Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 04:35 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times

Advertisements

My grocery bills have gone WAY up because I am normally a sale shopper.

Eggs have not been hard to find nor expensive, unlike one poster’s experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 04:48 PM

163 posts, read 86,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My grocery bills have gone WAY up because I am normally a sale shopper.

Eggs have not been hard to find nor expensive, unlike one poster’s experience.
This. I don't think I've seen prices go up dramatically, but there isn't much on sale either!

Old 05-13-2020, 04:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
I will say that egg prices have gone up a little. In January, they were 0.99/doz. In February, they were on a "Just for U" special at Safeway for $0.28 (yes, that low). They have been fluctuating between $1.29-1.49.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:53 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I feel like meat prices have gone up and like some have said if you turn to local options for produce versus the stuff trucked into the grocery store from Mexico, it's a good bit cheaper and better quality.

I hate to bl;ow your bubble BUT in May, there is little produce that comes out of Mexico as its growing season on most products end in April.

That Mexican produce is what provides American consumers with the wide variety of produce that is now available during the winter months. And unlike the corporate farms in Arizona, California and Florida, much of the Mexican produce is still grown on family farms.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:01 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Beans are hard to find particularly Navy beans. I was hoping to make white beans and rice but have not been able to find the beans. Rice is available but in low supply. Beef is up about 25% and chicken around 10%.

Eggs seem plentiful and not increasing in price noticeably. Milk is the same.

My takeaway from this is you buy what you need and not what you would like. Substitute items you can afford and roll with it. Yes you may like steak but maybe a hamburger would be enough.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:02 PM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We noticed that avocados were $3 each, but that does happen sometimes anyway. We go a few other things at Safeway and didn't see any price increases, just a few empty places on the shelves. They did have yeast, finally. Most of our bigger shopping like meat, eggs, butter, flour and sugar we get at Costco and their prices have stayed the same.
Wow.... paid .77, for avocados, today!

Old 05-13-2020, 05:16 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Some things have went up in price. But noticed lot stuff again available and not horrible price rise. Wally had the 4lbs bags of lentils back in stock. Aldi had both TP and paper towels back.

I wonder how much its improving supply chain and how much is people not having money to buy groceries, they are parked in long line at the food banks.

I blame it all on that loony old orange wizard giving me the evil eye and shouting "may you live in interesting times".... Oh well. Just cause I wouldnt buy any steaks out of the trunk of his car.

I am not that fond of these interesting times, but guess nobody is. Like I've said before, at least we are not experiencing "the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air" It could be worse times. Think what your average Syrian peasant has went through.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:30 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Some things have went up in price. But noticed lot stuff again available and not horrible price rise. Wally had the 4lbs bags of lentils back in stock. Aldi had both TP and paper towels back.

I wonder how much its improving supply chain and how much is people not having money to buy groceries, they are parked in long line at the food banks...........
Or maybe not having space to store anything extra. Especially if it's perishable.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:33 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I have not noticed. I read somewhere that ground beef is going up (while the price of steak has been decreasing). But I don't really buy ground beef much.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:24 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Wow.... paid .77, for avocados, today!
My somewhat informed guess is that more avocados are consumed each year on Cinco de Mayo than any other day and the crops were well underway to accommodate that before this virus changed the way we live.

I've always seen high avocado prices leading into the beginning of May and substantial discounts after. This year we instead Had Cinco de Nada and there are tons of avocados that need to be discounted to record low price levels or end up in dumpsters across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products