Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:06 PM

654 posts, read 3,455,915 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for a new cordless drill. In doing some work at my house it will be very handy to have such a drill that can drill holes through walls, screw down screws and other useful tasks. I already have a complete set of drill, screwdriver and other bits to keep a drill busy.

I am familiar with most of the main brand names of the drills but what makes it for the best value and durability? And does it make a difference whether its 14V or 18?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 12:27 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,766 times
I would get an 18V lithium ion one if you don't care about the size. Also realize there are two popular types now, the typical drill driver which has a settable clutch and the impact driver which has no clutch. The impact driver will punch screws through wood easily, and also drill holes pretty well, but you have no stopping control. The drill driver with torque settings is good for machine screws so you can stop at the proper time. You can tell the difference using them, since the impact driver has a hammering sound when it encounters resistance, the hammering is the impact motion.

If you don't use them that often, then a NiMH or NiCd battery will cost less, but the battery won't last as long. The voltage gives you more torque for drilling. Pretty much all brands at Home Depot or Lowes are decent, except maybe the cheapest, flimsy plastic ones (i.e. those cheap Black and Decker ones).

Old 10-07-2008, 12:29 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,671 times
For many years we have used 18v Dewalt industrial drills at work. We have disassembled entire airplanes with them. Wing fairings, floor boards, and fuel plates have several hundred screws. These are company tools, so they don't get the best care. They have been dropped from taildocks, covered in hydraulic fluid, and used for 3 shifts in a row. The tool room keeps a bank of battery chargers going. I would say the average is two batteries per shift. I'm very happy with the torque, and reliability. Most of us have seen the abuse they take, and have said that we would buy them for home use too.

They are starting to replace them with Bosch drills now. The Bosch is lighter. It doesn't feel as durable. I'm not happy with the torque settings, and the chuck. I have my doubts that they will last very long in our industrial environment.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:40 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Not my area, but a friend of mine is a retired contractor and he used Dewalt almost exclusively.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
I would suggest a Dewalt 18volt drill. But don't buy the homeowner one because they don't have any power. We have some older Dewalt 18volt tools that had larger batteries and they have always worked great. A few months ago we bought a new 18volt "compact" Dewalt drill and it was a piece of junk. We had to return it because the batteries didn't hold a charge and it didn't have much power. They actually changed the size of the batteries on the 18volts. Just make sure you get the ones with the larger batteries.

Lisa

Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Here's my list of important qualities.

1. Weight.

2. Cost (including costs of spare battery or charger)

3. Must be reversible. If I'm using it as a "screwdriver" I need to be able to take screws OUT as well as put them in.

That being said...I don't own one right now. Mine's corded. But I use my landlord's Ryobi to do work around the trailer park sometimes, it's an 18V, with a keyless chuck.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:35 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
I am in the market for a new cordless drill. In doing some work at my house it will be very handy to have such a drill that can drill holes through walls, screw down screws and other useful tasks. I already have a complete set of drill, screwdriver and other bits to keep a drill busy.

I am familiar with most of the main brand names of the drills but what makes it for the best value and durability? And does it make a difference whether its 14V or 18?
I have a 14V by Black and Decker. Unless you need to penetrate concrete, a lower powered item will do. I used to get the top of the line product with regard to drills but I find the durability to last no longer than 3-4 years.

For me, now, I look for one that has compatibility with my pre-existing drill bits and attachments. Additionally, since I save the cords, the cords are compatible assuming the same energy requirements.

I have 2 electric screwdrivers and 2 electric drills. My electric screwdrivers are easier to manipulate and use for simple drill bits or even moderately powered usages.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:36 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,021 times
Get a DeWalt.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:54 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
My cordless drill is an old fashoned hand crank drill.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:55 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times
This month's issue of Consumer Reports covers cordless drills and Panasonic is at the top of the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products