Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 08:47 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Huh? People are buying new clothing in stores and online. Nothing is being done with that. Just wash your clothes when you buy them. Not a big deal. People should was all new clothing, bedding, and linens anyway. New fabrics are treated with nasty chemicals to keep bugs away and fabric stabilizers. You don't want that stuff on your skin. It's nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 07:10 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Did everyone forget how long C-19 can survive outside a host?

Have we completely lost our minds?

Living in fear is not good.
Yes, we have all lost our collective minds. I make sure all the used clothing I buy wears a mask and socially distances itself, you know, I cut off it’s Facebook and Instagram accounts. No socializing at all. Then I make it quarantine in the basement for 2 weeks before it emerges into the real world.

Other people, with a death wish, just wash the clothes before they wear them.

Old 10-11-2020, 11:26 AM

740 posts, read 456,814 times
I don't see any more risk buying new or used items, especially from a public place like a store. Both new or used clothes have a chance to be touched by someone infected with COVID and not know it. I went to a thrift store yesterday and the store was pack as usual. I actually regret walking in....putting myself at risk with that many people inside a building. The only saving grace was that everyone was wearing face mask.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:31 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
So let all donated clothes sit for a week before handling them and sorting/putting out on the sales floor, problem solved.

As people have said on the other thread about used clothing, I'd be more worried about lice/bedbugs than COVID because it'll survive for less time and is much easier to eradicate (see my first sentence above).

Old 10-25-2020, 05:59 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Unfortunately, many of the shelters are not accepting clothing donations now. Part of the problem is the logistics of sorting and storing the clothes whilst they are running with diminished staffing.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:31 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
So let all donated clothes sit for a week before handling them and sorting/putting out on the sales floor, problem solved.

As people have said on the other thread about used clothing, I'd be more worried about lice/bedbugs than COVID because it'll survive for less time and is much easier to eradicate (see my first sentence above).

I tend to agree, but I'd still be pretty worried if let's say I bought some clothing KNOWING that a person w/ COVID wore it. It could sit out in the sun for 7 days & I'm sure it would kill any germs, but NO article of clothing will be that unique or rare that I'd just have to have that specific piece of clothing. I'll buy NEW...better to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Unfortunately, many of the shelters are not accepting clothing donations now. Part of the problem is the logistics of sorting and storing the clothes whilst they are running with diminished staffing.

So, yes, COVID's affected this industry in one way or another.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:43 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
My 17-year-old just came back from the thrift store with a bag full of clothing. A 100% cashmere Talbots sweater, American Eagle pants, a couple more nice pullovers and a dress. It all fits her, all looks brand new, and she got everything for $20. What's not to like? These items are no more likely to be harboring Covid than new clothes are, and she probably saved $300 over buying everything new. I have never understood why people feel that used but still perfect clothes are icky. They can be washed, can't they?

Actually, I have a feeling that people who won't buy used clothes because of Covid weren't that crazy about buying used clothes, or used anything, before Covid, either.

I had a friend who thought used books were icky. She only read brand new books that she ordered online; just didn't want to think that anyone had paged through a book before her even in a bookstore, and certainly not in a library. I encouraged her in her madness because after she read the books once, she would give them to me.

Old 10-27-2020, 04:06 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Some people are just paranoid. I buy a combination of new and used clothes, depending on the item, and it gets washed before I wear it, regardless.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:45 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My 17-year-old just came back from the thrift store with a bag full of clothing. A 100% cashmere Talbots sweater, American Eagle pants, a couple more nice pullovers and a dress. It all fits her, all looks brand new, and she got everything for $20. What's not to like? These items are no more likely to be harboring Covid than new clothes are, and she probably saved $300 over buying everything new. I have never understood why people feel that used but still perfect clothes are icky. They can be washed, can't they?

Actually, I have a feeling that people who won't buy used clothes because of Covid weren't that crazy about buying used clothes, or used anything, before Covid, either.

I had a friend who thought used books were icky. She only read brand new books that she ordered online; just didn't want to think that anyone had paged through a book before her even in a bookstore, and certainly not in a library. I encouraged her in her madness because after she read the books once, she would give them to me.

Yes, that's a great deal for all that. If the tags are still on them, all the better. Some people are just turned off by that used/musky, etc. smell the moment you step into the building. I wouldn't be surprised if it gives some people headaches. Everyone has their prerogative.

And now, they sell this at the stores & it says proven to kill COVID, so you can have even more peace of mind when washing clothing. I'm going to buy this stuff next time I go to Target/Walmart:

https://www.lysol.com/laundry/laundry/

Old 12-02-2020, 05:44 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
DDIL buys most of the kids; stuff at consignment shops. They look adorable. She and DS aren't concerned about COVID and neither am I, although we take all the other recommended precautions- distancing, avoiding crowds, masks, takeout only, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products