Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2020, 10:11 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,230,544 times

Advertisements

I have been sleeping on a pillow for a year that I love (has maintained firmness and loft) that has yellowed, due to sweat stain, despite being protected by a pillow protector (that has also yellowed due to sweat stain) and a pillow case.

If I place a new pillow protector on the pillow, will the yellowing on the pillow quickly seep into the new pillow protector?

Do most people replace a pillow when it is simply sweat-stained or only when it loses firmness or loft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 12:16 AM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Can't you just wash the pillow?
Not everyone replaces a pillow yearly. Surely not expensive pillows. Most could be washed, though. Just make sure it's really, REALLY dry. If you can, let it sun dry. Fluffy from time to time.

If you use a pillow protector and pillow cover AND wash them often, they shouldn't be yellowed with sweat stains, except you sweat profoundly in bed... which isn't uncommon.

What is your pillow made of? (the filling)

Last edited by elnina; 07-19-2020 at 12:24 AM..

Old 07-19-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Can't you just wash the pillow?
Not everyone replaces a pillow yearly. Surely not expensive pillows. Most could be washed, though. Just make sure it's really, REALLY dry. If you can, let it sun dry. Fluffy from time to time.

If you use a pillow protector and pillow cover AND wash them often, they shouldn't be yellowed with sweat stains, except you sweat profoundly in bed... which isn't uncommon.

What is your pillow made of? (the filling)

I have never washed a pillow before, but I will try washing it. The pillow has polyester fill.

Old 07-19-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I have never washed a pillow before, but I will try washing it. The pillow has polyester fill.

Oh yeah - absolutely no problem
Wash it with your regular laundry detergent, maybe with a couple of towels to fill the washer, dry on medium heat in the dryer (interrupt the drying process few times to fluff the pillow and prevent clumping) then if you can, finish with sun drying.
Start in the morning, so you have plenty of time for some air drying. If you feel any clumps, then unclump them with your hands to make your pillow even filled (if needed - depends on the filling).
Your pillow will look and smell like new.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:18 PM

Forgot to add: before washing the pillow - remove the pillow cover and pillow protector. You can wash all that stuff together with the pillow and towels or bedsheets. Otherwise, the pillow alone will tumble in your washer very loud due to uneven laundry distribution.
If you wash it just with white bath towels, you can add 1cup bleach for desinfektion.
User color safe bleach if your bedsheets/towels aren't white.

I found this tutorial online. It might look like a big task, but isn't.
The same way you can wash your comforter. If your washer is too small for that task, use public laundromat.

https://www.practicallyfunctional.co...shing-machine/

Old 07-20-2020, 02:10 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
I wash our pillows all the time(gentle cycle, cold or warm water). I always opt for an "extra rinse" cycle, just to make certain all the detergent is removed. Then I toss them into the dryer with 2 new tennis balls that I keep in the laundry room just for that purpose. The balls will do the work of fluffing up the pillows for you.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh yeah - absolutely no problem
Wash it with your regular laundry detergent, maybe with a couple of towels to fill the washer, dry on medium heat in the dryer (interrupt the drying process few times to fluff the pillow and prevent clumping) then if you can, finish with sun drying.
Start in the morning, so you have plenty of time for some air drying. If you feel any clumps, then unclump them with your hands to make your pillow even filled (if needed - depends on the filling).
Your pillow will look and smell like new.

Thank you. I successfully washed the pillow the sweat stains have been removed.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:32 PM

Yay!!!
Thank you for the update!!

Old 07-21-2020, 03:37 PM

326 posts, read 200,980 times
After washing,I use 2 pillowcases simultaneously in the hopes of keeping the actual pillow cleaner for longer

Old 07-23-2020, 06:44 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,425,852 times
Great tips here. I recently washed pillows - I love how they smell so clean. (truth be told, some staining I did not come out but at least it's less and I know they are clean). The body oils are really hard to get out. I do like the idea of 2 pillow cases or maybe 2 pillow protectors.
Good suggestion to start in the morning as I remember took a long time to dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products