly... drop what I am doing to sign in the early AM so they can get going...

The receiving manager had kind of a power play... saying they will wait until she is ready... and they have to take deliveries to the receiving… which is all the way around back...

Sometimes critical items are needed immediately for surgery... I told the drivers if it is early AM... take it to the front desk which is always staffed... and be on your way...

Respect goes a long way and not wasting their time is paramount...
I've been very respectful when I've spoken to people on the phone about this. The first time I called in fact I told the supe that I didnt want to get the driver in trouble, but to please deliver to the front door.

I'm not sure what you mean though by "wasting their time..."?

Old 07-29-2018, 10:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,715,832 times
Referring to the receiving manager at work... if she is on break... she was no problem telling the delivery driver to wait...

I'm in a different department and will always accept deliveries... often the oversized ones are for my anyway.

I did work in a Union Shop once and got reprimanded by the Shop Steward for accepting deliveries during breaks...

The problem here is Porch Pirates... growing rapidly and simply following delivery drivers stealing what is left when no one is home.

In Washington State the local Service Station/Grocery accepts packages for everybody... they simply do it as a convenience... the alternative is to leave the parcel at the road... not a very good one.

I always buy fuel there and sometimes more...

Again, it is a relationship that evolved through need.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:23 PM

12,393 posts, read 8,173,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
By multiple attempts at delivery, do you mean the driver attempting the front door, and then not dropping off at the leasing office, but i stead coming back? This I accept. If you attempt the front door at least once, and then leave a note to pick up at leasing office, no big deal IMO

If you're referring to just attempting period, well, this is their job. And do you have any data to back up that attempting front door apartment delivery loses them money and causes them to miss deadlines?
You need a scientific study to prove that someone walking to a back apartment or multiple apartments takes more time then dropping everything for a building at a central location? It is physics you can't both go to multiple places and drive to the next building at the same time. You spend more time and pay an hourly employed driver more to spend more time in a single building. The only way not to miss deadlines is to hire more drivers and deploy more trucks thus allowing that driver to go to unit 10 then to unit 33 and so on rather than a central office that receives for everyone in a building

Old 07-29-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
You need a scientific study to prove that someone walking to a back apartment or multiple apartments takes more time then dropping everything for a building at a central location? It is physics you can't both go to multiple places and drive to the next building at the same time. You spend more time and pay an hourly employed driver more to spend more time in a single building. The only way not to miss deadlines is to hire more drivers and deploy more trucks thus allowing that driver to go to unit 10 then to unit 33 and so on rather than a central office that receives for everyone in a building
I'm requesting proof that deadlines have/are being missed and money is lost by attempting delivery to individual apartments, IF that was that (or yours) poster's argument. It's the drivers' job to deliver to individual units, what they're being paid for, so no money is lost on that particular front

Old 07-29-2018, 11:58 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,472,584 times
I had a decent rapport with our UPS driver for our business. Up until the day he slammed down some boxes and was in a rush to get to his lunch to be with his "lady". I told him I wouldn't sign for the one package as I could tell it was already damaged. He said, sign it and put in a claim! I said, NO! You put in the claim. You damaged it ! He got huffy and five minutes later I was on the phone to his supervisor. The next day he got huffy with me again and then said...you didnt have to call my supervisor! I said, For the $19 dollars an hour you get, maybe you can be a bit more appreciative of us customers and the items we want delivered safely!
I made less then this chap and did far more work in a day then he'd ever see. So I lost all compassion or empathy for him when he treated the situation the way he did. He was removed from the route a month later. I have no regrets in airing the concerns. Our business paid for those shipment fees and the product. \

I had the US Postal mail man leave a sticky note at my door that he attempted to deliver a certified letter. I was HOME the entire day, and no more then 5 feet from the front door. There was no way he "attempted" anything. Other then a sticky note. I think he forgot to knock...

Old 07-30-2018, 03:43 AM

Wow, that's great that the supervisor took action for your situation. Glad it got resolved. I read on another forum how someone was having an identical issue to mine, and they called and complained and the issue was resolved. And yeah, USPS is notorious for their lack of customer service, not surprised there

I'm not hopeful that this supervisor or I think supervisors will grant me the same customer service, bit I'll see. I just wonder whether this is a city-problem for me, or maybe it's just a certain area of the town (dunno if there's multiple facilities in town and if different drivers would do this and whether they have seperate leadership)

Old 07-30-2018, 06:33 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,494,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
I'm requesting proof that deadlines have/are being missed and money is lost by attempting delivery to individual apartments, IF that was that (or yours) poster's argument. It's the drivers' job to deliver to individual units, what they're being paid for, so no money is lost on that particular front
Nobody owes you proof. You are making a mountain out of a molehill and I am sure this is not the only thing in life you have issues with. If you do not like the service that they are giving use FedEx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
For the $19 dollars an hour you get, maybe you can be a bit more appreciative of us customers and the items we want delivered safely!
I made less then this chap and did far more work in a day then he'd ever see.

This is really not your business, and I think these drivers do a lot of work. A lot you do not see and I personally would hate to do their job during the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products