Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 09:23 AM

23,896 posts, read 33,650,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Those on the canning thread in the Food Forum may have suggestions. Threerun is also a canner. There is also a poster on the Food Forum whose daughter has been canning wholemeals for her mother who is on dietary restrictions. Headscratch here - a post in the general conversation may bring his name.

I went through 8 pages to look for the thread in food, it's in the recipe subsection, not the food section.

I find the OP has posted to it, this one was first

Here is the thread in food > recipes

Who does Canning here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 06:56 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,246,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
1. What is a good price for a PRESSURE CANNER?
2. What about a Stainless-Steel Pressure Canner?

3. What is a good price & brand?
4. Could I use a stainless-steel pressure canner to make pasta in it, without the lid on, of course?
5. Can I cook beans & meat as well, basically taking the place of a pressure cooker?
1. Don't know what a "bad price" is. What's your budget?
2. If it's not Aluminum, it's probably stainless steel. Alum is fine for canning. May not be fine for cooking acidic foods.
3. Presto has a good reputation, if a bit stodgy. Spare parts widely available in hardware stores, etc.
4. You can use any st.st. pot that's big enough to boil water, to cook pasta.
5. I think you're asking what's the difference between a generic pressure cooker and pressure canner. The difference is size and jar capacity. The bigger pressure cookers also need more BTUs to operate efficiently.

The "latest" big thing in pressure cookers is the "Instant Pot" - which is basically an electrically heated pressure cooker & programmable timer. It has such a large customer base, that 3rd party accessories are widely available, aimed at the various sizes / capacities.

It claims to : "Pressure cook, slow cook, sous vide, sauté pan, rice, sterilizer, yogurt maker, food warmer, cake baker and steamer." (also does pasta)
IF you intend to do "crock pot"/slow cook recipes, ferment yogurt, sprout brown rice (for GABA rice), sous-vide, and so on, it is a very versatile appliance - and will save you from buying separate appliances for those functions. If you just want to pressure cook, go with a plain stovetop model.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-P...WHS/ref=sr_1_3
$129.99 6 qt; $149.95 8 qt. (wait for Black Friday sales for lower pricing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products