Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 10:51 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times

Advertisements

Disposable. Cloth masks are too hot. I do however keep a cloth mask in my purse in case I forget the disposable one or the string breaks on me (which happened back in May).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 11:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The type of masks that are readily available work between 7% and 65%. Almost all people are using one of these and are not getting much protection but they are helping reduce the spread if they have the virus. Face shields have been shown to be more effective than that.
Where is that information from?

The Swiss are saying otherwise:
Plastic visors do not protect reliably
The analysis of the cases and the transmission routes has shown that the plastic visors, which are particularly common in the catering industry, do not offer sufficient protection against infection. The canton doctor therefore advises against using plastic visors on their own, as they give a false sense of security. If the distance of 1.5 meters cannot be maintained, face masks or other suitable measures are recommended. With a view to the summer season, companies that have previously relied on the protection of plastic visors are recommended to revise their protection concepts.

https://www.gr.ch/DE/Medien/Mitteilu...020071401.aspx

Old 08-30-2020, 11:16 PM

11,477 posts, read 6,002,443 times
I hate them all and refuse to get used to any of them. I will not be programmed to accept masks as the "new normal". The sooner we get back to not wearing masks as a matter of course in our daily lives, the better.

Mask are a necessary evil at best. It sickens me to see people embrace them as a fashion statement or a fun item of clothing. They are not. They are a medical necessity at best and should be seen and treated that way.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:44 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Where is that information from?

The Swiss are saying otherwise:
Plastic visors do not protect reliably
The analysis of the cases and the transmission routes has shown that the plastic visors, which are particularly common in the catering industry, do not offer sufficient protection against infection. The canton doctor therefore advises against using plastic visors on their own, as they give a false sense of security. If the distance of 1.5 meters cannot be maintained, face masks or other suitable measures are recommended. With a view to the summer season, companies that have previously relied on the protection of plastic visors are recommended to revise their protection concepts.

https://www.gr.ch/DE/Medien/Mitteilu...020071401.aspx

The important point is the greater emphasis medical professionals are placing on the fact that the virus is truly airborne. For a long time the CDC and WHO have dragged their feet in declaring the virus truly airborne despite evidence from the very beginning that it is.

The difference is that the guidance for lesser effective masks and shields depends on the virus being transmitted solely by larger droplets that will fall to earth ballistically within a short space and time. That's the scenario in which a shield could be considered effective.

But many doctors have argued from the beginning that the virus is truly airborne and can ride on the tiniest of droplets that may stay suspended for hours...in which case, shields are ineffective. I haven't checked very recently to see if CDC and WHO have gotten officially on board with that.

Declaring the virus truly airborne puts the pressure on greater use of N95 and KN95 masks for anyone who has to work in more risky conditions.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:32 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
People are working to develop clear masks that are yet effective and practicable. There may already be some designs that fit the bill, but getting them tested and then mass-manufactured is where designers are running in circles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8bxuoyr1eQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=covi...w=2048&bih=989

Thanks for posting. I've seen some of those types & I know from being in the teaching field that little kids need to see the teachers' mouths to help w/ reading, etc.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:52 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I do not wear cloth masks. It just goes against my medical training. I have KN95, N95, and surgical disposable. I wear the N95 with a surgical mask over it to keep the N95 cleaner and because they are too old now. Cloth masks don't protect you from the virus. The KN95's are better than cloth masks but in my opinion, not as good as the N95's. I toss the surgical mask after a single use in stores. If it's worn for a quick minute picking up carry out, I just hang it in the sun for an hour or two and use it again.

I just go into "hospital clean" mode with this virus. It's that important. This bug is a beast.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:03 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I do not wear cloth masks. It just goes against my medical training. I have KN95, N95, and surgical disposable. I wear the N95 with a surgical mask over it to keep the N95 cleaner and because they are too old now. Cloth masks don't protect you from the virus. The KN95's are better than cloth masks but in my opinion, not as good as the N95's. I toss the surgical mask after a single use in stores. If it's worn for a quick minute picking up carry out, I just hang it in the sun for an hour or two and use it again.

I just go into "hospital clean" mode with this virus. It's that important. This bug is a beast.
Are you working in the medical field?

Have you tried washing the N95 mask in a lingerie bag? You can do the same with the paper surgical masks. I don't dry them, I let them dry in the sun. They come out really well

Old 08-31-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post

For some reason, the site software won't let me rep you.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Are you working in the medical field?

Have you tried washing the N95 mask in a lingerie bag? You can do the same with the paper surgical masks. I don't dry them, I let them dry in the sun. They come out really well

They can't be washed because that compresses the "labyrinth" structure of the multiple layers.

But they can be gently cooked.

Quote:
A new study found that 50 minutes of dry heat in an electric cooker decontaminated N95 respirators inside and out while maintaining their filtration and fit. This could enable wearers to safely reuse limited supplies of the respirators.

They verified that one cooking cycle, which maintains the contents of the cooker at around 100 degrees Celsius or 212 Fahrenheit for 50 minutes, decontaminated the masks, inside and out, from four different classes of virus, including a coronavirus -- and did so more effectively than ultraviolet light. Then, they tested the filtration and fit.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0806164654.htm

Heck, that means leaving the mask out on my dashboard in the Texas heat has been working well.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:12 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I'm not going to do searches for all the RELIABLE places that have disabused the idea that leaving a mask in the sun kills the virus - in fact, it degrades the paper masks and the good ones actually have warnings to not leave out in the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products