Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 11:33 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Costco Draws the Line on Customers.

The retail giant limits how many shoppers can enter on a membership card.

https://www.newser.com/story/288987/...customers.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 05:31 AM

417 posts, read 455,535 times
Truly this makes sense. My husband and I can and do go in together sometimes but it's not a social outing. I realize those with young'uns cant leave them home, but I guess as long as it's a 2 adult household, they either stay home or in the car with the other adult. I can see this being a hardship for either single parent households or even two parent households when not everyone is available, but overall the pros outweigh the negative.
Not a social outing- keeping exposures to a minimum all around.
I was soooo impressed with Costco. Went there 2 days ago and they set the example for how it should be done.
Employees wiping down keypads between each customer (even on gas pump) , wiping down each cart, plastic shield between customer and cashier, cashier wiping down belt and area between customers. and on and on. Also most employees were wearing gloves and some with masks as well.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
My wife went for the senior early opening Tuesday but never parked, seeing the line waiting to enter going across the front and completely down one side, in the rain. They were advising to get the 30-45 minutes before opening to be in the front of the line. Yesterday my in-laws decided to try at 1pm, and went right in, and even got toilet paper. I like the cardholder entry limit, only two of us ever go together anyway, but currently I'm more vulnerable due to as medical condition so she goes alone. Next time she will go at 1pm on a weekday.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:08 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
DS reported yesterday that on his weekly Costco trip (family of 4, he goes alone) he was seeing whole families at the one in Des Moines. I'm glad Costco is cracking down.

A friend reported yesterday that he'd gone to the one near him in Overland Park, KS for the special early senior shopping times and it was mobbed. He went home, came back in the middle of the day and got right in.

I've cut back my Costco runs to every other week and don't intend to go during "senior hours" even though I qualify.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:11 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
This should have always been the case, and I hope it continues post-corona.

Costcos are chaotic enough, and having a group of 6 wandering around in a human blob just makes it worse.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:32 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post

Costcos are chaotic enough, and having a group of 6 wandering around in a human blob just makes it worse.
My granddaughters LOVE the samples at Costco and we occasionally get a meal there after shopping when I visit. (Yes, I know they've stopped samples as well as dining now, for good reason.) If things ever return to "normal" I hope they'll resume both.

Not sure you comply with the current rules if you have a couple of kids who are too young to leave at home and no one else to care for them.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Not sure you comply with the current rules if you have a couple of kids who are too young to leave at home and no one else to care for them.
The new rule is 2 people per membership card. If you have 2+ kids, and no one to take care of them, then you don't go to Costco.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post

Their previous rule was 2 guests + all your kids per membership card. I wouldn't mind if they changed it to simply 2 guests per membership card. Each family gets 2 cards, so a family of 6 seems like more then enough people for a shopping trip. Any more then that, it doesn't seem like you'd be able to keep track of your kids while also concentrating on your shopping.

But then the question becomes, how does someone feed their 10 children a Costco samples lunch if they're not all allowed in at once?

Old 04-04-2020, 04:45 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
No samples at the moment, so no lunch.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:13 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Their previous rule was 2 guests + all your kids per membership card. I wouldn't mind if they changed it to simply 2 guests per membership card. Each family gets 2 cards, so a family of 6 seems like more then enough people for a shopping trip. Any more then that, it doesn't seem like you'd be able to keep track of your kids while also concentrating on your shopping.

But then the question becomes, how does someone feed their 10 children a Costco samples lunch if they're not all allowed in at once?
At least at the 2 or 3 COstcos near me, kids are only a portion of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products