Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 12:34 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times

Advertisements

I've used Bounty paper towels (regular Bounty, not Essentials) forever, and I've also noticed a difference in the past 2-3 months or so. They're a little thicker, stiffer, less absorbent, and the sheets are slightly longer. I haven't noticed any roller marks or other discolorations. These are either being made on different equipment or with different materials than the ones I've been buying for decades.

Ditto on the changes in the red-package Charmin.

Neither are an improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 02:04 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I'm just about running out of paper towels, the last batch I bought was probably a couple of years ago. I use cloths for most things these days. I have one old dishcloth in particular that is complete tatters and used for cleaning up grease spills on the stove, sopping up schmutz on the floor, and the dirty tasks that I would have used a paper towel for. It gets tossed in the wash with towels and always comes out clean and a little more tattered.

The shift came about naturally; as the paper towel quality got worse, they simply would not do the jobs they used to unless close to an entire roll was used. It was much easier to just grab an old dishtowel instead, not caring if it got stained or torn.

There is a fabric called "Zorb" that is supposedly HIGHLY absorbent, although a little pricey. I may try some of that, but the cotton of old dishcloths and towels works well.

FWIW, there is a fabric cleaning technique called "stripping" where you add washing soda to hot hot water and throw dirty stuff in overnight to soak. Using a degreaser or detergent would do about the same. The idea is that the heat and chemicals and time strip out all the grease. It can be rough on fabric, but in a cleaning cloth situation, so what?

I can't see spending a lot on "premium" paper towels that get tossed, when I have old real towels that do a better job, don't have to be lugged home from the store, and cost nothing.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:40 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Are you sure you didn't buy Bounty Essentials (their value brand)? Bounty Essentials isn't the same as Bounty. Bounty Essentials is more of a competitor to Sparkle and Scott.
I just went and checked in the pantry, and apparently we've used the last roll, but the new unopened package we have is just Bounty (not Essentials) in a green package wrap. I didn't know they had an economy line. The napkins are also just regular Bounty in a green package but they're so thin you can practically see through them.

Checked on the Charmin as well. It's called Ultra Soft and is in blue package. It's fine - much, much better than the cheaper stuff.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Well, We buy Kirkland paper towels and bath tissue. I consider those products the best for our purposes. I buy Vanity Fair Everyday napkins for day to day table use. The quality feel of these might be different.

On the table napkins, I might just buy a couple yards of material and make cloth napkins.

I am appalled sometimes by our profligate use of paper products which go into landfills.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:19 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I think I have Bounty from a long time ago (yrs. possibly?) - I seldom use paper towels so the rest will probably last for a couple more years. As for napkins, I use whatever is cheapest or things from fast food restaurants, etc.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:03 PM

4,848 posts, read 2,665,246 times
damn, we (household of 4) use up a roll of Bounty paper towels about every four or five days..select-a-size..

Old 07-06-2021, 06:17 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I'm a Brawny person myself. But have bought Bounty from time to time.

Can't say I've noticed a quality difference. I buy stock up every 2-3 years. I'm in year 2 of a 3-year stock up now. So won't buy more until 2023. (Unless there's a sale I feel I just can't pass up.)

I love Viva -- which are more expensive than Bounty or Brawny. So I hardly ever buy them unless they're on a DEEP discount. Which they hardly ever are. They really are like "cloths" vs "paper."

Old 07-06-2021, 06:35 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
When I was able to buy Charmin Ultra Soft again I noticed that the individual sheets have actually changed in size. They used to be square sheets, now they are rectangular and smaller in size.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
One irritating thing I’ve noticed is how small individual facial tissues have become.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:27 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
One reason I've been looking at buying Bounty, in addition to Brawny, is that I prefer full size sheets. And the Bounty full size option seems to be more available in stores where the Brawny full size is not.

And they're both premium brands. So, lately, as long as it's full size, I'll buy either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products