Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:48 AM

485 posts, read 1,841,434 times

Advertisements

In an era of financial chaos, corporate cutbacks, layoffs, to much debt, and a falling stock market, I do not understand why there is still so much junk at the Mall.

Has anyone gone over to the Mall and really looked at the things that were for sale and the incredible amount of money people will pay for these things. It seems so illogical and impractical in times like this.

Ever been to one of those stores that sell only trinkets and gifts. They are usually found in tourist areas. There is not one thing at these stores that anyone really needs. What will happen to these stores in an era of rapidly falling prosperity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 09:07 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,687,228 times
I haven't been too impressed with what I have seen at the mall recently either. Which is kind of sad since I have some Westfield gift cards I have received over the years that I have not used yet. Pretty sad when you can't find anything to spend $ 300 on at the mall.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:06 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,625,298 times
The last time I went to a mall, (we have three of them, within a 35-mile radius), was over a year ago. I don't like to shop in the first place, (I'm one of those odd females), and there is rarely anything in them that I want. When I did go the last time, I bought a ballcap at Old Navy, one of the few places that I will go to, on the rare times that I find myself at a mall. There really is a lot of junk in these places, entirely useless, and overpriced, in my opinion.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:49 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,313,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
In an era of financial chaos, corporate cutbacks, layoffs, to much debt, and a falling stock market, I do not understand why there is still so much junk at the Mall.

Has anyone gone over to the Mall and really looked at the things that were for sale and the incredible amount of money people will pay for these things. It seems so illogical and impractical in times like this.

Ever been to one of those stores that sell only trinkets and gifts. They are usually found in tourist areas. There is not one thing at these stores that anyone really needs. What will happen to these stores in an era of rapidly falling prosperity?
Even in trying financial times like these, there are people who still enjoy shopping. Besides, It doesn't matter whether a person "needs" something or doesn't. There is no law prohibiting one from buying whatever they want of they have the money. Granted, things are tight now for many, but not for all.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:24 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,063,131 times
Are you saying I don't really need that souvenier shot glass, or the bobble-head monkey?

Old 09-30-2008, 07:24 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,674,495 times
Enclosed shopping malls have been on there way out, anyway. Owners have to charge higher rents to stores in order to heat and cool such huge places who in turn pass on those higher costs to you, the customer. And in many cases, when you go to a mall you can't park next to the store you most want to go to like you can with a strip mall. A lot of people don't like that.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,737,191 times
After living abroad for years and being in America now for 6 months, I've been to a mall once. Looking for outdoor work clothes and didn't find any. Haven't been back. The mall is a drudge. They've been carrying the same old same old for the last 20 years. In malls overseas you can drink beer and play slot machines and it's way more fun. Ours are dull.

But speaking of stuff, I was in Value Village the other day, a local thrift store franchise. Very clean, well organized, well lit, stocked with everything under the sun. Housed in a cast off supermarket store.

Cookware, lamps, furniture, bedding, dishes, household appliances, clothing, kids stuff, shoes, decorative household items.....on and on. All clean and in good repair and for a couple of bucks, thrown away by multitudes of Americans. So much stuff. All tossed away for free.

Junk is every where. New junk, old junk, used junk--stuff stuff and more stuff. It is inevitable that America reach a saturation point of stuff. How many blenders, bath sets, flower vases, can openers, pairs of slippers, sweaters, decorative pillows, fax machines, electric hair curlers, coffee pots and baking dishes and shower curtains does one need in a lifetime?

We have reached our limit. The mall is now redundant.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:54 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
It's shocking. When I finally starting working and had a lot of money, I remember going to the mall...and thinking, "This is all crap. I don't want any of this." So true. I don't know what the heck people buy.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:10 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,420,288 times
The only thing I like at the mall is Walden Books because I get gift certificates, lol. Otherwise I think malls are going to become extinct.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,063,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's shocking. When I finally starting working and had a lot of money, I remember going to the mall...and thinking, "This is all crap. I don't want any of this." So true. I don't know what the heck people buy.
This post (and some others on here too) remind me of the new B-52's song "Funplex". One of the lines in the song goes something like this: "... faster, faster - can't get enough. What the hell will I do with this stuff!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products