Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 10:21 AM

8,305 posts, read 3,826,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why should he have to eat at home? He's paying for the sandwich.
Purchasing a sandwich does not indicate where he has the right to eat it. Just like how when I purchase a car, I don't have the right to just drive it around the dealer lot all day.

If the restaurant offers seating for patrons, he'd have the ability to use that seating. But they have to offer it. Simply purchasing a sandwich there does not explicitly indicate permission to eat on site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 11:31 AM

22,054 posts, read 13,063,881 times
By "eat at home, then" I assume the poster meant don't patronize the store if you're not willing to tip.

No one was talking about WHERE he eats the sandwich.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:17 PM

50,407 posts, read 64,141,570 times
I don’t really care if a machine is programmed to ask for tips, but I don’t feel at all guilty about passing.
If you hand me a bag of food over the counter, I’m not tipping you.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:34 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,678,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I think we're saying the same thing:

$0/hr in tips = $7.25/hr in income
$5/hr in tips = $7.25/hr in income
$100/hr in tips = $102.13/hr in income

No matter what, waiters receive a minimum in $7.25/hr in total income.
Being a lawyer, you probably would not know that the Labor Board has zero interest in following up these kinds of rules. In TX and UT, you get only $2.13, same as it's been since the 60s. I worked in a couple places that did not even PAY at all; no paycheck. Labor Board was not interested.

"On a slow day" I walked away with $20 so no, not getting minimum wage at all. I left that place after I realized what was going on, but it happened again in another place. Blatant law-breaking---but no laws help the little guy.

I did end up in a great place where I netted $30 an hour after tips, until they fell under cheating management too; then I retired.

So I see both sides of the coin and am in fact glad to live in a country without tips. If anything, there is a community tip jar but no one seems to care much about it---the staff get paid fairly. We drop a couple bucks in usually, but no one expects it.

Old 05-16-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Being a lawyer, you probably would not know that the Labor Board has zero interest in following up these kinds of rules. In TX and UT, you get only $2.13, same as it's been since the 60s. I worked in a couple places that did not even PAY at all; no paycheck. Labor Board was not interested.

"On a slow day" I walked away with $20 so no, not getting minimum wage at all. I left that place after I realized what was going on, but it happened again in another place. Blatant law-breaking---but no laws help the little guy.

I did end up in a great place where I netted $30 an hour after tips, until they fell under cheating management too; then I retired.

So I see both sides of the coin and am in fact glad to live in a country without tips. If anything, there is a community tip jar but no one seems to care much about it---the staff get paid fairly. We drop a couple bucks in usually, but no one expects it.
In TX and UT, what I said holds true if and only if everyone's abiding by law.

$0/hr in tips = $7.25/hr in income
$5/hr in tips = $7.25/hr in income
$100/hr in tips = $102.13/hr in income

No matter what, waiters receive a minimum in $7.25/hr in total income.

That's federal law. You don't need to be a lawyer to understand minimum wage laws.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times
There are certain states where tipped employees must be paid at least minimum wage (not the federal minimum wage, but the minimum wage for that particular state) no matter what they make in tips. California, Oregon, and Alaska are three of them.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-17-2023 at 07:40 PM..

Old 05-18-2023, 06:18 AM

4,733 posts, read 4,438,073 times
Yesterday was a new one for us. We were ordering online for a local pizza place, for us to pick up.
They had a $5 service fee/tip that you could not unselect. It's a pricey place too, very good quality and they charge for it. Somehow this really turned us off and we ended up ordering from another place.
when I went to pick up at the new place, it had the tip screen but you could select no tip or any amount.Ive become used to that now. I really resented the $5 automatic tip for me to pick up a pizza. no thank you

Old 05-18-2023, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Yesterday was a new one for us. We were ordering online for a local pizza place, for us to pick up.
They had a $5 service fee/tip that you could not unselect. It's a pricey place too, very good quality and they charge for it. Somehow this really turned us off and we ended up ordering from another place.
when I went to pick up at the new place, it had the tip screen but you could select no tip or any amount.Ive become used to that now. I really resented the $5 automatic tip for me to pick up a pizza. no thank you

Was it a service fee or a tip? Your post is contradictory. They can't force you to pay a tip. Any required fee is a service fee.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:31 AM

50,407 posts, read 64,141,570 times
I went to Subway yesterday. The machine defaulted to a 15% tip, so I had to manually press no tip. The sandwich makers are doing the job they are being paid for, nothing more. There is no service involved.

Previously, at the same Subway a few years ago, there was one girl doing everything. The line was out the door and she just kept churning out the sandwiches, calmly and efficiently. I gave her a $5. tip, because she was doing the work of at least two people.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:34 AM

6,139 posts, read 2,757,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Was it a service fee or a tip? Your post is contradictory. They can't force you to pay a tip. Any required fee is a service fee.
Service fees are junk fees might as well count them as a tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products