Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:09 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Tonight I just had it while shopping at a drug store. Its a nationwide chain, I won't name, for now.

I've shopped there infrequently for the past year or so. Seems every time I go in there, an employee confronts me as though I'm shoplifting. Usually I just leave, with no confrontation, since that's not the type of person I am. I don't like public confrontations, and usually just walk away. Well, I'd forgotten this store seems to have it in for me, and tonight went there. As I was browsing, trying to decide on some hair products, various deals, coupons, store deals, etc, well, guess I spent a little more time there than an ordinary shopper. Then, out of nowhere appears a store employee who says "Can I help you find something?" It wasn't so much what she said, but how she said it. Not like oh, how are you tonight, can we help you with something....or something halfway polite. Her question was very pointed. I decided I've had it. I'm sick of feeling like some sort of scum whenever I shop there. I just asked her do you think I'm shoplifting? There, get it out in the open, they want to call me out, so, I called them out. Put up or shut up! Then she say you don't need to get antagonistic! Hey, I wasn't, I was just responding to her question, shes' the one who approached me with the attitude!

I did find the store manager and asked if I'm being profiled for a shoplifter. Seems everytime I come in there I get that attitude. He wasn't even apologetic, just said no one accused you of shoplifting. Of course not, that would open up a lawsuit, but it was clearly implied!

Look, I'm 58, disabled, and was in a "high risk" aisle, items that have a high risk of being stolen, like makeup, etc. But you know something, sometimes, 58 year old disabled women actually BUY stuff, too.

The obvious thing is just to avoid this place in the future. Like I say, I just went in there for convenience tonight, there's plenty of other such stores around. So, should I send a well-worded email to their corporate, detailing how a disabled woman feels like a criminal in their store, or just forget the whole thing and avoid them in the future? I'd probably just get a computer generated letter---thank you for your comments, yadda, yadda..........

My concern is, I LIVE here. People I work with, my dh works with, my kids, etc, don't need to have a suspicion hovering over their mother. Innunendo can do a lot of harm.I felt I had to call them out on this because of the possible damage to my good name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 AM

271 posts, read 600,713 times
Are you sure you are not being a little paranoid about this?

Many times I am in various stores, like CVS or Walgreens, and an employee will ask me if I need help finding something, I never feel like they are trying to accuse me of shoplifting, I think they are just trying to help me. I just say no thanks, I am just looking for now. No one follows me around.

I work in retail too, and always greet the customer when they walk in, if they look as though they are trying to find something, I always ask if I can help them. I am not thinking they are going to steal anything. I am sincerely asking if I can assist them. This is called customer service.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:33 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Yeah, sounds like you're being a bit paranoid. I think it's more likely that the employees just aren't very happy working there, and that attitude comes through when they approach you. I could easily see that coming off as them thinking you're doing something wrong, especially if you're already predisposed to believing that they do.

If you want to shop there, shop there. If you don't, don't.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Look, I'm 58, disabled, and was in a "high risk" aisle, items that have a high risk of being stolen, like makeup, etc. But you know something, sometimes, 58 year old disabled women actually BUY stuff, too.
:
I think you answered your own question, you're in an high risk area for shoplifter's where everyone is more than likely being watched equally.
Shrug it off and be thankful someone is watching over you.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:11 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Paranoia strikes deep....

Old 04-21-2013, 01:09 PM

Ok, you had to have been there. It was NOT customer service. It was the attitude, body language, and delivery of the store employee. there was nothing friendly about her stance, it was confrontational.

I do know disabled are profiled as being high-risk for shoplifting. This isn't something I imagined, this is a fact, along with older women, teens. I've been confronted like this 5-6 times before in this store, with the same attitude, and finally got sick of it. I decided to call them out---do you think I'm shoplifting? I'm tired of being singled out, while others are allowed to wander the store freely without any "helpful" store employee on their tail. I don't like trying to act "innocent" when I am, when trying to buy shampoo!

Old 04-21-2013, 06:12 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
All you needed to do is say "No thank you'.

That's all.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
All you needed to do is say "No thank you'.

That's all.

No, I shouldn't have needed to respond in the first place--the "can I help you find something" was said in a confrontational manner, and this has happened every time I've been in this store.I finally got sick of being called out and just returned it. In the past, when I've said "just browsing, thanks", they keep on staring at me, asking what is it I'm looking for, etc, etc...how in heck do you answer such a question? I wasn't loooking for anything specific, just browsing among the various options for hair color, what do I say, I'm looking for semi-permanent, or permanent color, without ammonia, without sulfates, trying to decide if the store's deal is better than the coupon I have, yadda, yadda......I don't need them to pull every box off the shelf....is this what you want, is this what you want? No, it was quite obvious, buy something or quit hovering over the merchandise, it was frustrating, humilating, so.....why should I respond with tact when they are putting me on the spot? I need to be polite but they don't? sorry......just returning it the way it was delivered.........

Old 04-21-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Sherri View Post
Are you sure you are not being a little paranoid about this?

Many times I am in various stores, like CVS or Walgreens, and an employee will ask me if I need help finding something, I never feel like they are trying to accuse me of shoplifting, I think they are just trying to help me. I just say no thanks, I am just looking for now. No one follows me around.

I work in retail too, and always greet the customer when they walk in, if they look as though they are trying to find something, I always ask if I can help them. I am not thinking they are going to steal anything. I am sincerely asking if I can assist them. This is called customer service.

Its all in the attitude and tone of voice. This wasn't a "sincere" can I help you? this was a confrontational remark....it certainly wasn't "customer service" it was intended to call me out. Guess they figured they caught me in the act, since I left without buying anything. If she was going to buy something she would have by now...go over there and see what she's up to....yep, they caught me looking at a bottle of shampoo

Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I think Op is making something out of nothing. Offerig to help and can tell by how its said. I have to wander if the clerk said at home;I ask her if I cold help and she looked at me like might bite my headf off;dangerous to ask some if they need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products