Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 04:07 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Every time I look for something on Ebay, I consistently find that sellers price things higher for items that are easily purchased from a local Wal Mart store. It's like they buy things at Wal Mart, list them on Ebay higher than the retail price. I terminated my Ebay account several years ago, but started looking at it recently again and it's even worse now. Prices on ebay are double the retail price on many things.

At one time , I sold things on Ebay, a LOT of things, none of them inexpensive. Then Ebay started getting greedy, and they ended up making more on the sale than I did, so I no longer use them.

That is why Ebay prices are so high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 04:20 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,414,037 times
Quote:
Why Ebay costs so much now
I am a buyer, havent sold on eBay in ages, all my small electronics, smart phones, 3 iPads at home peripherals and some other goodies are basically cheaper and delivered to home than anywhere else in this Country.

Why did Radio Shack go broke ?? eBay killed them, I today find the same items cheaper on eBay than even on Amazon...where they try to wrap you up on other schemes when buying from them.

For me, aBay all the way even today.

Just today I settled with a seller for something that i truly believe wasn't the advertised article when I got it, no problems my money back on the PayPal acct overnite and NO hassles.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:04 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Every time I look for something on Ebay, I consistently find that sellers price things higher for items that are easily purchased from a local Wal Mart store. It's like they buy things at Wal Mart, list them on Ebay higher than the retail price. I terminated my Ebay account several years ago, but started looking at it recently again and it's even worse now. Prices on ebay are double the retail price on many things.
I don't know what you're talking about. I shop on ebay frequently because they are consistently cheaper. And unlike on Amazon, you can filter sellers by location to eliminate the Chinese garbage. Just yesterday I bought new snow boots for $43 that were $80 on the Columbia sportswear site. I also bought a Columbia arctic parka on ebay brand new with the tags on for $249 and it was $500 retail on the Columbia site. It's all about shopping for the right things at the right places.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:08 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
I buy just about everything, beyond groceries, on eBay and I almost always find super deals as compared to our local brick & mortar stores. I not only save the $12 in gasoline and the wear and tear on my vehicle driving the 80 mile round trip to one of our local stores but I also get exactly what I need sent right to my mailbox, albeit in a few days.

I also sometimes sell on eBay but usually only weird, rare or odd things I find at local garage and estate sales. Sometimes it's a huge profit, even counting the roughly 15% to 18% that eBay charges me, and sometimes it is a break even deal. Even an 18% cut for eBay can't make me unhappy about selling a $5.00 estate sale antique Dodge truck tail light that I sold on eBay within the first hour for over $100.

For a time, eBay got away from the flea market type sellers but they seem to be inviting them back.

Now CraigsList is a totally different story. Yikes!

Old 09-28-2018, 06:21 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
I've seen a $5.00 Wal Mart T-shirt being sold for $20.00 on Ebay. It's just stupid. These sellers probably wonder why they aren't making any money. My guess is they get excited when they do finally make a sale and that's what keeps them going.
Heh. Very similar to the self-publishing market, where there are a thousand mistakes to make and most authors (including some very big names who should know better) make most of them. But they sell a few copies a week, and their attitude is "any/all sales are good sales!" It's nearly impossible to convince them they could do better, often with very little effort.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:21 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
It can be very hard to sell dishes, china, even vintage china - the schmancy stuff is hard to sell! I did sell some from my mom's estate, years ago, but it took months to find the right buyer. This woman should give it up. Thrift stores like Goodwill often throw nice sets of china away in the dumpster behind their store. They simply get too much donated to them and so throw the rest of it out.
It’s also heavy and shipping is often expensive for items like this, making it cheaper to buy in other places.
Unless their antiques, it is easy nowadays to find really beautiful inexpensive dishes in stores like Target or Christmas Tree Shoppes. With a Target credit card, everything ships free even if it’s heavier than most items.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Heh. Very similar to the self-publishing market, where there are a thousand mistakes to make and most authors (including some very big names who should know better) make most of them. But they sell a few copies a week, and their attitude is "any/all sales are good sales!" It's nearly impossible to convince them they could do better, often with very little effort.
No I will say, somethings are way overpriced because they are discontinued products that really do have a small but loyal following. There have been a few hair, makeup, etc product that I have loved but it gets discontinued. In those cases, I have bought every one I could find online to try to have a big stock of it LOL. I’ve paid many times the retail price for certain things because they were discontinued.

The one I paid the most for, was a product for sinuses that Vicks made briefly. It burns your nose like heck, but it worked amazingly well. I’m guessing they discontinued it because too many people sued them for the nose burns that I can see would occur if someone didn’t follow directions exactly.

In stores, it was about five dollars a box. I paid as much is $35 for a box, LOL. I can’t remember if it was on Amazon or eBay. But sometimes when you see those prices that seems nuts there is a reason.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:30 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Generally, based on my experience, Amazon is better for current products while eBay is better for discontinued products. Often I notice current products tend to sell at inflated prices on eBay vs. Amazon. As for discontinued products eBay usually has better availability.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Generally, based on my experience, Amazon is better for current products while eBay is better for discontinued products. Often I notice current products tend to sell at inflated prices on eBay vs. Amazon. As for discontinued products eBay usually has better availability.
I used to think that too, but then on another thread a poster said that many household products were cheaper for her and eBay. So when I needed something, I checked a night light and a shower filter on both Amazon and eBay and eBay was a few dollars cheaper for both of them. It’s not always the case though and sometimes eBay is a little bit higher. Now I look at both of them as well as Walmart a lot of the times. Most often I want the two day shipping those so I use.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:40 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But you dont have to have an Amazon Prime account to buy from Amazon. Prime is for when you want 2 day shipping, Prime movie, Prime Music, and all those other exclusive Prime benefits...

So you're not really saving $50-$70 a year by not using Amazon, your spending $50-$70 more a year by using EBay.
I buy Amazon Prime items on eBay, and get the same service that Prime members get on Amazon, minus the movies and music. eBay calls it 4 day shipping, but I don't know why. It's the standard 2 day Amazon Prime shipping. Two items recently got to me in slightly over 24 hours. I placed one order on eBay in the early morning. By 11:42AM the tracking was showing that it had been picked up from the Amazon Fulfillment Center. At 5:06PM it was showing: Departed Shipping Partner Facility, Kent Washington. At 2:31AM the next morning it was showing Departed Shipping Partner Facility, Hillsboro, Oregon. At 5:29AM it was accepted by my local Post Office. At 7:44AM it was Out For Delivery, and it was delivered at 12:21PM. In just a little over 24 hours I had my item shipped from an Amazon Fulfillment Center inside an Amazon Prime package, just like if I had ordered it from Amazon Prime. Yes, I spend about an extra $50 a year on slightly higher prices ordering on eBay, but I save $119 by not having to pay for an Amazon Prime membership. So that is a $69 savings to me, or close to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products