Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:27 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,262,678 times

Advertisements

*mods, if this would be better suited in parenting, then go ahead and move it, but i sort of thought the rampant consumerism made it fit in here.

To Buy Children’s Gifts, Mothers Do Without - Readers' Comments - NYTimes.com

aww, how sad, this woman won't get the $150 designer jeans that she wants because she has to buy "stuff" for her kids so they remember this Christmas as being the bestest ever!!!

as someone who had a pretty poor childhood, this is disgusting.

one year when i was quite small, probably about 4, there was a chance that my mom (when it was just me and my mom) wouldn't be able to get me anything for Christmas because there was just NO MONEY. she probably wondered how she was going to explain to me why the hell Santa didn't bring me anything. it just so happened that right before Christmas she won something like $104 on a scratch off lottery ticket, and managed to give me an awesome Christmas that I still remember. (by the way, she never ever ever to this day buys much of anything for herself. she's consistently given me and my brother things that she has had given to her, despite our protests. the only time she ever gets new clothes is when my dad buys it for her for Christmas.)

comparing that to this woman's "wahhhhh i can't get my designer jeans because i'm an AWESOME mother!" plight would be completely ridiculous, so don't even try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 11:34 AM

515 posts, read 1,333,792 times
Who needs designer jeans anyway?And if you do, just get them from an outlet store!
If the mom can't afford things for christmas, and is still buying designer clothing, obv. she has no money sense or any idea on how to raise a child.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:34 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,455,309 times
How is this news worthy ?
Is NY Times having a slow week ?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,135,865 times
Are designer jeans still "in"? I thought that was an 80's thing.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:48 PM

917 posts, read 2,304,669 times
I'm STILL not buying things for myself so I can get good gifts for my kids! They are 32,31,28,24,22,17,15. Probably time to stop but old habits die hard.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:35 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,157,752 times
My issue is not with lamenting the inability to get something you wanted for Christmas because you have a child. It's with something that's just so superficial and unnecessary as designer jeans. I can think of a few things I'd like to get; nothing expensive, just $100 to spend on myself, but I'd much rather spend that money on someone who'll appreciate it and remember for much longer than I ever will.

I don't think there's any rule that says you should sacrifice everything for your kids all the time, but Christmas should be one of those exceptions.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:47 AM

496 posts, read 1,254,210 times
so sad when a major newspaper like this wastes ink and paper to print this story while we have two ongoing wars, we're in recession, unemployed people, people losing homes, parents unable to put food on the table, and this newspaper talks about this woman. i am not even frustrated with this woman. bad example but rings truth to it. we sacrifice everything for our kids (in her case it's designer jeans). . . who cares.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:25 PM

26,713 posts, read 41,919,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
*mods, if this would be better suited in parenting, then go ahead and move it, but i sort of thought the rampant consumerism made it fit in here.

To Buy Children’s Gifts, Mothers Do Without - Readers' Comments - NYTimes.com

aww, how sad, this woman won't get the $150 designer jeans that she wants because she has to buy "stuff" for her kids so they remember this Christmas as being the bestest ever!!!

as someone who had a pretty poor childhood, this is disgusting.

one year when i was quite small, probably about 4, there was a chance that my mom (when it was just me and my mom) wouldn't be able to get me anything for Christmas because there was just NO MONEY. she probably wondered how she was going to explain to me why the hell Santa didn't bring me anything. it just so happened that right before Christmas she won something like $104 on a scratch off lottery ticket, and managed to give me an awesome Christmas that I still remember. (by the way, she never ever ever to this day buys much of anything for herself. she's consistently given me and my brother things that she has had given to her, despite our protests. the only time she ever gets new clothes is when my dad buys it for her for Christmas.)

comparing that to this woman's "wahhhhh i can't get my designer jeans because i'm an AWESOME mother!" plight would be completely ridiculous, so don't even try.
My mom sacrificed for 19 years straight so i could have something decent for every Christmas, where is her newspaper story and publicity?

When did America start giving people cookies for things that they are expected to do? I was expected to graduate HS in my family. I didnt get a story in the Washington Post.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:49 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,432,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
My mom sacrificed for 19 years straight so i could have something decent for every Christmas, where is her newspaper story and publicity?
I'm glad you wrote that. I raised 3 kids as a single mom and would spend the money my parents gave ME for Christmas to pay for Christmas for my kids. No one gave me a story either!

At the end of the day, I think most parents far more enjoy buying gifts for their kids than for their own self.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:02 PM

199 posts, read 714,281 times
I raised four kids by myself as a single mom and not a dime in child support for the older three. I did without and worked every hour in OT I could get or got a second job for the holidays so my kids could have a good Christmas, where is my story. And designer jeans, 59 years old and never owned a pair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products