Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 12:57 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times

Advertisements

Cool! Unfortunately, no Grocery Outlet near us, or we would try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I also like Raleys, but I still go to Grocery Outlet, which I like for the pricing. No Sprouts here, but I did love them when I lived near one. Trader Joes is always a winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 11:17 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This is a rare post for me in the food forum, but was inspired to write based off my recent visit to my in-laws in Northern California. I visited a supermarket called Nugget, which seems to be local to the Sacramento area. I currently live in New Mexico, and have for many years, and here, a Sprouts is an elevated supermarket experience. I am pleased to say this supermarket is easily the most impressive supermarket I have ever entered, in any state around the country. I was wondering if there are other supermarkets similar to this regionally around the country, so I thought I would create this thread. I really look forward to reading what others have to write.
I've been to Nuggets in Woodland a few times, near Sacramento. It's a nice looking store. It has 16 locations apparently.

Another nice store, but with only 3 locations, is Zupan's in Portland, Oregon. It reminds me of Urban Fare here in Vancouver.

Old 11-24-2022, 11:28 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Texas has H-E-B and cult following
H-E-B (once again!) is named top U.S. grocery retailer and is ranked #1 in an annual consumer survey.
It's not "upscale" and prices are very reasonable.

https://www.sacurrent.com/food-drink...mazon-27986899
I left Texas in 1997 & I still miss H.E.B.

H.E.B.'s Central Market in downtown Austin was heaven. Hot, store made tortillas - I've never had a better tortilla since.

I like Publix, Earth Fare & Trader Joe's in Virginia.

I miss D. Coluccio & Sons in Brooklyn. A&S in Yorktown. Also in Yorktown, NY - Turco's was replace by Uncle Giuseppe. I loved Turco's, Uncle Giuseppe - not so much.

Old 11-24-2022, 11:51 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Assuming you mean regular supermarkets (not specialty markets), when I visited places in FL and GA, Publix impressed me with the selection, quality, and prices.

Here in the Four Corners area, the really good stuff is in a specialty market or two that are about an hour’s drive away. But normally we buy groceries from the two major chain supermarkets right in town. There’s also a good very small market about 20 miles away.

Old 11-24-2022, 11:53 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
On Long Island there is Uncle Giuseppe's. And in Westchester County NY there is DeCicco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3F5Ha4qWik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LhQY9uCdH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt1xZIPMSMg

Old 11-24-2022, 11:54 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I left Texas in 1997 & I still miss H.E.B.

H.E.B.'s Central Market in downtown Austin was heaven. Hot, store made tortillas - I've never had a better tortilla since.

I like Publix, Earth Fare & Trader Joe's in Virginia.

I miss D. Coluccio & Sons in Brooklyn. A&S in Yorktown. Also in Yorktown, NY - Turco's was replace by Uncle Giuseppe. I loved Turco's, Uncle Giuseppe - not so much.
I did not know Uncle G now has footprint in Westchester.

Old 11-24-2022, 12:30 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
If anyone from eastern Mass. comes on here, maybe they'll tell the story of Market Basket. I've moved away but how I miss that place. It's legendary. When I still lived out there we (we, the people) went on strike, refusing to buy from MB because one of the owners was greedy enough to be selling it while his kind hearted brother wanted to keep the stores going.

The stores lost a lot of money and eventually the greedy brother caved and the good brother bought him out (iirc.) The stores are nonpretentious, the employees are wonderful and helpful, they will order anything for you, prices are good, and it's FAMILY OWNED, not a big corporation. The owner tours the stores and talks with the customers, he has helped employees who are sick or need some money for college, and the employees are treated so well and paid well enough, plus they can buy company stock, that they often work there for life. In that part of New England it's Market Basket.

Old 11-24-2022, 02:09 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
I'm very fond of Winco for my everyday shopping. Nugget is my go-to for specialty items, like goat and sheep cheeses that only they carry and a chipotle salsa that's unique to Nugget (not related to the Chipotle restaurant chain). I'm in the Sacramento area.

Old 11-24-2022, 03:18 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Trader Joe's can't be beat especially now with price and quality. Thankfully there are several in my area.

Old 11-24-2022, 03:33 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
On Long Island there is Uncle Giuseppe's. And in Westchester County NY there is DeCicco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3F5Ha4qWik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LhQY9uCdH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt1xZIPMSMg
DiCiccos raises their prices without marking the prices on the shelf. I bought a packaged mixed salad for $4.99,
purchased it again a few days later and it was $7.99, I got the big surprise when I looked at the receipt at home.

I used to get the 1/3 platter of eggplant parm for $19.
00, now It's $29.00. For those who can afford those prices the store is great, I shop elsewhere now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products