Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:40 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,672 times

Advertisements

I'll admit it. I'm a loner when I shop. I love my own company and I can't stand the idea of buddy-shopping. When I'm at the mall, I want to go where I want, when I want and spend as much or as little time as I please. I don't need anyone's view of what looks good on me. I don't need anyone's approval for my purchases. I don't have to consider a buddy's wishes, desires, time schedules or whatever, because I am my own buddy.

Occasionally I will buddy-shop for a purpose. When my son and I go halvsies on a gift for dad, we'll often shop together (and that kind of buddy-shopping I enjoy, because I love his company!). If a friend and I are already out and she wants to drop in a store for something, I'll accompany her (but I usually won't shop). But, given my druthers, I'druther shop alone.

And then there's grocery shopping. Shopping with the kids I understand and don't consider that "buddy-shopping". But where I live now, it is very common to see husband and wife in the supermarket together. Huh??? Why? That just boggles my mind. Are these women so dependent that they can't even choose a box of cereal without approval?

So how do you shop? Are you a lone-wolf, like me or are you a buddy-shopper? What do you like about your way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 03:18 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
I prefer shopping alone. When I do go out with friends, they don't usually do any shopping. That's boring. I very rarely get the opportunity to go without a child, so when I shop I try to shop. Before kids, my husband and I used to go together. We both hate grocery shopping, so the conversations were like this:

1 We have no food.
2 I know.
1 Someone needs to go to the store.
2 That's you.
1 You go this time and I'll go next time.
2 You said that last time.
1 No, I didn't.
2 Fine, but then we both have to go.
1 We could just eat dinner out.
2 We've done that 5 times this week and we've no coffee left
1 Sigh. I guess we'll both go.

Then we'd sit around for another few hours and sometimes we'd go and sometimes we'd just go out to eat.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:35 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,672 times
Hehe funny stuff, Fjtee! Our family is sort of the opposite. I don't mind grocery shopping but the husband and son both detest it. They don't mind putting away, however. So it all works for us -- I get the stuff and bring it home, they put it all away.

They can't complain that I forgot get the "whatever" they wanted (if you want it that badly, you can always get it yourself). By the same token, I can't complain if they put things where I where I don't want them (I'd put toilet paper in the bathroom, not the pantry...).

Overall, though, it's a good system for us.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:30 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
I try my hardest to shop alone. I am a fast and furious shopper who knows what I want and go home with it. Most of my friends want to try clothes on, put things on hold so they can "think about it", rummage through the racks and shelves. UGH! Who has the time??

Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I'm a speed solo shopper (how's that for alliteration) as well! I prefer to walk into a store, grab what I want, and head home. The only places I ever dawdle around in are Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, and Borders. As an employee of Lowe's Home Improvement for the life of me I can't understand how couples can wander around like children in candy stores. Perhaps I'm just jaded after working here for so many years, but do people really have orgasms over light bulbs, toilet seats, nails, French doors, and patio cushions?

Old 06-24-2008, 12:52 AM

5 posts, read 11,412 times
Shopping alone is good hobby.But i generally like to go with somebody for shopping . I want other suggestion too for purchasing.But I am very confused whenever i have to buy any gift items for someone else

Moderator cut: No Advertising

Last edited by 2goldens; 06-24-2008 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: No Advertising - Please read ToS

Old 06-24-2008, 09:01 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,908 times
I detest grocery shopping!! My son and I have this great game at the grocery store. We have been doing this since he has been able to read. We divide up the list and see who can get to the front of the store first - speed shopping at its finest!! It will make you stick to the list and not get sidetracked with impulse buys and you will get out of the grocery store in record time.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:55 PM

604 posts, read 4,622,169 times
I have 2 small children so I love to shop alone. I wondered around Lowes for 4 hours the other day by myself and enjoyed every minute of it.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:08 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
I dont like to serious shop with other peeps. I usually end up being a personal shopper and a bag carrier.
Im a big person. Theres nothing I want in the little people section. And for some reason peeps seem to be Hell bent on getting me to wear pink and other "femininine" colors. I hate pink. Also I get tired of explaining why I cant wear "that". If it has a dart or set in waist, forget it. Its a waste of my time to even try it on. And just because its in style doent mean I want to wear it.

I hate to shop for me but when I do Im a fast shopper. For me selection is limited. I need a 16 tall. And I prefer classic stuff in Autumn colors. I scan for color then size. Usually takes me about 5 mins to scan and decide nope nuthin for me here. I usually buy mens tops at SA or GW. Every once in a while tho I have to go on a "mission to buy pants".

Old 06-24-2008, 01:20 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
I have 2 small children so I love to shop alone. I wondered around Lowes for 4 hours the other day by myself and enjoyed every minute of it.

No kids but I tend to wander in Home Depot and Lowes too. I always have a project going. And I like to check out stuff so I know whats out there to use for my next "project".

BTW. Single peeps take note. I am always getting hit on in Home Depot. Not so much in Lowes tho.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 06-24-2008 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Dont tell the Huz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products