Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:16 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times

Advertisements

I can't tell you how many times I have bought something that has some kind of rebate or other mail-in offer, and I screw it up. I'll misplace the receipt or forget to save the UPC or whatever. I bought some lunch meat yesterday emblazoned with a TRY ME FREE sticker, and I paperclipped it (it has the rebate instructions) to the receipt. Of course, the instructions say I must send in the UPC code. I'll probably forget all about it until after I throw the packaging away, and then oh darn, there's another rebate I didn't get. Herbal Essences shampoo had a promotion a month or so ago where if you bought two products, you could send in for a free haircut. I thought my daughter would like that. I needed the UPC symbols, which were part of the bottles, which I couldn't cut up until the bottles were empty, and of course we forgot. My husband has missed out on hundreds of dollars in rebates from electronics companies. He loses the receipt or some vital piece, or he just plain forgets until the offer expires.

I know this is normal and the companies running these promotions plan on something like 80% of rebates never being claimed, but each time I just want to .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 01:31 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,738,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I can't tell you how many times I have bought something that has some kind of rebate or other mail-in offer, and I screw it up. I'll misplace the receipt or forget to save the UPC or whatever. I bought some lunch meat yesterday emblazoned with a TRY ME FREE sticker, and I paperclipped it (it has the rebate instructions) to the receipt. Of course, the instructions say I must send in the UPC code. I'll probably forget all about it until after I throw the packaging away, and then oh darn, there's another rebate I didn't get. Herbal Essences shampoo had a promotion a month or so ago where if you bought two products, you could send in for a free haircut. I thought my daughter would like that. I needed the UPC symbols, which were part of the bottles, which I couldn't cut up until the bottles were empty, and of course we forgot. My husband has missed out on hundreds of dollars in rebates from electronics companies. He loses the receipt or some vital piece, or he just plain forgets until the offer expires.

I know this is normal and the companies running these promotions plan on something like 80% of rebates never being claimed, but each time I just want to .
I used to buy things with the premise that I would send in a rebate. I lost a few dollars here and there. I no longer buy with 'rebates' unless they are instant rebates.

However, I find things online cheaper than the product with rebates from brick and mortar stores.

They bank on you paying full price only to 'blow the deal' on your end.

I read Compusa was big on having the worst rebate payouts. I had the best experience with Staples....

Old 02-03-2009, 02:07 PM

26,220 posts, read 49,066,237 times
I always GET my rebates, especially on stuff like anti-virus software. I won't let those creeps keep my money.

And I resent the hell out of these rebate gimmicks, any company that does these rebates goes my ***** list immediately.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:40 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:

Not among me and my friends!

We are rebate queens and make sure we get every dollar that we are entitled to.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:45 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
My last two rebates I was able to do online. Just had to give the store number and the transaction number printed on the receipt.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:17 PM

24,479 posts, read 26,017,453 times
I've never had a problem with mail in rebates. Read and understand the requirements, comply with them and be prompt. Mark you calendar when you mail it and make a copy.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:21 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,135,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I always GET my rebates, especially on stuff like anti-virus software. I won't let those creeps keep my money.

And I resent the hell out of these rebate gimmicks, any company that does these rebates goes my ***** list immediately.
Slightly off topic but --

There are free programs that are as good if not better than paid programs. There are some real geeks down in the tech section (and elsewhere on the Internet) who'll back that up.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:23 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,135,377 times
Quote:

What I don't understand are car rebates. Why is it that this is considered a good deal? "Buy this car and get $3000 cash back!" What nonsense.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,379,620 times
I have a coupon binder that I store my rebate info in. I staple the rebate to the reciept and write the date I need to mail it in by. I always mark it 2 weeks in advance to be on the safe side. I am frugal and I save containers in case I need them. I can transfer shampoo from the bottle needed to one of my saved bottles. I usually keep 3-4 empty shampoo bottles for things like this.

I also do alot of store rebates at Walgreens and Riteaid. The rebate along with coupons are good deals. When you do the rebates for Walgreens and Riteaid, you can enter the info online. You just need the receipt.

I go to Hot Coupon World to help plan my deals.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
dont be too hard on yourself. of the 20% that get turned in a lot never get paid to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products