Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 07:47 PM

1,844 posts, read 830,741 times

Advertisements

In February I started keeping track of where my purchases had originated from (in store and online). Figured there might be some other people that keep track of this information our at least have a good idea of where most of their products came from.
So, do you keep track of every product purchased and if so where are they mostly originating from?
Are there certain countries that you try to avoid buying from or certain ones that you try to purchase from?

I have two list: one showing where every product comes from and one showing the combined total of all products ( If I purchased the same thing from Texas twice the first list would still have one for Texas while the second would have two).
Top 5 of list number two (combined total):
1. Canada
2. Texas
3. Illinois
4. China
5. Idaho

Top 5 of list number one:
1. China
2. Canada
3. General U.S (couldn't find a certain state)
4. Texas
5. Taiwan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 08:24 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times
I do not keep a record as you do, but I have noticed for years now that almost everything I buy comes from China.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:18 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Amazon comes from a whole bunch of random locations. Other than the local fulfillment centers here in Arizona, Southern California is the most common, with a few from the Las Vegas, Nevada area, El Paso, Texas, and Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Old 10-29-2022, 12:14 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
In February I started keeping track of where my purchases had originated from (in store and online). Figured there might be some other people that keep track of this information our at least have a good idea of where most of their products came from.
So, do you keep track of every product purchased and if so where are they mostly originating from?
Are there certain countries that you try to avoid buying from or certain ones that you try to purchase from?

I have two list: one showing where every product comes from and one showing the combined total of all products ( If I purchased the same thing from Texas twice the first list would still have one for Texas while the second would have two).
Top 5 of list number two (combined total):
1. Canada
2. Texas
3. Illinois
4. China
5. Idaho

Top 5 of list number one:
1. China
2. Canada
3. General U.S (couldn't find a certain state)
4. Texas
5. Taiwan
Are you talking about where the product is made (tag or label info) or where it's shipping from (shipping label)?

Old 10-30-2022, 08:53 PM

1,844 posts, read 830,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Are you talking about where the product is made (tag or label info) or where it's shipping from (shipping label)?
Yeah, where the product is produced/assembled at.

Old 10-30-2022, 09:22 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Just a couple observations why Texas appears on your list.

Since that's your home state, it's highly likely many products from multiple national vendors could be housed in a distribution center in your state, so naturally that's where they will ship from. I have Nevada, Arizona and California as my top three originating points because those are the closest mega distribution centers to me. Even if a product was made in N. Carolina, the shipping point will be one of those three states.

I have a client in TX that has a cross border terminal. Items come in from Mexico and they consolidate and ship these products for various US retailers. It turns out, TX has a massive number of distributors set up just to handle drop shipment to retail customer for products originating south of the border on behalf of major US retailers. He said the hardest part is making sure the packaging is correct; nothing worst than sending a designed dress from Nieman Marcus in a Walmart box!

Old 11-02-2022, 11:20 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I think your products come from whatever warehouse/distributing center they are stored. It has nothing to do with where the products have been made.
Assembly means a place where parts from many different countries are put together. Means nothing as where the product was made or originate from.

Old 11-02-2022, 11:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I don't and won't record or pay that much attention, but my observation:

Most of what I buy at Costco in foods and household is USA made, clothing and shoes China

Most of what we buy from Amazon is made in China

Our vehicles have been assembled in the USA but with many Chinese parts, except for my 1974 Nova which was all USA made, but now has replacement parts made in China

It's nearly impossible to limit purchases to products from one particular country, you would spend a lot of time and in some cases would have to do without.

Old 11-08-2022, 08:09 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I bought something months ago that was made in Vietnam.

Old 11-08-2022, 09:53 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Avocados from Mex I Co
Coke from Mexico [when I’m actually able to find it in my store]

Grapefruit - noticed some USA and others South Africa

Clothes - some US, others: Pakistan, India, Guatemala, Mexico and China
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products