Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:37 AM

666 posts, read 643,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
1. To be clear, it was NOT ME who did the ordering. It is Dh's account, he ordered for me.

He may have inadvertently clicked something that would invite Amazon to put a Prime charge on his account. I asked him but this was early December so he doesn't remember.

A co-worker of his uses Amazon frequently. According to him, just one wrong keystroke can get you something you don't want -- like a Prime account.

2. We never had Prime. DH MIGHT buy from Amazon once or twice in a year -- A Prime account would be flat out stupid.

3. The charge has been taken off his credit card, which --- he watches like a hawk so hopefully they don't put the charge back in, elst I will resurrect this thread and "go off on Amazon" again

4. The one good thing about Amazon is all the jobs they have brought to Tennessee.
I've been using Amazon pretty heavily since around 2004 and the bolded simply isn't true. Sounds like the coworker was just trying to commiserate with "DH".

As for the jobs they've brought here, you mean the low wage warehouse jobs that go through temp agencies? eh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 08:56 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times
If I was OP, I'd change the thread title to Amazon Will Get More Orders from Us for Fixing a Problem Immediately.

But that's me.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:05 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
I don't like Amazon hitting me up to join Prime over and over again. Occasionally I will get on the site to look for something and it prompts me to buy Prime as soon as I enter, conveniently offering to charge my credit card card for it No, I don't want your overpriced garbage program. If I did, I would be a member already. God knows I'm reminded of its existence often enough.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:09 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
I've been using Amazon pretty heavily since around 2004 and the bolded simply isn't true. Sounds like the coworker was just trying to commiserate with "DH".

As for the jobs they've brought here, you mean the low wage warehouse jobs that go through temp agencies? eh.

Err... Nashville is getting 5,000 "real" Amazon jobs in 2019 in 1 million square feet of office space with an average wage of $150k. Amazon operates as two different companies. The fulfillment centers are low paying, low skill jobs. "Real" Amazon jobs have typical tech company comp and benefits.

Anybody who is a frequent Amazon user bumps into the occasional issue. Unless you're a chronic customer service complainer or have a returns pattern that puts you on the problem customer list, Amazon makes good on pretty much any issue.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:18 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post

They're not low wage compared with similar employers. My nephew gets $15 an hour, where at Auto Zone he made $8 and change. he didn't go through a temp agency or any other agency. Not saying they are great for the economy, in fact their growing use of their own drivers is going to greatly hurt UPS and USPS, but it's silly to try to paint the warehouse jobs as inferior when all the other low skill jobs in a region pay much less.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:10 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,927,155 times
Quote:
DH has used Amazon off/on for a long time. I don't have an account so he used his to buy something I wanted.

A month or so later, along comes a charge of $14.99 or $15.99 (can't remember) on his credit card from Amazon.

So who does Amazon think they are to automatically charge for an Amazon Prime account that DH did NOT request.. And that's a monthly charge!

I will pay more money somewhere else before I ever use Amazon for anything again -- except toilet paper if that were possible
Over-react much to something that was probably your mistake, and Amazon apparently cleared up with no hassle?

I remember I didn't get a fairly expensive item from them once ($200), so they sent a second no questions asked. Well, that one came, and the first one finally showed up. So we called back, and they simply said "keep it".

As far as I'm concerned we've bough literally hundreds and hundreds of items off them, and have Amazon Prime. It's totally convenient, easy to use, and we've never had a problem.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:55 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Not reading anything further than that. 3rd party sellers are not Amazon. Amazon has no control over 3rd party sellers except to impose standards and ban sellers who don't abide by them. They do keep performance metrics on sellers and do ban sellers but they aren't going to do it for a single violation. Expecting Amazon to provide the product and price that a 3rd party seller offered and failed to do is like expecting your local newspaper to provide you a car at a price that a dealer advertised and failed to do. "Dang it, that XYZ Toyota didn't honor their misprinted price they advertised, I'm never gonna buy that ABC newspaper again!"
Maybe if you HAD read further, you would have seen where I chat/spoke to Amazon reps who were totally clueless about what went on. And you said it in your post: Amazon has no control over 3rd party sellers except to impose standards and ban sellers who don't abide by them. That is exactly what Amazon failed to do.

If I order something on Amazon, then I'd assume I was buying it from or through Amazon or at least with their blessing if it's through a third party. If I as a business am being represented by a third party, then I would make it my priority to see that those third parties are being honest in their representations of merchandise. If someone working for you gets naked in the middle of the street and says 'C'mon down! I work for Oceangaia!' you'd be the first one to fire them. You aren't going to tell them the first time they do that is a free pass and let it go because gee, it's only a single violation of your work ethics.

Your analogy to a car is misplaced. If a dealership fails to sell a car at a price they advertised because it's a mistake, then they need to correct that mistake. Lawsuits have been filed over this sort of thing before and they haven't upheld the right of the business to backpedal. If your analogy was correct, it would have been something along the lines of: I saw an ad for a car for such and such a price. I went to buy the car. My money was accepted. Then I was told the car price was not correct and I would have to pay more. And even if I refused to do so, my money would not be given back to me for 9 days.

We're not talking about Amazon being a disinterested newspaper with that car ad in it. Amazon is in the role of being the ad for the dealership itself.

And you would have thrown a fit.

The price on the canisters in this case had been the seller's error and I was perfectly willing to pay the higher price. The fact that Amazon assured me - twice - that a refusal to sell the canisters wouldn't happen again after an error in the price was pointed out to them (and assuredly the business knew their prices were wrong after my attempt to purchase them the first time) and the fact that Amazon failed to warn the business and the business continued to keep that false price up, is, to put it simply, fraud.

And the main reason I'm blaming Amazon is because I dealt with them in chat. If they're so screwed up they can't straighten something out after all that, plus previous orders that were messed up and were ordered directly from Amazon (not a third party), how can I trust them to get anything right.

Plus my money was held without a shipment being made, which is doubly irritating.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 01-28-2019 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-28-2019, 12:05 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Maybe if you HAD read further, you would have seen where I chat/spoke to Amazon reps who were totally clueless about what went on.

As far as buying anything on Amazon, I think it's still difficult to determine if you're buying through a 3rd party or from Amazon directly. If I order something on Amazon, then I'd assume I was buying it from or through Amazon or at least with their blessing.

If I as a business am being represented by a third party, then I would make it my priority to see that those third parties are being honest in their representations of merchandise. If someone working for you gets naked in the middle of the street and says 'C'mon down! I work for Oceangaia!' you'd be the first one to fire them. You aren't going to tell them the first time they do that is a free pass and let it go because gee, it's only a single violation of your work ethics.

Your analogy to a car is misplaced. If a dealership fails to sell a car at a price they advertised because it's a mistake, then they need to correct that mistake. Lawsuits have been filed over this sort of thing before and they haven't upheld the right of the business to backpedal.

The fact is, the price on the canisters in this case had been the seller's error and I was perfectly willing to pay the higher price. The fact that Amazon assured me - twice - that a refusal to sell the canisters wouldn't happen again after an error in the price was pointed out to them (and assuredly the business knew their prices were wrong after my attempt to purchase them the first time) and the fact that Amazon failed to warn the business and the business continued to keep that false price up, is, to put it simply, fraud.

And the main reason I'm blaming Amazon is because I dealt with them in chat. If they're so screwed up they can't straighten something out after all that, plus previous orders that were messed up and were ordered directly from Amazon, how can I trust them to get anything right.

Plus that fact that my money was held without a shipment being made.

How would an Amazon rep know what is going on in a 3rd party seller's world? There was nothing for them to straighten out.

Every single catalog item I've seen says in an outlined box at top right of page who it's sold by and who it's fulfilled by. Look for "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."

You have no clue what correspondence occurred between Amazon and seller. As I said, and from experience as a 3rd party seller, Amazon does keep performance metrics on sellers and you will get notices and warnings and ultimately suspension. But no, they generally do not administer the death penalty for occasional minor offenses. Perfection is not the standard.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:06 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,767,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
As far as buying anything on Amazon, I think it's still difficult to determine if you're buying through a 3rd party or from Amazon directly.
Yes, the "Sold by JoeBlowInc, Fulfilled by Amazon" slug is often in small type.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:09 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,434,870 times
Quote:
DH has used Amazon off/on for a long time. I don't have an account so he used his to buy something I wanted.

A month or so later, along comes a charge of $14.99 or $15.99 (can't remember) on his credit card from Amazon.

So who does Amazon think they are to automatically charge for an Amazon Prime account that DH did NOT request.. And that's a monthly charge!

I will pay more money somewhere else before I ever use Amazon for anything again -- except toilet paper if that were possible
They don't automatically charge, someone must have clicked on purchase prime membership or they chose the free for a month I think it is and then forgot to cancel. They bill in advance so all you had to do is call and say it was a mistake and cancel. They would have refunded the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products