Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 12:13 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,035 times

Advertisements

[quote=TheShadow;65634024I like to bag my own groceries and things because I hate that they try to give me a bag for every one or two items. It's nuts! I've had them bag a gallon bottle of bleach. Why does that need a bag? I've tried to dissuade them from double bagging but they still try to double bag anything that weighs over 2 lbs. I usually am re-bagging as they bag at the check-out to try to get the bags full so I don't receive 23 bags for 40 items.[/QUOTE]

I take it you don't live in one of the 'bagless' states,where they have the 'bag bans'. It's like a desert now,not only are there no plastic bags there are usually no bags at all! It's like going from a prospering society to now a barren society
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Maybe. Thieves are going to thief regardless of the check-out system. They just steal, and increasingly, retailers simply let them get away with it. Prosecutors don't prosecute. Police don't arrest. Employees are told to leave them alone -- a couple of gals got fired recently at a mall for calling 9-1-1 on blatant thieves. A GoFundMe was set up for them because people were so outraged. But overall... theft has become acceptable and routine now.
The sounds like New Jersey...

Old 08-02-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
What about those places? Two things, first, you sign up for them and there is an advantage for them. Second, they have plenty of cashiers open to take people.
But overall they're mostly self serv type places,no bells & whistles.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:19 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,012,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
But overall they're mostly self serv type places,no bells & whistles.
They are self serve in the same sense that every other store is self-serve.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
There was a local guy who was arrested last month for shoplifting at Walmart for an item he didnt check at self-checkout. All the records on the self-checkout are recorded. Turns out that when he scanned the item he scanned it twice. When he realized it the Walmart employee came and removed the duplicate but, in the process, he removed both of the charges and the man being charged didnt realize it. Nearly 3 months later Walmart realized what happened and pressed charges for shoplifting. So even if you didnt intentionally do it and it turns out it is Walmart's fault, you can still be charged.
I'd have to see proof to believe this. The only action they have is against the employee unless they can prove the customer and employee were working together. Was this "item" a $2 loaf of bread or a $500 big screen TV?

Old 08-02-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'd have to see proof to believe this. The only action they have is against the employee unless they can prove the customer and employee were working together. Was this "item" a $2 loaf of bread or a $500 big screen TV?
Not sure the item but it was a small item through the self-check out. Even if you dont believe what I am saying there are plenty of reports of Walmart doing this. This isnt some uncommon thing.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Not sure the item but it was a small item through the self-check out. Even if you dont believe what I am saying there are plenty of reports of Walmart doing this. This isnt some uncommon thing.
I don't believe it and it would an easy civil suit. Find me one report of anyone being charged for shoplifting months later by anyone.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I don't believe it and it would an easy civil suit. Find me one report of anyone being charged for shoplifting months later by anyone.
Google is your friend. Even the article in the OP talks about it. You dont have to believe it, that is fine but it does happen.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 9,449,501 times
I will always use self-checkout.

I'm a single man with no kids, I don't need endless groceries.

Old 08-02-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Google is your friend. Even the article in the OP talks about it. You dont have to believe it, that is fine but it does happen.
The article presented not a single documented case to back up the claims, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products