Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:54 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,461,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

I want to live in WalMart.
Walmart is my second home.

I spend at least 35 hours a week there...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 07:49 PM

862 posts, read 1,643,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It matters because i'm more interested in the everyday prices within a store. A couple of limited time/limited supply bargains at Wally are meaningless to me when the items i most commonly purchase are priced 2-8% higher than the everyday prices at Target.
I want to shop at YOUR Target! Ours is so much more expensive over all. Actually for the most part EVERY Target I've been to overall is more expensive than Walmart on like items. There are certain items that are always cheaper, and then there are good sales at Target.

I shop Walmart Target Kmart Sams Club. I buy where it's cheaper at the moment that I need to purchase the item.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:53 PM

862 posts, read 1,643,229 times
Thanks.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:37 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
I want to shop at YOUR Target! Ours is so much more expensive over all. Actually for the most part EVERY Target I've been to overall is more expensive than Walmart on like items. There are certain items that are always cheaper, and then there are good sales at Target.

I shop Walmart Target Kmart Sams Club. I buy where it's cheaper at the moment that I need to purchase the item.
LOL. I don't know, maybe WM charges a little more in Connecticut than they do in other states. I truly don't see great prices at the WM's here on commodities that aren't exclusive to WM. Furthermore, the Target's around here absolutely spank WM's butt on prices for name-brand food commodities.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Furthermore, the Target's around here absolutely spank WM's butt on prices for name-brand food commodities.
Wow- I find just the opposite here. When SuperTarget arrived, I went in to grocery shop and what I found was a very limited selection (basically, Target's Archer Farms brand and one (MAYBE two if I was lucky) higher priced brands and that was it. When I go to Walmart, I get the same brand selection I do at my grocery store. Target is a more pleasant store (physically) to be in but I finally gave up doing grocery shopping there -too frustrating)...I will grab a grocery item if I am there on other errands and need a little something but that's about it.....I will add that WM is not cheaper on everything individually but over the course of an entire shopping trip I do see a difference. Also, to do my complete shopping I visit 3-4 stores (WM, regular grocery, Costco and our little organic grocer)

Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You mean the Chinese counterpart that is less expensive but supports a government that violates many human rights and is less expensive because the factories are not held to the same environmental or safety standards as companies manufacturing here in the US? Why is WalMart evil but China and US companies sending their manufacturing jobs over there to avoid more stringent laws are ok?
I really do not know what you are implying there.

What I am saying is that my argument is not along the lines of American Made versus Chinese.

It is not validating our own desire for $3 packages of tube socks and China's pressing need to make them regardless of social or environmental impact....

Old 07-13-2009, 12:57 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
What does it matter what "gimmick" they use? If it's cheaper, it's cheaper.
Because it makes it harder to track.

Like the whole BS about MSRP. What Manufacturer these days actually gives an MSRP that retailers follow? Crutchfield? I can NEVER depend on the bogus % off retail prices I see things advertised at in ANY store these days.

Other practices by manufacturers are similar, like putting something on sale (75 cents off!!!) but you look closely and realize that they upped the price by 50¢, so you really are only getting it for 25¢ off AND the price will go up after the sale is over.

Or what they have been doing with OJ, the "EZ pour" size (59oz) instead of the standard 64 (sold at the same price) or the 89oz instead of the 96oz (which was always more expensive than the 64 oz size of the same product, ounce for ounce).

I know, this is not all WalMart, but they have done a LOT more studying on this and have found ways to make people believe tehy are spending less when EVERY SINGLE ONE of their commercials shows some idiotic comparison such as buying their stuff versus going to McDonalds every morning for Breakfast.

"You can save $800 a year!!!!"

Yeah? I can save the same $$ by buying things on sale at Shop Rite AND the people there are paid more and are more willing to help me, but whatever.

As for the different item innards? I have not heard about that myself, but I do know that is what happens with some of the suppliers to Home Depot. The Ryobi you get there is NOT the Ryobi you get at Sears. They do make special batches to reduce cost where they can. Unfortunately, that also reduces quality....

As for people having a problem with Wal-Mart and not the guys MAKING the stuff, I think is it is both, not one or the other. But when Wal-Mart buys 50,000 units of something, if people can get THEM to stop because they, as consumers, hae expressed their discontent by not buying them, that has a tendency to make a much louder and clearer statement than individuals siting one particular manufacturer.

Does that make it right? Nope, but it is a lot easier to criticize the person selling it to the consumer than to do the research and find out who made what how and why....

Old 07-13-2009, 08:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Basically what wal-mart has annouced is that they will be looking to change their stores to appeal to higer end shopers. i thin that is because their sales show that they are atrtascting people who want more i the store.Likje Target and others its never goign to be a highend store as far as product go. Neither for eaxmple are goig to start selling Macy's higher end products but Macy's has started to carry lower end products as pressure mounts.Its no different from when wal-marts groceries did not have a deli section or fresh bakery section in their stores.It changes with the customer wants and does it very well;while keeping prices low. One reason they are in so many foreign countries doing well.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:52 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Of course... but if I want something cheap and disposable I would buy at Walmart... if I wanted something that would last I wouldn't. You'll end up replacing things bought from Walmart more times than if you simply bought the nicer product at the higher price.

My grandfather is a self made man who is very wealthy and he wouldn't ever step foot in a Walmart. He knows that by supporting local businesses, they support him (he does insurance for many local businesses).
I have never had a problem w/ the quality of Wal-Mart's products. I still wear clothes that I bought there 7 years ago -- they are excellent quality and still going strong. I will shop there again. Target, on the other hand...not so much

Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Wal-mart carries so many of the same name brands as other MERCHANTS, only cheaper. I don't go to the store, to check out the people or what they are wearing, i could care less, i am looking for a deal, no matter what the store. Target and Wal-mart and K-Mart carry some much of the same items, i buy from all of them, and the classier department stores. Just depends on what i am wanting at that time. My Wal-mart is actually starting to carry some pretty nice furniture, and accents for the home, that i have seen on one online site, for triple the amount of Wal-mart, so it just depends on what you are shopping for. I don't give a hoot who is shopping there, i go in there, do my thing and i am out. I shop everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products