Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:40 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times

Advertisements

I REFUSE to use self check-outs. They take away jobs from employees who might count on them to feed their families.

The other day I was in Walmart. The store was very busy. There were only three check-outs for full carts and another lineup for a few check outs for people with 15 items or less. I went to the back of what I hoped was the fastest checkout as I had a full cart of items. A few people were going through the self checkouts but not many. I think the majority of shoppers feel the same as I do. Support employees, not machines.

I stood there, and stood there, and stood there. Stewing.

People around me were complaining out loud and we were all very disgusted. None of us were going to support those self check outs. If I'm paying a lot for my goods and support their stupid store, then I darned well want someone to bag them (I bring my own bags)

When I finally got up to the check out, I talked to the clerk how ridiculous the lines were. She informed me (not too happy) that they are closing one of the check outs, so that there will be even less in the near future.

Walmart and Meyers and other huge chains are making MEGA $$ and they are too damned cheap to open other check outs and pay for more employees.

How I miss Zellers and K-Mart! They just couldn't compete with those huge chains. It's sad.

Note: if there was another similar store that had what I needed without running all over town, and they had people manning more check-out aisles, I'd be the first one to never go back to Walmart.

Meyers is almost as bad.

Ok, end of rant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 06:51 PM

5,575 posts, read 6,501,669 times
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I feel the same way, I will never use a self checkout because it is one step closer to putting people out of work. However, I have a niece whose attitude is when they start hiring cashiers who know what they are doing then I will use them instead of the self checkouts.

We are already forced to pump our own gas, to do our own banking, to check out and bag our purchases. All the while big business wants our money and our personal information so they can market to us to make more sales and more money and yet not hire any more people to assist their shoppers. Sometimes I cop a 'tude and don't walk my cart to the corral. Someone once wrote on a site that we (the customer) are paying big bucks for our groceries/purchases and still have to check ourselves out, bag our own groceries and return the carts to a central place. These are all jobs that people once held.

I commend those business who still have staff to assist customers with their questions and who have baggers who helpfully walk a customer to a vehicle and load the trunk for them when needed.

Before I get pelted, my Profile states I am "old school". I am of a past generation who gave and expected good customer service from a business I was spending my hard earned money at. Businesses used to have to EARN their customers' business.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:01 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I REFUSE to use self check-outs. They take away jobs from employees who might count on them to feed their families. t!
I used to be the same way, but now I use self checkout because I got tired of rude cashiers. I can check my own items out, bag them myself and don't need them to do it for me.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
I agree about Walmart and self-checkout is always a major PITA. I ALWAYS need help from the clerk, who is always busy helping someone else. Totally frustrating.

I've started doing most of my major shopping at Sprouts, which depending on the item, can be more expensive than Walmart. But, they always have plenty of checkers. I've decided I'd rather spend more for the convenience.

I also have the same issue with using Safeway's self-checkout, and their prices are expensive. So I quit shopping there, too.

Sprouts gets most of my grocery money now. Trader Joe's gets a little, mostly for their $2.99 wine, although, I can also get 3/$10 cabernet savignon at Sprouts, too. But, Trader Joe's does have a few things I can't get anywhere else, like their vegan falafel mix.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:24 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
I'd rather spend more money for good service also.

I have found that Walmart stores in the US AND Canada are certainly no bargain in the grocery department. It might depend where I live, but a lot of goods are cheaper and far better quality in Canada in our other grocery stores.

I might buy chicken, cheese or eggs, but never meat in the USA Walmart or Meyers stores. Meat is VERY expensive compared to our prices, even without the exchange rates.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:00 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I'd rather spend more money for good service also.

I have found that Walmart stores in the US AND Canada are certainly no bargain in the grocery department. It might depend where I live, but a lot of goods are cheaper and far better quality in Canada in our other grocery stores.

I might buy chicken, cheese or eggs, but never meat in the USA Walmart or Meyers stores. Meat is VERY expensive compared to our prices, even without the exchange rates.
Aren't we all fortunate to be able to choose where we shop. Since you detest Walmart so much, why are you even in the store?

Old 10-23-2018, 03:52 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,475,255 times
What's to keep customers from putting items into their bags without scanning? I used self checkout the other day, and it seemed to me you could easily do a little pilfering if so inclined.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:06 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
What's to keep customers from putting items into their bags without scanning? I used self checkout the other day, and it seemed to me you could easily do a little pilfering if so inclined.
Cameras all over the place.

I will use self-checkout, last time I had to stand in a line at WM (I was buying wine) it was more than 5 minutes. Really short-staffed around here, there is a Burger King down the street that sometimes has to close the dining room and just do drive through due to not enough employees. When are the big businesses going to wake up and pay a decent wage?

Old 10-23-2018, 05:03 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,602,221 times
I love self check-outs. If I need to run into a store for one or two items, its very handy and quick.

It's way better than getting stuck behind some inconsiderate person with 200 items that has to berate/question the cashier about every price, then has the gall to run back to an isle to pick up other things that they forgot.

If you don't like them, then boycott the stores that have them. Simple

Last edited by jdaelectro; 10-23-2018 at 06:11 PM..

Old 10-23-2018, 05:05 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,747,103 times
I don't use self checkout because I go in Walmart to shop not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products