Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 AM

877 posts, read 2,077,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMcN View Post
Well, it looks like we'll be putting our fridge buying on hold--my teenage daughter hit a pothole while driving home from her college classes and lost a tire and severely damaged the front end of her car....
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

FWIW, we recently purchased an Amana (made by Whirlpool), and it has a freezer on the bottom and french doors. There is an icemaker, but only in the freezer, and the water dispenser is inside the fridge. Avoids all the problems with the dispenser on the door, but you still can get nice cold water (colder than the tap).

The fridge also has a water filter built in, which is nice, I suppose, but I don't really have a problem with regular tapwater anyway.

LG also makes refrigerators, including those with freezers on the bottom, but we decided to go with a US company instead of S. Korean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 11:11 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
...got your attention, didn't I??
I had just assumed you needed a refrigerator to keep the Mary Jane.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:16 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Had good experience with zman's Amana and now a French-door Maytag (made by Whirlpool I believe) bottom freezer and water/ice dispenser. The latter has "alarms" that tell you when either door or the freezer is not shut. I think that's a great feature that prevents your food from melting down.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:39 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I bought a new fridge earlier this year. I was REALLY REALLY intrested in the French Door models w/ the freezer on the bottom. Wanted that WIDE expanse of shelf space in the fridge portion. Only feared the absolute mess the bottom drawer freezer would turn into w/ my family. I had visions of seeing stuff just dropped in and staying wherever it landed. Then me having to dig EVERYTHING out just trying to find something. Still wanted it though.

We have a very good trusted appliance store we have been using for a LONG time and have always been straight up honest with me. Even when they know I will spend a lot of money if I am getting THE BEST product I can they don't always recommend it. Like when I wanted and would soon be needing a new washer & dryer. Looked at the front loaders and after I answered a series of questions from them they said, "you won't get your money out of it. Your better off sticking w/ a good top loader for a lot less money".

SOOOooooo, I asked them to tell me the honest truth about the French Doors. They are seeing problems with them. Mainly due to the freezer being on the bottom. I wish I could remember exactly everything they told me about the problems ....... something about the location of the motor and the freezer and it having to work a lot harder to keep it cold.

I ended up getting a counter depth TALL side by side w/ the ice and water in the door (which we DID want - MUST have the ice maker) from Whirlpool and couldn't be happier.

My cousin has the single door w/ the freezer on the bottom w/ only the ice maker. Over there for holidays and family gatherings and I HATE IT!!! It is a royal PITA getting ice in the glasses w/ that for everyone. Even taking the ice maker tray out and sitting it on the counter and putting it back in is a PITA! It could just be her fridge as she has a small space to fit a fridge into and was probably restricted on what size she could have.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:18 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
...got your attention, didn't I??
Very cute! Made me click on it!

Old 09-09-2008, 01:20 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
My cousin has the single door w/ the freezer on the bottom w/ only the ice maker. Over there for holidays and family gatherings and I HATE IT!!! It is a royal PITA getting ice in the glasses w/ that for everyone. Even taking the ice maker tray out and sitting it on the counter and putting it back in is a PITA! It could just be her fridge as she has a small space to fit a fridge into and was probably restricted on what size she could have.
The last time we had everybody for Thanksgiving, we had a big plastic bowl (had to make room for it) which we gradually added ice. This was my idea since I prefer cubes made from trays to ice we buy in a plastic bag.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:50 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
I love the Frigidaire we got last year. It's a side by side, so maybe you're not interested, but the freezer seems to hold a lot and it stays nice and cold. The only beef is that the water dispenser actuator (the thingy you press with your glass to make water come out) broke off because my sister in law got tired of waiting for her glass to fill up - we reused an existing water line, which seems a little small - and cost about 60 bucks for the part. For a piece of plastic with a light bulb in it.

Anyway, other than that it's great.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I thought you were going to talk about Marijuana.. my mistake.
I did too.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:08 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I did too.

Me three.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:43 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Me three.
Hmmmm, lots of people here waiting to exhale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products