Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 01:58 PM

886 posts, read 626,932 times

Advertisements

I was in Target store recently and browsed for sales in about 6 departments. Noticed that many of Target's percentage saving sales are 10 or 15%. I didn't see any posted signs for sales greater than a 20% saving. Even some 'clearance' areas had only 30% markdowns.

This seems to be Target's M.O., which is to have a small percentage savings on its weekly sales. Is this due to the fact that Target's only nationwide competitor is Walmart? Kmart is almost completely gone and isn't on most shoppers radar. Can Target have such pathetic sales because it's viewed as more stylish and fashion forward than Walmart?

Also, I'm aware that some shoppers won't patronize Walmart for political or social reasons.

Posters, your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 03:02 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,770,638 times
The purpose of sales are to draw in shoppers and sell more goods, accepting a lower unit profit in return. No retailer ever offers more of a discount than they have to in order to meet those goals.

Target's prices are low already and in many ways they have the market segment to themselves, so sales won't draw in any notable increase in shoppers. (Cf. Macy's, which has high prices except when they slash prices across a department at a time.) Even then, sales might not sell more goods because of the pricing, and might not bring more net revenue... but they tell shoppers they're getting a great deal and there are always great deals there, which brings them back time after time.

It's just a variation of "shelf news" or "product news," which grocery stores use on a daily basis. It mixes up the shopper's perceptions in favor of the seller.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
I've seen their red clearance stickers were marked down only 10%. It's not really clearance. It's a gimmick they use which gets some people to buy things.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:32 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
I've never been a Target fan (I know some LOVE it) - prices aren't great and quality generally is pretty poor (at least in clothing).

Old 03-18-2019, 01:00 AM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
There is a Target and a wally world near me, both have comparable prices. Target is much cleaner, has helpful employees, and a better mannered customer base.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 AM

419 posts, read 388,189 times
Most of my Target shopping is done in their food department but I have found good deals on home or pharmacy items. Usually that happens when their Cartwheel app has a percentage off a specific item. Combine the already discounted price with the Cartwheel discount, and often you can get a good deal.

There are great markdowns sometimes in Target's food items, often more than 50%. Again, combine that with a Cartwheel offer, and you can get some very good deals.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:27 PM

1,839 posts, read 678,287 times
Target also wants its loyal customers to use its credit card - 5% off. The most loyal customers will have the credit card and when using it, feel like they are getting a good price with that discount.

There are certain items you get at Target but not sure if it's at every (non super) Walmart. For example, I know that I can find Method brand, Seventh Generation, Meyers or Honest brand at Target. It's probably cheaper than Whole Foods. But, if I go to Walmart or ShopRite, I'd be looking the whole store (as they put natural brands sometimes in different places) and might find 1 out of the 4 brands. Walmart's placement is more encourage traditional brands (e.g. Tide, Cheer, etc.). On the other hand, if I'm buying a laundry bucket, I'd prefer checking out Walmart first. At Target, Target will prioritize shelf space for some designer styled laundry bucket that looks nice. Personally at first I'll buy it but then I'd realize it was totally unnecessary and overpriced.

I like Target's newer/smaller stores that have a CVS/Starbucks/grocery/electronics but fitted in a new compact store. This is one that opened in NJ:
https://www.courierpostonline.com/st...cus/976378002/
These are great for communities, in my opinion.

At the same time that I like compact stores, sometimes, I like going to very large super Walmarts. However, with Walmart, a lot has to do with the local area. Some just feel very downscale.

Last edited by g555; 05-09-2019 at 08:37 PM..

Old 05-10-2019, 10:16 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,770,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
Target also wants its loyal customers to use its credit card - 5% off. The most loyal customers will have the credit card and when using it, feel like they are getting a good price with that discount.
As with all such cards, the real reason for its existence is tracking. Which is only truly useful if it applies to a large percentage of shoppers, which is why Target has pushed it incessantly for the last decade. (I have three kids who worked there at various times and not infrequently were driven to tears by the pressure to push the card.)

Old 05-10-2019, 05:36 PM

15,423 posts, read 9,096,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
I was in Target store recently and browsed for sales in about 6 departments. Noticed that many of Target's percentage saving sales are 10 or 15%. I didn't see any posted signs for sales greater than a 20% saving. Even some 'clearance' areas had only 30% markdowns.

This seems to be Target's M.O., which is to have a small percentage savings on its weekly sales. Is this due to the fact that Target's only nationwide competitor is Walmart? Kmart is almost completely gone and isn't on most shoppers radar. Can Target have such pathetic sales because it's viewed as more stylish and fashion forward than Walmart?

Also, I'm aware that some shoppers won't patronize Walmart for political or social reasons.

Posters, your opinions?
Better than Walmart, which never has any sales at all. They just have that rollback scam. Raise the price, roll it back. Raise the price, roll it back, and they don't even do that very often, anymore.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:27 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I've never been a Target fan (I know some LOVE it) - prices aren't great and quality generally is pretty poor (at least in clothing).
I priced the identical vacuum cleaner at both Target and Walmart. Target's price was $40 higher.

One of our Super Walmart stores is nearly next door to a Super Target and the Walmart parking lot is continually packed while the Target parking lot is usually less than half full. Same size parking lots.

Albeit I acknowledge this is not related to Target - there is an eye care product I am required to use and at Walmart the cost is $9.97, while at CVS the identical product is $16.95. Yes, I realize some have a gripe about WM, but I'd have to question my logic to pay that much of a difference to avoid WM.

Last edited by katie45; 05-11-2019 at 06:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products