Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 12:37 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Why can't I find grape juice? I've been sick, and twice this week back to work have been looking for a beverage with some pretense at nutrition, but no bubbles, no chemicals, not too acidic. Grape juice has been crossing my mind, but just try to find a container of it. I can find kefir and kombucha and billions of energy drinks and every kind of orange juice and vitamin water. Wow, can I find water - flavored water, energy water, enhanced water, fizzy water. But I cannot find grape juice. WTH happened to plain grape juice?

Everything you mention in your list is found in the refrigerated section of the store. The grape juice is usually found in the juice aisle with all the refrigerate after opening juices. Try looking there. And since you are not feeling well, try something with an antioxidant punch like cherry juice, pomegranate juice or cranberry. I buy the unsweetened (super tart) versions, but you can buy them sweetened as well. I hope you are feeling fully well in no time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 07:28 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Yes, but I was going to work and wanted a cold juice, not a 2-liter jug of room temperature juice. And we don't have a Jewish or kosher section here. In the few stores that do, they don't include Kedeem juices - they don't even include macaroons.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:54 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times
I just bought Welch's grape juice at Walmart last week. I bought one of the bigger containers, but they also have the small bottles in the refrigerators in the checkout area.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:25 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
NYC Refugee, what part of the country are you in, just out of curiosity?

The Costco near us (Northeast) has Newman's Own unsweetened organic grape juice, in two-packs of 48 (?) ounce bottles. That's a lot of grape juice. Sometimes they also carry Kedem at the same time. Sometimes they don't have Newman's, but they do have Kirkland grape juice.

I will mention that at my local supermarket where we do much of our shopping, it is curiously hard to find jugs of grape juice. I once spent 15 minutes trying to find it. There was an aisle of bottled juices but no "pure" grape juice, just several varieties of Welch's with other stuff added -- cran-grape, sweetened grape, blueberry-grape. Maybe they were sold out that week. They also usually have frozen concentrate grape juice. Sometimes you can find it in the refrigerated section near the milk & other perishable juices.

It's worth noting that non-organic grapes have a fair amount of chemicals in them. If you drink a couple of large glasses of conventional grape juice, you may be ingesting a ton of pesticides etc. Organic is a lot more expensive, but probably worth it. Just a thought.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:53 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
No problem here. My husband and I did pretend we were drinking wine over the Thanksgiving.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:53 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
NYC Refugee, what part of the country are you in, just out of curiosity?

The Costco near us (Northeast) has Newman's Own unsweetened organic grape juice, in two-packs of 48 (?) ounce bottles. That's a lot of grape juice. Sometimes they also carry Kedem at the same time. Sometimes they don't have Newman's, but they do have Kirkland grape juice.

I will mention that at my local supermarket where we do much of our shopping, it is curiously hard to find jugs of grape juice. I once spent 15 minutes trying to find it. There was an aisle of bottled juices but no "pure" grape juice, just several varieties of Welch's with other stuff added -- cran-grape, sweetened grape, blueberry-grape. Maybe they were sold out that week. They also usually have frozen concentrate grape juice. Sometimes you can find it in the refrigerated section near the milk & other perishable juices.

It's worth noting that non-organic grapes have a fair amount of chemicals in them. If you drink a couple of large glasses of conventional grape juice, you may be ingesting a ton of pesticides etc. Organic is a lot more expensive, but probably worth it. Just a thought.
I had this problem several times at my local store. Lots of "juice drink" which is mostly water and corn syrup. Actual grape juice was hard to find a couple of times.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:46 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Alex - I'll look. Thanks.

Peanuts - I'm in DE. Inland (yes, it matters). At the beach, which is a 40 min drive, selection improves and prices skyrocket. Here in the more agricultural bit, selection can be limited. And very sort of mainstream American. We have no Costco on the peninsula, BJ's is 40 miles easily, Trader Joe's is 2 hours, and so on. Thanks for the organic thoughts, I will keep in mind.

tiff - "drink" is not juice (and we know it) and I also didn't want chemicals and acids on a sensitive stomach, which let most of the blends out.

I've had farmer's market grape juice and it was divine, but not shelf stable. It went cloudy in very little time. I guess you just have to drink it.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:25 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Many 100% juices have other fruit juices mixed in, simetimes sugar is added - mostly to improve the taste. Lots of the 100% juice blends contain mostly apple juice, which is fairly low in vitamins, so look for juices that have more of the reds, purples and orange fruits. So - read the label.
I think one of the few 100% grape are made by Welch's, Kirkland (Costco), Newman's Own and Knudsen.

BTW:
One of the healthiest juices is 100% cranberry
https://www.sharecare.com/health/jui...ice-healthiest

Old 11-29-2018, 04:28 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Mod Note: Moved to Shopping forum.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:49 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Why can't I find grape juice? I've been sick, and twice this week back to work have been looking for a beverage with some pretense at nutrition, but no bubbles, no chemicals, not too acidic. Grape juice has been crossing my mind, but just try to find a container of it. I can find kefir and kombucha and billions of energy drinks and every kind of orange juice and vitamin water. Wow, can I find water - flavored water, energy water, enhanced water, fizzy water. But I cannot find grape juice. WTH happened to plain grape juice?
Quote:
Alex - I'll look. Thanks.

Peanuts - I'm in DE. Inland (yes, it matters). At the beach, which is a 40 min drive, selection improves and prices skyrocket. Here in the more agricultural bit, selection can be limited. And very sort of mainstream American. We have no Costco on the peninsula, BJ's is 40 miles easily, Trader Joe's is 2 hours, and so on. Thanks for the organic thoughts, I will keep in mind.

tiff - "drink" is not juice (and we know it) and I also didn't want chemicals and acids on a sensitive stomach, which let most of the blends out.

I've had farmer's market grape juice and it was divine, but not shelf stable. It went cloudy in very little time. I guess you just have to drink it.
What type of sick are you? I know you said no acid but orange juice is the best to drink when sick with most colds or even pineapple. Coconut juice is supposed to be good too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products