Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 12:12 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,434,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
That charge does not have anything to do with Amazon and is likely part of a recent credit card scam. I suggest changing your card number immediately.

Wells Fargo debit card customers frustrated over fraudulent Amazon charges

https://www.wfla.com/8-on-your-side/...-up/1567138922

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/...-10254515.html
Good catch because I think Amazon prime is less that that a month (yep $12.99 a month).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 12:15 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,861,761 times
A bit of an overreaction IMO. They are normally very good to work with. They have to be since so many things get damaged in shipping. Its easy to compete with physical stores when you sell things for cheap but its harder to compete with brick & mortar return services.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:18 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,767,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Good catch because I think Amazon prime is less that that a month (yep $12.99 a month).
1) The OP can't remember the amount.
2) The case has been made over and over that it's pretty easy to trip over a Prime signup option.
3) The OP has never returned to explain any of the oddities in her first post.

and, maybe it's just me, but

4) Anyone who uses a term like DH is inherently suspect as to reliability. It's a cutesy-ism from the kaffeeklatch end of the online spectrum.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:22 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
How would an Amazon rep know what is going on in a 3rd party seller's world? There was nothing for them to straighten out.

Every single catalog item I've seen says in an outlined box at top right of page who it's sold by and who it's fulfilled by. Look for "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."

You have no clue what correspondence occurred between Amazon and seller. As I said, and from experience as a 3rd party seller, Amazon does keep performance metrics on sellers and you will get notices and warnings and ultimately suspension. But no, they generally do not administer the death penalty for occasional minor offenses. Perfection is not the standard.
So what you're saying is if you're a business that contracts out, as the CEO of that business, you don't know and don't care what your subcontractors are doing and you also think it's not your business to worry about it or correct it if something is done wrong. All I can say is I'm glad you're not building houses.

"Perfection is not the standard."

And now folks, you know why we have such crappy business standards in America today.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:26 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yes, the "Sold by JoeBlowInc, Fulfilled by Amazon" slug is often in small type.

Always in a consistent location., top right of every page. Example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T2I2YWS

There are three main scenarios. Sold by and fulfilled by Amazon means Amazon is 100% in charge. Sold by xyz and fulfilled by Amazon still leaves 3rd party seller to set prices but Amazon has physical possession and controls fulfillment (not sure if seller can cancel order) and refunds. Sold by and shipped from xyz is 100% 3rd party seller. I generally avoid the latter if item is expensive or delivery time is important as far more likely in my experience for smaller 3rd party sellers to cancel order, ship late, or even worse just ignore the order.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:27 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,767,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So what you're saying is if you're a business that contracts out, as the CEO of that business, you don't know and don't care what your subcontractors are doing and you also think it's not your business to worry about it or correct it if something is done wrong.
Amazon gives more than reasonable support to customers when dealing with third-party sellers. But they're not Nordstrom, either. They can't be responsible for every product and action sold through them, but they do ban sufficiently problematic sellers.

But if you're going to build your case on points that aren't true ("can't tell who you're buying from") none of that is likely good enough for you.

As both a customer and a seller for almost 20 years, I've had my share of irritations, but can't think of a (genuine) problem on either front that wasn't resolved in at least reasonably good order, if not over-and-above like keeping misshipped items.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I've often seen that claimed, never once seen it proven.
I have seen it happen with airline tickets. I look up airline tickets on my ipad and then look again later and the price has jumped but if I go to my computer it is back down to the lower price. Of course, prices can change daily with airline tickets too.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:35 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I have seen it happen with airline tickets. I look up airline tickets on my ipad and then look again later and the price has jumped but if I go to my computer it is back down to the lower price. Of course, prices can change daily with airline tickets too.

I said "I've often seen that claimed, never once seen it proven." I will place zero value on any responses claiming it, only ones that can prove it. Got a link for a working example? Didn't think so.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I have seen it a lot. The prices will go up and down and I get emails about the items in my cart and it gives me a notification that the prices have dropped. I look and they are back down some but not all the way back down to the price as when I first looked at it. I can open a different browser and look without logging into my account and it will often show a lower price.

I had prime for a couple of years but cancelled it. Their "free two day prime shipping" is actually two days from when they actually ship the item, not two days from when you order it. It was common for items I ordered and used two day prime shipping to not even ship for 3 or 4 days and then arrive two days later. I complained numerous times and was informed it is two days from when it leaves their warehouse not when you order by their customer service. I have bought items on Amazon and used two day shipping and bought items on ebay and other websites and used regular free shipping with them and the items from Amazon show up 2 or 3 days after the items I ordered elsewhere. I have also ordered items from other sellers on Amazon with regular shipping that they themselves fulfill not Amazon shipping and their items arrive days before Amazon prime. I got fed up with it.

I always compare prices on Amazon but if I can buy it for the same price or less, I always use Ebay. I often find the same item cheaper on Ebay anyway. Amazon isn't as good as it used to be.
I have never had that happen unless it wasn't actually coming from Amazon. Amazon sellers can also offer free prime shipping or just free shipping so check where it ships from. I am truly amazed at the delivery I get with Amazon. Order something late Friday night and it is delivered Monday and it came from California to Florida. I ordered something Friday last week and used the slow method getting a $1 credit for media (ebooks,video, music) but it still came Sunday. Beats going to the store and it was $20 cheaper (tax software)

Old 01-28-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I said "I've often seen that claimed, never once seen it proven." I will place zero value on any responses claiming it, only ones that can prove it. Got a link for a working example? Didn't think so.
Of course not but it did happen last year when I was checking airfares from Daytona to Boston for a wedding. I can't prove it to you, nor am I inclined to because I really don't care what you believe, but it did happen to me. Besides, giving you a link would prove nothing since I told you I looked on my ipad then immediately went to my computer and it was back to the original price. The price difference was only about $10 but it was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products