Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 05:35 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It just seems like it would be a hardship to those who can't drive anymore.
Yeah; not everyone has a maid to take up the slack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 07:13 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Because federal farm subsidies have killed the family-run farm. It is exactly as you state in your last sentence - these farms are incentivized to sell to the corporate chains, the food goes to the big cities, and the rural areas get the crumbs.

Yes, this is it. My father’s family farm survived the Great Depression, WWII, but couldn’t survive big agribusiness. He and his brothers moved on to jobs in urban areas where they could make a living. No one wanted to work on a farm anymore. The family farms were bought and incorporated into huge corporate farms that don’t produce what people eat on a daily basis.

Also, try driving 50 miles one way in blizzard conditions to grocery shop. But, you live in that little town of 160 people that used to have 700 people, because it’s the only place you have ever lived and your house is paid for.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:29 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
I am at a loss at why more taxpayer support, financial or otherwise, should go to rural areas.

This includes subsidizing agri-business or grocery stores.

Small farmers are pushed into bankruptcy by agri-business using subsidies and tax dodges.

It seems that the more taxpayers pitch in, the worse it is for the small farmers, the ones who rotate crops, care for the soil, shop for groceries.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:38 AM

Two decades ago, we belonged to a food coop. We lived in a rural area at that time, and many of us wanted to eat more organic food and that simply wasn't available in the area.

We would meet, review the list of bulk items available, see who was interested in what, and then split it up.

For example, if the cheddar was sold in 10 pound blocks, if 5 people each got 2 pounds or 2 people got 5 pounds each, we'd order the cheddar.

And so on. People would pay for what they ordered, with an additional charge for shipping.

The order would come in a few days later, and smaller group would work the afternoon, cutting up the cheese, weighing out the flour, dividing up the tomatoes, etc.

That night, people would drop by and pick up their order.

It took more time than shopping, particularly when it was your turn to divide the order up, but it saved a bunch of money. We were all friends, so it was a good time.

People in rural areas could certainly do this. With all the computer technology available, you could even do it without an in person meeting to organize the order.

It would take a bit of organizing, but it can and has been done all over the country.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:09 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It just seems like it would be a hardship to those who can't drive anymore.
People choose to live in rural areas. It doesn't make sense to me, but they do. There also comes a time when they know they will need to move, to be close to amenities and especially medical care.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:39 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
People choose to live in rural areas. It doesn't make sense to me, but they do. There also comes a time when they know they will need to move, to be close to amenities and especially medical care.
You don't get it. A pleasant life is the goal of people who live away from cities. Barring bad weather, I'm as close to medical services as people in cities. If I die sooner because of my location I'll know that I've led the life that I desired. Giving me ten more years to exist because I live in urban squalor is not a tempting offer. This my home.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Houses cost less and many people prefer the peace and quiet that comes with more elbow room.

We live out in the country part of the year. I love listening to birds instead of buses. I love how dark it is at night. And how quiet it is.

But getting groceries takes a trip and when we do, we stock up. That just the way it is.

It is unrealistic to expect a well stocked grocery store to operate where customers are few and far between.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You don't get it. A pleasant life is the goal of people who live away from cities. Barring bad weather, I'm as close to medical services as people in cities. If I die sooner because of my location I'll know that I've led the life that I desired. Giving me ten more years to exist because I live in urban squalor is not a tempting offer. This my home.
Good for you and your choices in life.

But here we are talking about grocery stores fading from rural areas.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:59 PM

983 posts, read 995,605 times
I wish someone could figure this out. I mean, we want people to use their EBT card on healthy food and not junk food, then made fresh food available. Rural grocers are closing, small farmers go out of business, farmer’s market have more and more jewelry, scented soap, and other trinkets, but NO FOOD! Not everybody has the skills to raise a good producing vegetable garden, and properly can or pickle the harvest to last all winter and spring. We don’t have home economics classes anymore, do we need to have schools teach those life skills?

Old 10-09-2019, 08:13 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I live a bit over twenty miles from my nearest supermarket, a Super Walmart. Big Deal! I don't walk; I drive.
What if you had no car to use to get food? There are lot's of folks that don't have any way except walking. What then??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products