Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 11:46 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Meat that is reduced is close to code, not out of code. Hamburg patties are in regular meat case....we freeze them at home. Supermarket freezers are kept at correct temp, or alarm will go off.
I am not going to name the supermarket,but their freezer is not cold enough,they sell a lot of 5 lb box of frozen shrimp,they are not solidly frozen.
They also use baking soda on the beef strip and then freeze them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 11:47 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
The discounted items are at 3 or 4 places in my usual grocery. The produce section usually has a small selection of fruit or veggies just about ready to go bad. I've purchased brown bananas for baking or ripe avocados. There are never any leftover baked goods it seems. I typically check the meat nearing it's sell by date. If it's something I'll use, I consider it. There is also this weird shelf at the back of the store. It has a variety of food and non-food items. I check it out, but usually it's nothing I'm interested in purchasing.

Old 11-13-2022, 11:49 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I am not going to name the supermarket,but their freezer is not cold enough,they sell a lot of 5 lb box of frozen shrimp,they are not solidly frozen.
They also use baking soda on the beef strip and then freeze them.
In that case, why not notify the board of health?

Old 11-13-2022, 11:54 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
What I will not buy, is chicken or pork that is taken out of it`s packaging, and then seasoned in the store, and has a new date put on.

Old 11-13-2022, 02:52 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
My grocery store has a couple of shelves in the back where they put out items that are reaching their expiration date. I've gotten some great deals back there (e.g. six muffins for $0.99, 4 bagels for $1.29 etc.). I've mentioned that to others and have gotten mixed reactions.

Does anyone else do this?
Some people have an extreme revulsion against "expired" or nearly "expired" foods... I can't tell if it's a phobia or just plain snobbery. However, they won't touch it with a ten-foot pole and look down their noses at those who do.

Good; more for us!

Old 11-13-2022, 03:20 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Some people have an extreme revulsion against "expired" or nearly "expired" foods... I can't tell if it's a phobia or just plain snobbery. However, they won't touch it with a ten-foot pole and look down their noses at those who do.

Good; more for us!
Probably lack or awareness/education and sticking to old habits/beliefs - they die hard...
If you tell them for decades one thing, it will take a while to change their mind

Old 11-13-2022, 04:08 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Probably lack or awareness/education and sticking to old habits/beliefs - they die hard...
If you tell them for decades one thing, it will take a while to change their mind
Also, a lot of people are extremely squeamish. I think this is mostly a modern emotional thing that has arisen because many people are no longer involved in growing and preparing food, don't have much knowledge about food safety, and don't trust their senses. There was recently a thread in which several people stated they would never eat anything that had fallen on any floor, no way, no how. Refusing to eat anything that is "past the date" is similar. Neither of these positions has anything to do with whether or not the food is safe to eat; it's purely a mental block.

My husband's former boss was so squeamish, my husband used to tease him occasionally by hinting when he was eating lunch that his food looked or smelled spoiled. Of course it never was anything of the sort, but his boss would stop eating, examine the food, and more often than not decide to throw it in the trash! Just the idea that it might be "bad" got into his head and he just couldn't bring himself to eat any more.

I think a lot of people look at the date, decide the food must be bad, and don't want to eat it no matter what. There is no way to prove to them that it is still fine. It could look fine, smell fine, taste fine, and be eaten by other people without any problem, but they don't care about any of those things. Like the person who wrote in this thread that a relative threw away salt that was "past the date" !

Old 11-14-2022, 12:42 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
I buy MOST of my baked goods at the bakery outlet. A lot of their product is actually still in date. And it is 60% off the Safeway and Kroger pricing.

Yes, I buy a lot of salvage groceries at various Amish and other outlets. Some are still in date and some canned goods are out of date. I have not had many issues in terms of quality with what I have bought.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:40 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,437,376 times
I bought this item for $0.69 at the back shelf. It's a big enough box. I bought 3. There was like 6 or 7 more.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h...ackers/5435009

(Store location is not where I bought it.)

Normally it goes for way more than this. Price on the page is accurate.

H‑E‑B CHZ2 Baked Cheese Crackers ‑ Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese

12.4 oz

Old 11-14-2022, 03:11 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
I always check the bakery discount rack at our local Walmart. My weakness is the little pies you find on sale. They used to be 25 cents (marked down from 50 cents), but thanks to inflation they are now 50 cents, marked down from .74. A few months ago, DD and I found boxes of glazed donuts marked down to FOUR CENTS. Obviously a computer glitch when they were printing out the tags, but we took a box to the self check out and they WERE four cents. I put in a nickel, got a penny change, and met up with DH. DH gets on our case when we buy "junk" and desserts, but he couldn't argue with 4 cent glazed donuts. They were perfectly fresh. We found out later there had been a computer glitch due to a storm power outage. I don't know how they didn't catch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products