Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 05:34 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times

Advertisements

I recieved the millionth call today from a company trying to sell me an extended warranty. I immediately told them to quit harassing me; I'm not interested and I hung up. I never buy any extended warranties. I have a warranty that comes with most of my purchases. If they sell me a defective product I will immediately return it and ask for my money back.

If I feel a product did not last as long as I felt was 'normal'; I will not buy the same product again. If I feel that a service facility did not service my product up to my expectations; I will not use them again. It is not only that I will not buy or use a company, after I feel they did inferior work or sold me an inferior product; I will also never recommend them to anybody. I will tell anybody, that ask me, not to use or buy that company's product or service.

In 1970 I bought a Toyota Corona. The car got stuck on level, flat, wet, grass and it would not start as soon as the weather got cold. The dealer told me that I needed a 'cold weather kit' to fix my starting problem and I asked them: why me; why did you sell me the car without one in a cold climate. One year later I traded in the vehicle for another vehicle from another company. I have never gone back to that dealer or have I ever bought another Toyota (even thought I know that they make many great cars because of what others have told me). All the people that have asked me, what local dealer to buy a vehicle from, I tell them to stay away from that dealer.

I have car service stations that I have not used in 20, 30, or 40 years because I felt they ripped me off and did not provide the service I expected. I also do not recommend them to anybody asking. They had their chance and they blew it!

I just feel that 'extended warranties' are a ripoff. If a company does their work right the first time or if they sell me a product that lives up to my expectations; why would I need to extend that warranty? It's almost like blackmail because I can picture where some companies make inferior products or provide inferior services simply to sell their extended warranties. What are your feelings on this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 06:03 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
We bought a Subaru Forester in 2014. We got sucked into sitting in a room with a women who was bound and determined to sell us an extended warranty. I told her time and again that if the vehicle as that fragile we were going to back out of the deal. After about a half hour of badgering we got out. never had a problem with the vehicle and we traded iit in on a 2017 Outback. No badgering this time!

Old 08-29-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We bought a Subaru Forester in 2014. We got sucked into sitting in a room with a women who was bound and determined to sell us an extended warranty. I told her time and again that if the vehicle as that fragile we were going to back out of the deal. After about a half hour of badgering we got out. never had a problem with the vehicle and we traded iit in on a 2017 Outback. No badgering this time!

I have an Outback and that was the phone call I just hung up on! They have persistently tried to get me to extend the warranty. They were not bad at first, but as the factory warranty started to run out; now it seems like they try every few weeks. They call and constantly mail me reminders. They first tried to tell me there was a time limit on the offer; but that time limit came and went and I am still hounded. Heck; I don't even drive the car unless the weather is bad. I only have 7,000 miles on it although it is a 2015, I had a chance to buy an old Buick LaSabre at the same time for only $1,000 and I want to run that until if finally quits. But these people will not take NO for an answer!

Old 08-30-2019, 12:51 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Extended warranties are a waste of money and a big profit to the dealer and a nice commission to the salesperson.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Extended warranties are a waste of money and a big profit to the dealer and a nice commission to the salesperson.
Here is one more 'insurance'/'warranty' that I would never buy: 'Car repair insurance': https://wallethub.com/edu/oi/car-rep...surance/10869/. In that article they also give options to purchasing the 'insurance'. In those options they recommend buying the manufacturer's extended warranty over the car repair insurance policies. But I do like their other alternative better: "Save the money – Finally, take the money you would have spent on insurance or an extended service contract and add it to your emergency fund. That will give you protection from unexpected expenses of the automotive and non-automotive variety."

These companies are all in business to make money; they are not giving it away for 'free'. The odds are against any individual saving money by purchasing one of these products.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:11 AM

645 posts, read 1,540,483 times
Might add for certain items purchased new, your credit card company may double your original warranty up to an additional year... TV came with a year warranty when bought with your eligible CC, you get an extra year... Free extended warranty. Theft and accidental breakage may also apply as well. My cards issued through PNC and USAA bank both have this perk, as do many others. Never have used this perk, so can not comment on the experience, validity, ease, etc.

Also, if damage was caused by the batteries installed in a certain device, you may have some recourse. I once had a pretty nice voltmeter destroyed by serious leakage from its Duracell batteries. Emailed the company with photos, and they asked what the current value for the device was. I did so, and was sent a check shortly after, along with some much appreciated coupons for free batteries. There used to be/maybe still is mentioned on the packaging, any damage caused by our batteries will result in what I mention... Might be worth the extra cost/read the label for a bit of peace of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products