Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 12:59 PM

15,514 posts, read 7,546,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Goes to show you how efficient Amazon does their logistics vs other shipping companies making fat profits off shipping.

Majority of the shipping fees for USPS goes to fund their employee benefits like healthcare and pension. It's unsustainable this is why USPS gets bailed out every year by our government.
USPS is not getting bailed out every year by the government. The government was one reason USPS had problems, when it was forced to prefund pension and retiree medical benefits at a much higher level than any private company had to do and out to 75 years.

USPS has to deliver mail to every location in the US for one price, currently 60 cents for first class mail. No other shipper has to do that. The equivalent of first class mail through Fedex or UPS is going to cost several dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In my "side gig" I have a customer that I do work for 2-3 times a year, at about $1,500 each time. I was shipping the box to them using Fedex, on their account. That requires driving 6 miles to the Fedex place, filling out the form, and waiting for someone to help me. About a year ago I decided to just deliver it. The location is only 30 miles away, and one of our favorite restaurants is in that city. So a few times a year I take my wife with me, drive there to deliver the parts, then have a nice dinner before going home.

I do wonder sometimes how Amazon can give free delivery on an item costing less than $10 coming from across the country when that would cost me $30 to ship.
Many of the items that Amazon ships for free come from a nearby warehouse, not from across the country.

Old 12-16-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
SMH.....The same could be said if it was the person Biden put in--(fill in the blank).
Biden hasn't changed postmasters because he can't. DeJoy is still in charge. The Postmaster isn't actually appointed by the President, but by the U.S. Postal Service Board of Governors.

Old 12-16-2022, 01:37 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,360,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
USPS is not getting bailed out every year by the government. The government was one reason USPS had problems, when it was forced to prefund pension and retiree medical benefits at a much higher level than any private company had to do and out to 75 years.

USPS has to deliver mail to every location in the US for one price, currently 60 cents for first class mail. No other shipper has to do that. The equivalent of first class mail through Fedex or UPS is going to cost several dollars.
UPS and FedEx are not allowed to ship first class letter mail; they can only ship anything that isn't a parcel (such as letters or flat envelopes) via overnight or 2-day delivery.

Old 12-16-2022, 02:55 PM

12,396 posts, read 8,180,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
UPS and FedEx are not allowed to ship first class letter mail; they can only ship anything that isn't a parcel (such as letters or flat envelopes) via overnight or 2-day delivery.
First Class mail is the functional equivalent of horseshoes. Once upon a time very important for the economy but of increasingly limited niche usage and dropping in numbers every year

Old 12-16-2022, 04:07 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,121,812 times
Quote:
Biden hasn't changed postmasters because he can't. DeJoy is still in charge. The Postmaster isn't actually appointed by the President, but by the U.S. Postal Service Board of Governors.
True, but he can replace the board members who support DeJoy, but he is not. Which is what Democrats are good at. They ***** and whine about everything, but then they do nothing about it, even when they have the opportunity.

Old 12-16-2022, 04:54 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,030,638 times
I was actually really confused when I recently walked into a UPS office to mail a gift.

Turned out I was the only one there with a boxed, addressed package. Everyone else was just holding the object and their phone, which they showed to the clerk (I assume there was a UPC symbol or a code on same). The UPS employee then bagged the item, printed out a label, and threw it into a pile to be shipped. I'm not phone-savvy and don't order stuff online, so the process was all new to me!

At any rate, the line was extremely long, so I ended up back at my friendly old-fashioned post office instead. They didn't flinch at my Sharpie hand-lettering...

Old 12-16-2022, 05:20 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,360,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I was actually really confused when I recently walked into a UPS office to mail a gift.

Turned out I was the only one there with a boxed, addressed package. Everyone else was just holding the object and their phone, which they showed to the clerk (I assume there was a UPC symbol or a code on same). The UPS employee then bagged the item, printed out a label, and threw it into a pile to be shipped. I'm not phone-savvy and don't order stuff online, so the process was all new to me!
Amazon has a partnership with The UPS Store for returns. This is likely what most of the customers came for.

For UPS dropoffs I usually go to Staples instead since I live closer to a Staples than a UPS Store, plus lines are usually shorter since Staples doesn't accept the QR codes for Amazon returns in my area yet. For Amazon returns I usually go to Kohl's.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
True, but he can replace the board members who support DeJoy, but he is not. Which is what Democrats are good at. They ***** and whine about everything, but then they do nothing about it, even when they have the opportunity.
The President can't fire board of Governors members except for cause. Policy disagreements do not count as cause.

From the Washington Post on qualifications
"There are specific parameters required by law for the nine who are nominated to the board: Only five may be from the same political party; nominees must have experience in public service, law, accounting or corporate management; and at least four of the governors must have experience managing organizations or corporations of at least 50,000 employees."

Old 12-16-2022, 10:56 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,121,812 times
Quote:
The terms of two of the board members expired on December 8, but they are still on the board, because Biden has been too busy to appoint anybody to replace them. The old man has probably forgotten all about it. So they will stay on the board until a Republican replaces them. As usually happens. DeJoy could have already be out of there if the Democrats had their act together. But now we are stuck with him for who knows how long.

Quote:
William D. Zollars was appointed to the Postal Service Board of Governors by President Donald J. Trump and was confirmed by the Senate on June 18, 2020. Zollars served the remainder of a seven-year term that expired on December 8, 2022, and he is currently in his holdover year. He currently chairs the Board’s Operations Committee.
USPS Board of Governors William D. Zollars - Who we are_Leadership - About.usps.com

Quote:
Donald L. Moak was appointed to the Postal Service Board of Governors by President Donald J. Trump and was confirmed by the Senate on June 18, 2020. Moak served the remainder of a seven-year term that expired on December 8, 2022, and he is currently in his holdover year. He currently chairs the Board’s Compensation and Governance Committee and serves on the Audit and Finance Committee.
USPS Board of Governors Donald L. Moak - Who we are_Leadership - About.usps.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products