Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2021, 02:37 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

Do any of you know which is usually the cheapest OR does it differ based on the coupon(s) at the time?
How about the best variety of items, which I assume is probably HL since it's the largest?
Any other comments at all?

You may say it depends on what you want to get. I'll plan to maybe go to all 3 stores this week to see & make note, but just wanted to ask just in case!

Michaels has a printable 20% off coupon (& I hope it's not just because of Labor Day wknd).
Joann has a 40% pff coupon (& again, hope it's not just because of Labor Day wknd).
HL used to have printable 40% off coupons, but not anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 03:38 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
I was told by a manager at Hobby Lobby that they no longer offer coupons as of the first of this year. And if I bought something full price at one store and it went on sale within a set amount of time I had to return it to THAT store to get the sale price. I ended up paying full price for my items at the HL across town because I had been to the store close to me when things were on sale, then went to the other one the next week when things weren't on sale, I was told to come back or buy the items next week when on sale, well, no, not if I can't get what I want at the store closest to me. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

BUT, HL has way more items than Michaels. I have been going to both for scrapbooking items and fall flower stems. Michaels is pathetic compared to HL. Sorry, I don't shop Joann's. Thanks for the idea, tho. I think of Joann as a sew-ers paradise.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:15 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Very good question. I think it does depend on what you are looking to purchase. They all have major promotions which makes me realize how inflated the "regular" prices are. I know the few times I have gone to HL they have almost everything at 50% off. For frames and such, I know Michael's often has that same 50% off. I also have gone to Joanne's but much less often - I do believe they also have their sales regularly.
Hard to compare apples to apples as I don't think they have the exact same merchandise. Anyone else know?

Old 09-09-2021, 12:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It depends on what you are buying. Hobby Lobby is the only one of those with a stained glass supply section, for example. My wife does sewing and only JoAnne has a good fabric section. For most of my crafting supplies (mostly woodworking) I stick to HL because they have a better selection and I'm there anyway for stained glass materials. I might tag along with my wife to Joanne sometimes and get a few things, but we rarely go to Michaels or Ben Franklin.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:04 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I'll put it to you that NO retail store in the U.S. has a "good" fabric selection. Not only that, I'll prove it to you.

Go anywhere in a t-shirt and TRY to find a fabric that matches the plain jersey knit of your t-shirt. You won't. Then, try to find a similar knit in more than one color that has four way stretch. OMG, you will be looked at cross-eyed for being so brazen. You will find all sorts of novelty fabrics, fabrics that match the colors of your favorite (insert sport here) team, but not the everyday fabrics we live with. Wanna make a fleece t-shirt with puppies on it? You're fine.

Deva used to use a plain cotton fabric that was common in India and other areas. Good luck finding anything close. At best, you might find a denim that can pinch-hit.

I won't even BEGIN to rail about fabrics used to make a suit jacket. Al Capone would be forced into fake fur.

Hobby Lobby... not goinna go there.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:54 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Last time I was in Michael's, they had no fabric.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:53 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Michaels has begun carrying fabric. I just wish they would improve their art supplies line, which has declined over the past few years.

You can get a 20% off coupon while standing in line to check out on your phone. They offer 20% off on the entire purchase every week. There is no reason to pay full price there for anything. Of course, prices are inflated to allow the 20% off “reduction.” Sometimes, they will run a special promotion on certain brands.

You can enroll in a “points” rewards system, but I suspect it is really a harvesting scheme. I’ve never received any rewards.

I do not care for Joannes. Their fabric is usually disappointing. When I gave up sewing, I simply stopped visiting the store. I detest Hobby Lobby. You have to navigate through aisle after aisle of cheap Chinese made “decorator” junk to get to hobby supplies. Their art supplies are disappointing.

Some people buy sewing and craft supplies at Walmart. But I can find almost nothing I want to buy there. If you live in a small town, that might be your only convenient source for sewing or craft supplies.

You can do internet ordering of craft and sewing supplies from Michaels. I order art supplies from Dick Blick or from Amazon. Blick beats Amazon on prices, but delivery is slow. You can also order from Walmart, but I have never done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products