Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 10:15 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,525 times

Advertisements

I avoid it like the plague, especially after hearing about the trampling at the Wal-Mart in the Green Acres Mall. Anyone else avoid it or have any good stories..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 12:02 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,917 times
I definitely avoid it. I did hear a guy on the TV say that he bought a few items and saved a thousand bucks, which is a nice chunk of change.

The trampling at the WalMart is beyond belief. In some stampede tradgedies, it is because people in the back, who can't see what's going on in front, start pushing and shoving without realizing the carnage that is going on out of their sight. I don't know if that's what happened here, but in any case these stores are playing with people's lives by not having an adequate crowd control plan. I hope that something good can come out of this--that this will never happen again.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:45 AM

536 posts, read 2,349,130 times
Yeah it's crazy about what happened in Valley stream. NYC's no-Wal Mart policy probably contributed to it... even if we're better off without one, it's still a side effect that this happened at the closest one to city limits. Anyway I work at the Toys R Us in Douglaston and was glad to have the closing shift today haha.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:04 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
but in any case these stores are playing with people's lives by not having an adequate crowd control plan. I hope that something good can come out of this--that this will never happen again.
They're also playing with people's lives with all the Black Friday frenzy they create before that day.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:23 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I hate shopping, so there's no way I would wake up at 4am just to go do it. Yeah, I save money (which I obsess over!), but not enough to wake up that early in the morning and fight crowds. I know of other stores who have those cheap prices that all those stores advertise for black Friday anyway.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
Thank goodness for online shopping!! You can save yourself alot of aggravation and sometimes even just as much money but shopping over the internet.

Sites like techbargains.com, amazon.com, mysimon.com make shopping online much easier.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:29 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Thank goodness for online shopping!! You can save yourself alot of aggravation and sometimes even just as much money but shopping over the internet.

Sites like techbargains.com, amazon.com, mysimon.com make shopping online much easier.
Amen to that. Amazon had some early deep discounts yesterday, especially in electronics, that eventually went back to their "regular" discounted price by midday. Did my shopping at 5 in the morning, went back to sleep about half hour later.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:20 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
I was just at the NorthPoint shopping complex in Alpharetta Ga and it was kind of nasty with crowds but the worst crowds were at Garden State Plaza in Paramus NJ 21 years ago. I recalled doing nothing but dodging cars in the parking lot(could not walk a straight line)--once inside the mall it was easier to get around

Old 11-29-2009, 11:51 AM

4 posts, read 4,464 times
well I avoided the 530 am lines but instead went around 10 the next morning, lines were short, worked out perfect, and yes Walmart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products