Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 03:31 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times

Advertisements

I want to give a few of the parents in my class a nice little gift for helping us out so much. What would be something nice for under about 10dollars each??

I was thinking chocolates? I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 04:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Maybe a Starbucks card? Or a nice glass ornament for their tree?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:38 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I'm thrinking...

I wouldn't go with any of those ideas: you don't know dietary habits/restrictions, you don't know if they drink coffee (I wouldn't use a Starbucks), you don't know if they celebrate Christmas.

Maybe an Amaryllis or paperwhite kit? I think they run about $9.99. Possibly a nice pen, some general holiday/wintery hand towels or kitchen towels, a reed diffuser or scented candle? Do you know their tastes?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:53 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
How about a "spread the wealth" Christmas tree ornament?

http://www.stupid.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/redist-1.jpg (broken link)

Or maybe a "nose pencil sharpener"?

http://www.stupid.com/Merchant2/graphics/products/nosesharp.jpg (broken link)

Or chocolate. Ignore Flamingo - everybody loves chocolate.

The Starbucks card isn't a bad idea, either. They do have more than coffee there...

A gift cert/card for the local ice cream parlor would probably also be well received.

If your parents are the granola-crunching type, you could have a tree planted in their name - TreePeople do it for $20 - other similar organizations may do it for less.

I'm sure you'll come up with something appropriate. The fact that you're even doing something like this indicates that you care enough for me to know that you'll be fine.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:24 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times

LOL, I do but I'm picky about it.

How about something you make yourself? ('cept fruitcake - cookies, brownies, a nut roll/loaf, etc. nicely wrapped w/a thank you card - they could always share w/others if they have some food issues. Teachers don't make megabucks, I don't think they would expect more.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:34 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
When I am in doubt I always give gas gift cards everybody uses and needs it. You don't have to worry about the wrong size or if they are allergic. Then they will think of you again when using it!

Old 11-26-2008, 12:19 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post

LOL, I do but I'm picky about it.

How about something you make yourself? ('cept fruitcake - cookies, brownies, a nut roll/loaf, etc. nicely wrapped w/a thank you card - they could always share w/others if they have some food issues. Teachers don't make megabucks, I don't think they would expect more.
Not everybody has a sanitary kitchen and you don't know if they always wash their hands when preparing food. I can't tell you how many potlucks I've been to only to bite into something that has cat or dog hair in it.

Not only that, but teachers don't necessarily have a lot of time on their hands to make a bunch of stuff.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:55 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
As a retired teacher (and a mom), I would suggest that you have their children make something really special. You could buy the materials. Maybe a very personalized ornament with their child's photo on it. That would be really appreciated and would not cost too much.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-26-2008, 04:06 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,633 times
I think a gift card would be good. That's what our kids give their teachers.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:11 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
Last year my son's teacher gave Christmas ornaments to those of us that helped. They were very pretty glass figures that would match any tree decor. At the end of the year, she planted flowers in terra-cota pots and included a pair of garden gloves. The kids decorated the outside of the pots. It was a very cute idea. Too bad the deer broke mine when it was on my front porch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products