Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 10:31 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

And where in my post did I say I would pick up an item and decide I didn't want it, then put it back in the wrong place?
Of course you didn't say it. This was made-up drivel. I cannot believe how one post has been twisted by so many posters here. The OP didn't do any of the things talked about in these posts so none of it's even relevant.

Many people have worked as cashiers far too long, they hate their jobs, they resent customers and think customers are all out to "scam" them. But customer "scams" aren't the topic here and that discussion is really for another thread. I do not feel sorry for cashiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 12:03 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Wow, I have never seen one. I will have to ask when I call about this situation Monday. I still insist that the electronic signs should be connected to the registers or what good are they.
Just to give you an idea of what that entails. One hot wheels car, on ad, has approximately 72 different UPC codes associated with it, a particular style of shoe has a separate UPC code for each color and size combination, for us a twelve page ad can run into a few hundred screens full of ad codes, and generates roughly six to eight thousand ad tags and signs per store each week. I wouldn't be holding my breath that Kohl's or any other retailer is going to invest the time and money to develop the software to link those signs with the UPCs found in the point of sale computers anytime soon.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:55 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Just to give you an idea of what that entails. One hot wheels car, on ad, has approximately 72 different UPC codes associated with it, a particular style of shoe has a separate UPC code for each color and size combination, for us a twelve page ad can run into a few hundred screens full of ad codes, and generates roughly six to eight thousand ad tags and signs per store each week. I wouldn't be holding my breath that Kohl's or any other retailer is going to invest the time and money to develop the software to link those signs with the UPCs found in the point of sale computers anytime soon.
Interesting. How do you know that, do work for Kohl’s? How do they update the signs? Those signs have to be all linked somewhere to be upgraded. The cash register stand should be able to be connected to that one.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Interesting. How do you know that, do work for Kohl’s? How do they update the signs?
I would think it would be the same as anywhere else, employees change the sale signs after the store closes on the last day of the sale.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:38 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
I shop there a lot. It may have happened once but not often.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:04 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Interesting. How do you know that, do work for Kohl’s? How do they update the signs? Those signs have to be all linked somewhere to be upgraded. The cash register stand should be able to be connected to that one.
Because it looks very similar to a sign system we used to use where I work, like the electronic signs you see outside of stores, just more of them. Part of my retail 'information management' job has to do with pricing and advertising at store level. I make lots and lots of tags and pricing signs including the electronic outdoor ones. There is a fairly simple program that allows the user to type in information and it's seeded with various brand logos, dollar signs and such, but it's no, it's not connected to the actual point of sale system. Separate information systems with the POS being much more complex than the signs programs. And yes, they get changed on the last day of the ad before the store opens for business the next day.
Some years ago our company looked into electronic shelf pricing, which would be similar to what you are proposing with the signs. It was deemed too costly to implement, in spite of the huge number of man hours and payroll it would save. Rough ballpark guesstimate of saving 128,000 hours per week minimum, and likely double that or more.

Last edited by DubbleT; 10-08-2018 at 09:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products