Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2019, 08:18 PM

83 posts, read 57,728 times

Advertisements

I understand this is the same for lots of companies nowadays but I am so sick and tired of companies not giving a crap about making quality products anymore. For example, I am a gamer and bought the NES and SNES classic systems which along with just having lots of good games, through hacking I have put lots of other games on it and it's awesome, yet Sony recently released the PlayStation classic and it's a load of garbage. For one, they just added the OG PS controls as opposed to the dual shock controls, which are WAY better, they didn't even include a proper power adaptor making you either hoping to have one or buying one, but most egregiously, 9 of the games on the system are the crappy European versions as opposed to the American NTSC versions that run and play well, as opposed to the European versions that play like complete garbage,.

When it released I actually managed to convince a mother who was with her teen son not to buy that trash and told her it doesn't come with a proper power adaptor, the controllers are bad and many of the games are European and play like garbage and told her to buy a used PlayStation 3 that can natively play any PlayStation 1 games as well as buy many on the store. What's funny is it released selling for $100 yet given how crappy it was just after two weeks it was on sale for half off LOL.

Again, I am sure this can apply to many various industries, I just don't get why in today's time, everyone in charge of companies are stupid and dumb as hell and apparently doesn't understand that quality of any product is what should matter most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 10:47 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
Again, I am sure this can apply to many various industries, I just don't get why in today's time, everyone in charge of companies are stupid and dumb as hell and apparently doesn't understand that quality of any product is what should matter most.
So long as american consumers focus on Price as their main buying preference, companies have no reason to spend money on quality. Even a small 1% price increase from one competitor to another can result in millions in lost sales to the cheaper product. For every single consumer who care about quality, there are tens of thousands more who buy only on price.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:15 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Even Apple is discovering it can't build everything from pure unobtainium to NASA specs. There's a point where even the faithful won't pay $1k for a smartphone just because it doesn't have a plastic back.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:33 PM

96 posts, read 58,302 times
When I was in manufacturing, our team had a rule of thumb. Our customers always wanted three things: high quality, low price and immediate delivery. Our rule was we could only consistently deliver on 2 out of 3 of these criteria. We had to work with the customers to determine their real priorities.

If you find that quality is deteriorating, have you reflected on whether your demands for the lowest price and immediate availability might have something to do with it?

For a slightly different take (and I admit that I have nothing other than anecdotal evidence), I can offer the following story. I know of a company who was a leading national manufacturer in the clothing industry. Their president closed all their plants and moved all manufacturing to Asia. They were lauded for the actions and became a leading light for other "manufacturer". I know of another small privately owned company producing the same types of clothing who continues to manufacture locally. The owner is very much hands on and is far more worthy of being manufacturer of the year. When asked why he continues to manufacture locally rather than outsourcing, he replied that he and his team really enjoyed what they were doing and that they were proud of their products. His company remains profitable. He is happy. His team is happy and I can say from my experience, the quality of his product is superior.

Once a company comes under the control of the managerial class with their MBAs, virtually the only concern is the bottom line. Seldom (actually just once) have I encountered a president or members of the senior executive of a public company who bubbled over with genuine enthusiasm for their company products.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:02 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
So long as American consumers focus on Price as their main buying preference, companies have no reason to spend money on quality. Even a small 1% price increase from one competitor to another can result in millions in lost sales to the cheaper product. For every single consumer who cares about quality, there are tens of thousands more who buy only on price.
This. There are SO many examples. Airlines. Clothing. Shoes.

I realize that not everyone is in a position to do it but I vote with my dollars. I do a search on "_____ Made in USA" and have found what I want- my computer bag, and the last 2 tops and 2 dresses I bought are examples. A local store sells bird feeders made in the USA- I rarely buy things on-line unless I know the country of origin. I buy Birkenstock sandals. They're made in Germany and not cheap but more likely to last a for years and be good to my feet and also more likely to be made under fair working conditions. It doesn't work with electronics, of course, but it does with other items and I believe I save money in the long run and keep the cheap crap out of landfills because my items last longer. Even with electronics, I don't buy the cheapest, figuring it's likely to break down earlier. I also don't use the lowest-cost airlines and I fly Business Class on long hauls.

Sadly, it's the people who work at Wal-Mart who can afford only the cheap stuff sold there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products