Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 12:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I have seen it happen with airline tickets. I look up airline tickets on my ipad and then look again later and the price has jumped but if I go to my computer it is back down to the lower price. Of course, prices can change daily with airline tickets too.
Airline prices jump around like crazy based on so many factors. I have google tracking a few flight prices for me. I get emails when the price changes. Prices go from $153 to $275 back down to $175 then up to $450... All in a matter of days. And this is through Google's tracking, not my computer's cookies. And the prices they give me are always accurate when I click through to the airline's website, or type out the website on a different device.

I think some people just happen to be looking while the prices are being changed. I doubt there is a time when no one is looking at flights, so odds are someone is going to see these changes in real time while looking up flights. I've never had it happen, so find it hard to believe that some people's computers can trigger these price changes while others don't. Where is the reasoning behind that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So what you're saying is if you're a business that contracts out, as the CEO of that business, you don't know and don't care what your subcontractors are doing and you also think it's not your business to worry about it or correct it if something is done wrong. All I can say is I'm glad you're not building houses.

"Perfection is not the standard."

And now folks, you know why we have such crappy business standards in America today.
Is Amazon building you a house?

Companies are made up of people. People are not perfect. Mistakes happen, and Amazon worked with you to correct that mistake. If you had ordered again during your first chat, the problem would have been easily solved with them crediting you the price difference. But instead you drag it out for days, engaging multiple customer service agents. Of course there is going to be a breakdown in communication.

And I can honestly say that I don't think Jeff Bezo is sitting around worrying about Joe Blow Inc. changing the prices of their canisters. As the CEO, he has more important things to worry about. That doesn't mean Amazon isn't doing anything to solve your issue. I just don't think Jeff Bezo is involved, and I don't think Amazon is going to publicly announce what actions they took against this seller. You can always do your part as well... Leave a bad review, and then don't continue buying from the same shady 3rd party seller.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:29 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,434,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So what you're saying is if you're a business that contracts out, as the CEO of that business, you don't know and don't care what your subcontractors are doing and you also think it's not your business to worry about it or correct it if something is done wrong. All I can say is I'm glad you're not building houses.

"Perfection is not the standard."

And now folks, you know why we have such crappy business standards in America today.
They actually do care. I ordered an item and was too quick about it to realize that it was coming from a third party and they charged me more for shipping then that the item sold for and the item was not heavy by any means. I was ordering several things and it was for my husband so the final amount didn't register. I called Amazon to complain and even though it was my fault they gave me a credit for the shipping to be used on anything sold by Amazon. They didn't have to do that. Yes, they care about what their third party shippers are doing and will cancel their seller accounts if they get a lot of legitimate complaints.

This is probably what happened to the person who it took 2 weeks to get a refund.
If you pay with a credit card and the item you order is sold by Amazon.com or one of our Merchant partners, we won't charge you until the order enters the shipping process. If you ordered from one of our Marketplace sellers, your card may be charged at the time of purchase."
The third party has to then initiate the refund by canceling the order and is the one to blame. Amazon doesn't know that there was a delay unless you call. It is up to you, if no refund in a reasonable amount of time, to contact Amazon and they will do the refund and will dock the third party seller. Enough of these problems and the third party seller will be removed. Personally I try and avoid third party sellers or at least those items which don't come from Amazon's warehouses. The exception is used books and then I expect a long delay in receiving. I will pay a little more for the same item coming from Amazon then from a third party.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:36 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,434,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Airline prices jump around like crazy based on so many factors. I have google tracking a few flight prices for me. I get emails when the price changes. Prices go from $153 to $275 back down to $175 then up to $450... All in a matter of days. And this is through Google's tracking, not my computer's cookies. And the prices they give me are always accurate when I click through to the airline's website, or type out the website on a different device.

I think some people just happen to be looking while the prices are being changed. I doubt there is a time when no one is looking at flights, so odds are someone is going to see these changes in real time while looking up flights. I've never had it happen, so find it hard to believe that some people's computers can trigger these price changes while others don't. Where is the reasoning behind that?
I don't know either and I have seen prices vary by day of the week but when I was looking up that flight and we were trying to decide whether to fly out of Orlando or Daytona I was looking on my ipad then when I went to book it went up. I thought that weird since it was only a few minutes since I last looked so I went to my computer to check and to book it and it was back at the lower price. It was weird. Something I never saw happen before and even when I checked it again on the ipad it was still the higher prices but after booking a day later I checked the price again and it was back to my booked price. Totally weird.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:02 PM

50,819 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yes, the "Sold by JoeBlowInc, Fulfilled by Amazon" slug is often in small type.
It’s in the same size type as when it says “shipped and sold by Amazon” and it’s right below the item. They don’t try to hide it, why would they?

Old 01-28-2019, 02:10 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,767,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s in the same size type as when it says “shipped and sold by Amazon†and it’s right below the item. They don’t try to hide it, why would they?
myself for failing to include smiley. My point was that every listing contains just that information.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
First of all... This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
That charge does not have anything to do with Amazon and is likely part of a recent credit card scam. I suggest changing your card number immediately.

Wells Fargo debit card customers frustrated over fraudulent Amazon charges

https://www.wfla.com/8-on-your-side/...-up/1567138922

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/...-10254515.html
I order from Amazon a lot. Since we moved to Las Vegas shopping is a pita. Where we used to lived everything was close. Here, not so much.

In my experience over the last 15 years I have had exactly one problem that was not resolved quickly. Being who I am I stayed after them and got it taken care of.

One not-resolved-immediately problem in 15 years.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
First of all... This.
The OP contacted Amazon, who refunded their money. If it was a scam, seems like Amazon would have brought this up instead of refunding them for the month of Prime.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The OP contacted Amazon, who refunded their money. If it was a scam, seems like Amazon would have brought this up instead of refunding them for the month of Prime.
Read all the posts and forgot that. I appreciate the correction.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:41 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Of course not but it did happen last year when I was checking airfares from Daytona to Boston for a wedding. I can't prove it to you, nor am I inclined to because I really don't care what you believe, but it did happen to me. Besides, giving you a link would prove nothing since I told you I looked on my ipad then immediately went to my computer and it was back to the original price. The price difference was only about $10 but it was there.

That's all I'm saying. Every time. Not saying you didn't have an experience. Btw, how do you know I don't have an ipad and a computer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products