Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 07:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

OP don't go cheap, regardless of what some people say. I mean, you spend HOURS and HOURS in your bed each day (or night). You want it to last, and it SHOULD last 8 to 10 years at least. If you buy a cheap mattress, you won't get 8 to 10 years out of it, flipping it or not. I can promise you that.

Many mattresses today are on platforms rather than box springs. Many of these platforms can be adjusted and some adjust automatically if they sense that you're snoring. (They raise your head slightly.) Many will go to "zero gravity" meaning that they raise your feet above your heart - it's recommended that you do this about 20 minutes a day. They (the mattress) may or may not be able to be flipped completely over but they can and should be rotated regularly (head to foot and vice versa).

Look into a good topper as well. Buy good pillows and make sure they are the right height to keep your spine aligned. You won't be sorry.

Sleep in a cool room.

Good luck!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-10-2023 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 08:10 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The sleep number bed is impossible to wear out as long as you can still get the parts for the pump. We had a king for 17 years until the divorce and then I bought a queen and he kept the other bed. My chiropractor has had his for 25 years. They are initially expensive but cheaper in the long run.
OP, you must have read my mind. I was about to start a mattress thread. I need to buy another one to replace the brand new Sleep Number I purchased at the urging of my sister who swore it would work for me. It doesn't. Following the purchase of this ridiculously overpriced airbed, (a fact I didn't know at the time,) I have have had back pain every day. Memory foam mattresses don't cause me back pain. Not only that, I cannot use the Sleep measurement functions because I only have 5G at my apt, not wi-fi, a big selling point for the bed. I called them and they inserted a 1" topper into the mattress, which didn't help. I am going to return it.

I have read a million mattress reviews from dozens of so called experts and they all seem to be thinly veiled sales pitches for certain online mattresses I can't try before buying. I realize everyone's body is different and lots of options is a good thing but this is even more frustrating than buying a car because I'm guessing at what will work. And most are online only. (For reference, I am a petite single Gen X woman with shoulder and back problems who side sleeps. No snoring and not hot.)

I'm leaning toward another memory foam only mattress but it seems manufacturers are making more hybrids. Maybe because sagging is a problem? And I have no clue how latex works. There also seems to be some contempt for the "bed in a box" system and I don't understand that either.

Addendum: As Kathryn said, I'm old enough to know not to go cheap on a mattress anymore. Those days are long gone. I have a full but am not opposed to swapping for a queen. I'd like to keep my budget under $1500 but I can push it north if need be. Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 01-10-2023, 10:44 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
Here's our experience with mattresses. As we've gotten older, our hip bones and knees, etc., seem to be more susceptible to discomfort at night. Everything seems too hard, too stiff, too wallowey, and the support isn't there.

We bought a condo recently which came furnished. The beds were new, however. I tried one and it was like a board! What the? I can never sleep on this! Might as well be sleeping on a plank! It's a torture bed. We immediately went online and ordered a 3 inch memory foam mattress as a topper for it, and my hip pain and knee pain disappeared overnight after sleeping on this setup. I have since concluded that if you get at least a 3" memory foam and put it on a pretty damn hard mattress, you get the best of both worlds: good support underneath, softness where you need it.

We've used this combination now in two other beds, and it's worked for us.

Old 01-10-2023, 04:59 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
A new quality mattress weighs about 150 lbs but with age in ends up weighing 300 Lbs.
Why?
Body oils, sweat, body dirt, skin cells and those tiny little bugs that live on such stuff.
Yeah. I want to grow old with me bed. DUH!
Not if you have mattress protector and wash it (and you sheets) often.

The most important key is to NOT to make your bed in the morning , but uncover it and let the mattress air dry.
Sure, you can prop the pillows and tidy up the fitted sheet, then neatly fold your comforter/duvet and leave at the end of the bed. Still looks pretty neat, (and ready to hop in) and you don't have to "redress" the bed every evening by taking the gazillion of pillows off and stacking them away. Some people prop stuffed animals on their bed too...lol

I don't get the obsession with making beds the minute one gets up anyway. What for, really, unless you spend a lot of daytime in your bedroom and want the esthetics or frequently let people tour your house.

Mattress needs to be aired daily, so the body moisture can escape. Especially if you have any kind of foam mattress. It's good for the mattress and bad for bed bugs

I remember we had a guy coming here and asking why he has a puddle of water under his bed.(and surely mold too).
Yeah, that's why.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...-mattress.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I bought a latex foam mattress with a softer latex foam topper about 10 years ago, and it hasn't sagged or dented at all. It's as good as new.

It took a while to get used to the different feel of a latex foam mattress, but I now think it's the best mattress I have ever owned.
No. The real Dunlop natural latex is wonderful! It's also antibacterial.
The Roma mattress l have is turnable/flippable - hard on one side (my preference) and medium hard on other. It's latex, so it's heavy, but that could be resolved by buying two tweens and a bridge. If it sits inside a bed frame, is not going to move anyway, but it's much easier to flip or rotate.
Hard mattresses are more dense and therefore they sag slower. If it's too hard, a 3-4" mattress topper can come to rescue.

BTW: someone mentioned a water bed. Just remember that if you live in an apartment or condo, you need an extra insurance for that.

Old 01-10-2023, 06:47 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,190,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Generally, a floor never “sagsâ€.

Japanese do it.
One could buy Japanese mattress for unrolling on the floor - Amazon!

Old 01-10-2023, 08:45 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,807 times
We have a purple mattress. We've had it for six years
It's the best mattress we've ever owned. Always firm and it molds to your body so you don't have achy hips from the pressure points on the mattress. Only downside is that it's really, really heavy.

Old 01-16-2023, 05:13 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OP don't go cheap, regardless of what some people say. I mean, you spend HOURS and HOURS in your bed each day (or night). You want it to last, and it SHOULD last 8 to 10 years at least. If you buy a cheap mattress, you won't get 8 to 10 years out of it, flipping it or not. I can promise you that.

Many mattresses today are on platforms rather than box springs. Many of these platforms can be adjusted and some adjust automatically if they sense that you're snoring. (They raise your head slightly.) Many will go to "zero gravity" meaning that they raise your feet above your heart - it's recommended that you do this about 20 minutes a day. They (the mattress) may or may not be able to be flipped completely over but they can and should be rotated regularly (head to foot and vice versa).

Look into a good topper as well. Buy good pillows and make sure they are the right height to keep your spine aligned. You won't be sorry.

Sleep in a cool room.

Good luck!
So true. Sometimes people don't want to splurge on something that isn't "seen" by others but a good, quality mattress will make a difference in how the person is "seen" by others after a good night's sleep ; )

Old 01-22-2023, 02:18 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
I read this thread and I keep thinking the mattress gods smiled upon me in 1997 when I bought my Sealy king from a local furniture store for $500. I'm a heavy guy and it's still comfy with no sagging. I turn it or flip it occasionally but I'm not fanatic about it.

Old 01-23-2023, 02:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I don't remember the make but our queen is double pillow top. We rotate it end to end and upside down, so there are 4 different ways to sleep on it. There are no sags at all despite being over 15 years old.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:54 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,359,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The sleep number bed is impossible to wear out as long as you can still get the parts for the pump. We had a king for 17 years until the divorce and then I bought a queen and he kept the other bed. My chiropractor has had his for 25 years. They are initially expensive but cheaper in the long run.
Any compressor will work, just put a Schrader valve on the end of the air tube, and throw the pump away. Been doing it that way for 20 years, not real convenient but it works.....and the air mattress will not sag. 20 years ago, the prorated cost of a new replacement pump was outrageous, I assume it is also true today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products