Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times

Advertisements

I'll admit it. I'm a Harbor Freight junkie. I know that a lot of what they sell has problems, but I can't resist the pricing. A couple of years back I bought a well pump/pressure tank from them on sale for $100 (try beating that price). We have a large cistern above the house, so the pump only needs to add to the water pressure. It isn't something that calls for a huge expensive pump. I figured it might not last, so I bought the one year extended guarantee. The pressure tank developed a pinhole leak a few months after that guarantee ran out. We all know where this normally goes, right?

I called the store, and they said "Bring it in, we'll exchange it and all you'll have to pay is the cost of a new two year guarantee ($30). I did, and they followed through, now I have another 27 months of guarantee on a brand new system. I promptly went back in the store and bought another $100 worth of items. If you know what to avoid, this store is simply awesome in proper customer care. I have used their no-quibble guarantee a couple of times before and it IS no quibble. I'm normally not an easy customer to please, but the consistency of this puts me in a good mood.

I compare HF to a different farm supply store with a bit of common farm equipment in the name. When I attempted to bring in a gas powered pump under their additional guarantee, I was told to write to the company that did the guarantees, get an approval, and IF approved I would either get a part or the unit would be repaired. Meanwhile, I couldn't pump the water that I needed to pump. THAT company now gets minimal business from me, while Harbor Freight has pulled in a few thousand off me.

How about it, are there any stores you frequent that go above and beyond? Hopefully there are more stores out there that do things right than the one importer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
L.L. Bean is fantastic for customer service and returns/refunds.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 PM

230 posts, read 758,193 times
APPLE! My daughter's laptop was having serious hardware problems and she had only had it about 15 months. We had brought it back to the store previously for repairs. On our 3rd trip back for repair I voiced my concern to the manager that her laptop appeared to be a "lemon" because of the repair history/problems. I requested that it be replaced with a new one. The manager had no problem with my request and gave my daughter a brand new one - even an upgraded model at that! We are very pleased with the customer service we received. Apple stands by its products and provides excellent customer service when you need it.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:08 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Apple =

Old 04-23-2009, 04:10 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,672 times
Sephora.

Make-up, skin care, fragrances, hair-care. It's often very difficult to tell if you're going to truly love these sorts of products until you try them. Not just a swipe of lipstick on the back of your hand, but a full day of wearing said lipstick. Shampoo and condition your hair and see how it feels later that night. Wear that mascara all day and see if it flakes. How does that make-up feel and look on your whole face all day, in all different types of light?

My experiences with Sephora have been uniformly wonderful. First off, they are more than willing to give you sample of their products to take home and try at your leisure. They keep bunches of tiny jars on hand for exactly that purpose. Additionally, for items where you can't take samples home (lipsticks, mascara), it has been my experience that they'll take them back.

Additionally, their sales staff seems very knowledgeable. In my experience, they've always demonstrated a detailed knowledge of all the product lines and will make recommendations based on the customers' needs and desires. I've shopped at Sephora's in several states and have found the level of customer service to be consistent across the board.

I believe their website sales work the same way. If you buy it, try it and don't like it, you can return it.

Granted, I suppose if you abused their good nature by returning EVERY SINGLE THING every time you purchase something, I'm sure they'd be less likely to greet you with open arms.

The lines sold at Sephora are a bit pricier than similar items at the drugstore, but if you like those lines, keep Sephora in mind.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:44 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Costco is great about returns! They are da sh**!!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
Nordstrom's is amazing for customer service.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:40 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Had great customer service at Bed, Bath & Beyond while I was in the store and afterward over the phone. Employees were friendly, knowledgable, and willing to take action to make sure I got the product I wanted in a reasonable time and a discounted price.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:57 PM

208 posts, read 605,352 times
My closest Chick-Fil-A has fast service, great employees, and excellent food. I've never been disappointed. They stay packed too but move in a quick, efficient manner.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:14 PM

56 posts, read 195,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMYDACH View Post
APPLE! My daughter's laptop was having serious hardware problems and she had only had it about 15 months. We had brought it back to the store previously for repairs. On our 3rd trip back for repair I voiced my concern to the manager that her laptop appeared to be a "lemon" because of the repair history/problems. I requested that it be replaced with a new one. The manager had no problem with my request and gave my daughter a brand new one - even an upgraded model at that! We are very pleased with the customer service we received. Apple stands by its products and provides excellent customer service when you need it.
+1!

When my macbook pro broke (well wonky graphics card) They excanged it with another no questions asked. Well, that one broke too only a few weeks later. I then emailed and got them to replace it with a 24" iMac that cost even more than the macbook pros, and was a newer generation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products