Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 06:49 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times

Advertisements

I typically use Candle-Lite. Burning candles bring a relaxing atmosphere. To me moderation is key. I don’t burn a candle everyday. There’s a lot of things that can increase risk of cancer and health issues but worrying about what might not happen is a waste of energy and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 06:51 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,131,406 times
Is it my imagination or is the price of candles crazy?

Old 11-06-2022, 06:56 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,677,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I typically use Candle-Lite. Burning candles bring a relaxing atmosphere. To me moderation is key. I don’t burn a candle everyday. There’s a lot of things that can increase risk of cancer and health issues but worrying about what might not happen is a waste of energy and time.
If it bothers your friend that much and if they are pestering you about it beyond letting you know that, tell them that are allowed to buy you the right kind of candles and you would promise to use those instead. Just be respectful not to burn candles around the time you know he/she would be visiting you at your place. Maybe leave windows open in advance if you know and can too.

It would kind of make sense that cheaper candles might have that kind of side effect.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:01 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,819,681 times
OP I agree with you. I have read this about candles also, but what DOESN'T cause disease? Everything in moderation. It's not like the candle is burning right under your nose and you're inhaling all the smoke.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:12 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Never understood the appeal myself. Just more toxic air pollution.

Yes, there is plenty harmful all around us. Is that a reason to add more?

Listen to your friend and throw them out.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:14 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
Is this a thread about candles or friends? I can't tell.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:35 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
As this is the Non-Romantic Relationships Forum, the only means by which the OP could be applicable here is if the OP was discussing her relationship with her candles. However, that is neither the case here, nor would it be encouraged.

As such, thread closed due to inappropriate forum.

P.S. By no means whatsoever did June wish to make fun of HappyFarm34 in what she posted, above! -Sincere apologies in the event June has inadvertently done so! (Please just chalk it up to the fact that all my clocks are an hour early, and it doesn't take much to catapult June's mind into a sense of confusion and ill-favored humor...)

Last edited by june 7th; 11-06-2022 at 08:50 AM..

Old 11-13-2022, 07:35 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post

I personally was never into candles, except for maybe a short snippet of a fwe weeks 1x. I have no idea about the ingredients in Candle-Lite, but I'd be very careful & do research about which candles have healthy ingredients. Also, I wouldn't ever buy any cheap candles from places like Marshalls, HomeGoods, etc. unless I knew it was a holistic, high-qulaity brand.

If I want a scent in my home, I diffuse high-quality essential oils. Plus, zero chance of anything tipping over & catching on fire.

Old 11-13-2022, 08:10 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times
Use pure beeswax candles. They burn cleanly, and they impart a slight florally honey scent to the room. Be warned, however, they are not cheap, but they are worth it if you want to burn real candles.

I became enamoured with flameless candles a couple of years ago now. I have a lot of them now--enough for every room of the house. They are clean, and the good ones look pretty real unless you get very close to them. I have them in various colours in taper size, various votive sizes, as well as the larger round ones. They come in all sorts of colours and designs, and most of them operate with a remote control. They impart a lot of ambience for a relatively small investment. There are holiday specific ones, too. You will of course spend money on batteries, but you cannot have everything...

Old 11-14-2022, 05:45 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
It isn't only cheap candles; relatively expensive candles are also said to be toxic. When I was in Massachusetts several years ago, I visited the main store of "Yankee Candals". I bought several Christmas gifts for our housekeeper, gardener, a few women at church, and some women who work for DH. All were delighted with their gifts.

I also bought three for myself and I made a table centerpiece around them, using natural greens.

A friend of mine who is a follower of this man who calls himself "the Medical Medium" freaked out and said that the fragrances were poisonous and the gifts I gave would make people sick.
When does this END? According to her, if I baked everyone a LOAF of BREAD, I would also be contributing to their demise because wheat it toxic. Christmas cookies? TOXIC. Apple pie? TOXIC.

She follows this Medical Medium guy as though he is God.

As far as candles go, I mostly use them on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Outdoors in the summer. I DO NOT buy candles made in China from dollar stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products