Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 05:05 PM

345 posts, read 1,078,160 times

Advertisements

I'll call our local CIL on Monday and see if I can get the information for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 06:22 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,369,692 times
This is not an eating utencil, but useful for the elderly if they watch TV. This is bigger than a VHS tape. Not sure where they are bought, I just saw an actual one recently.

Innovage Jumbo Universal Remote and Other Innovage Products

Old 09-27-2008, 06:31 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
Try The Wright-Stuff website.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:52 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
You could also buy those sponge type rollers women use to use in their hair. They come in different sizes, remove the plastic inside part you will be left with a hole through the foam roller. Slip it over eating utensils, pen/pencils anything small like that to where it has become harder to grasp and use. They slip off so you can wash the utensils or if they get too dirty throw them away and get a new one.
HTH.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:26 PM

345 posts, read 1,078,160 times
It's unfortunate that your local CIL doesn't have an assitive device program. I have however, been given a little info that may help. Two sites that may be helpful are DisabilityInfo.gov: Disability related information and resources from the Federal Government and Independent Living Institute.
So far as finding products, Abledata: Welcome to ABLEDATA came highly recommended. It is a federally funded program site that contains a database of the many places you can get assistive devices. A lot of the CILs use some of these manufacturers to purchase the assistive devices they provide to their consumers. Hopefully, this will be of help to you as I understand these sites have been federally approved and are likely not scammers trying to sell poor quality products.
Best wishes to you and your family. If I can be of further help, just let me know.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:25 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,610 times
thanks so much everyone for the ideas, especially SXM, Jaxson (brilliant about the rollers!) and Kmalone! I appreciate all those leads. I do have one fork on order to try out...also, just today we had an RN from mom's home health agency say she will send an Occupational Therapist over and they have these utensils too. (The home health is not going to last forever; we are finally in the pipeline to try to get daily "provider" services from the state's DADS agency...but that is still many weeks away.)

I relate especially to Shelbygirl's MIL situation...my mom will sometimes put the fork into her mouth and she has nothing on it -- she can't see well enough to know that the food dropped, or she never speared any to begin with. It can be very stressful and emotional for all of us as our parents decline....

Old 09-29-2008, 10:26 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
You could also buy those sponge type rollers women use to use in their hair. They come in different sizes, remove the plastic inside part you will be left with a hole through the foam roller. Slip it over eating utensils, pen/pencils anything small like that to where it has become harder to grasp and use. They slip off so you can wash the utensils or if they get too dirty throw them away and get a new one.
HTH.
My wife got a zip-up bag that is water permeable. I have a little foam thing that goes between my toes, where one toe is a bit crooked and gets stepped on by another toe. We use those little micro-fiber towels to clean glasses lens. We throw stuff like that into a bag and wash them, once in awhile.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:44 PM

109 posts, read 757,419 times
I'd contact an occupational therapist and see what they'd suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products