Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 04:31 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Depends on the store.......and the personalty of it.

About a decade ago, I shopped at a Sheplers Western Wear and it was all very civilized. There were only 2 cashiers, the lines were long and about an hour wait, but someone even went out and got donut holes and we shared them all. All of us strangers but in an atmosphere we could all enjoy, be one together.

Si-gh, that Sheplers closed, moved out to a strip mall, and got out of the outlet boot business and I haven't been back once I found out they did that. Every so often, I would get into the boot mood, go out there, spend around $200 for 3-4 pairs of boots but that habit, my visits stopped when it was no longer a fun trip.

Which probably illustrates Black Friday to me, it has to be a fun trip of something, more than the product. Like The Return of the Jedi. I got at the theatre at 0600 on opening day for 1000 show, we were a nice little group, the news came out and interviewed the game players. We were all there for the same purpose, comrades in arms..........

........and not what people are shown on the news these days.

Besides, out here on the ranch, one is not motivated to move, to budge, until they have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 05:15 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Have never done it.....

Thanksgiving is my favorite week. I've always felt going back to childhood that it was a week to give thanks, count your blessings, think of others and what you could do for them. It was also spent with family and friends.

When we lived up north, we never went out so 3 or 4 days just in the house all hanging out together. In South Florida, you went outside more but going to a store instead of being with family was just not done.

I know in the last 20 years, it's become earlier and earlier and I really don't like that many places are now open on Thanksgiving.

I have always rebelled against it, I guess.

On another note, I love to go shopping and since I work a lot, I don't get to go too often but it's a treat when I get to go.

Old 11-20-2021, 06:03 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
I did Black Friday, once or twice in the early 90s. This was when opening at 6am was early. There were a couple of specific items I wanted to get, and I remember planning my day based on what times the stores opened, since they all didn't open at 6am. It was still really busy and I do not like shopping to begin with.

The time being pushed back to Thursday is just crazy. People deserve time off and time with families. I have a few family members that really get off on the Black Friday excitement (well, they think it's exciting, I don't). Now that they start shopping Thursday, it means they spend the entire Thanksgiving dinner/afternoon strategizing their shopping plan.

I no longer spend Thanksgiving with them. There is nothing fun about that.

Last year I took advantage of some Cyber Monday sales to do some needed computer upgrades. For friends/family, I was able to get some great online deals on consumable items, which I may do again this year.

May be boring, but I'd rather get a candle or hand crafted soap, than a cheap sweater that doesn't even come close to fitting me, which ends up in Goodwill.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:28 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
I'd rather extinguish lit cigarettes on my tongue than go shopping.

Old 11-20-2021, 09:59 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
I gave up on shopping this year for the same reasons OP. Who needs to buy things when you might die from Covid : A morbid thought but realistic no less.

HOWEVER I got into the spirit this week. I purchased a few things too many honestly but I haven't done much in two years so why not treat myself to a dopamine rush.

Will make sure to buy edible gifts for friends. I think they are appreciated the most. Instantaneous gratification

Old 11-21-2021, 12:14 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
For me, Amazon only. Click, Click, Done. If it is not there, I am not buying it as a present.

Old 11-21-2021, 10:17 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
The BEST day to go shopping is Superbowl Sunday. No traffic, easy parking, no lines in the stores...

Old 11-21-2021, 10:51 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
The BEST day to go shopping is Superbowl Sunday. No traffic, easy parking, no lines in the stores...
Yep, when I worked in retail in metro Denver, we knew it would be a slow day if there was a Broncos game -- ANY Broncos game.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:51 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Unless you actually watch the Super Bowl!

Old 11-21-2021, 12:01 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
No interest in the maddening crowds in days of yore. Getting in fist fight over a tv, yea, no thank you. But I buy two things every year, well used to be Black Friday, now lowest price tends to be Cyber Monday. Thats tax software and prepaid 360 day cell phone plan. Two things I would buy anyway, this is just cheapest time year to buy them. And I dont have to go anywhere to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products