Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:39 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times

Advertisements

AHHHHH I've been on Ebay for 4+ years with 425 100% feedback. I've sold numerous high end items regarding jewelry and handbags. I just sold a LV purse set, a Tiffany & Co set and a coach handbag set. The person who bid on my Coach set has a 7 feedback and no coach experience. Sends me an email stating my stuff is fake, lightweight, cheap looking and has cheap lightweight hardware on it. What the hell were they expecting-a purse to weigh 25lbs???Now mind you that the wallet still has the original purchase Coach tag on it!!!! I then realized that this person left me negative feedback 3.5 hrs before!!!! Of course due to the new rules, I cannot leave them negative feedback but only respond to my feedback left. Now someone tell me how does that protect other sellers from this idiot???? I called Ebay and was told this doesn't fit the removal because its not malicious!! I'm like they never contacted me before leaving negative feedback and look at my feedback compared to theirs!!!! WTF????? I'm soo aggravated right now. As if I would ruin my hard earned Ebay reputation over a F-ing 6 year old used Coach purse!! COME ON NOW!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 08:06 PM

247 posts, read 1,290,438 times
When eBay made this change a little over a year ago, there was a giant uproar for that very reason. Ebay protects the buyers and not the sellers. There is no way to alert other sellers any more over a bad buyer. I'm sorry that you got a neg, the first one always hurts the worst. I've been on eBay for 9 years and have gotten only 4 negs but each one was unjustified and did nothing wrong to deserve them. The only thing that I tried to remember is "you can't please all of the people all of the time" and that's just what you have to think. There are some buyers that no matter what you do, they will still be unhappy. Try not to let it get to you too much. Buyers will still see your outstanding feedback and won't judge you on just one neg. BTW eBay doesn't care, all they want is their payday. And unfortunately they have the monopoly on the auction sites, so there really isn't any where else to go. Chin up, I'm sure your a great seller and most buyers will respond to that.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:23 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,785,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
AHHHHH I've been on Ebay for 4+ years with 425 100% feedback. I've sold numerous high end items regarding jewelry and handbags. I just sold a LV purse set, a Tiffany & Co set and a coach handbag set. The person who bid on my Coach set has a 7 feedback and no coach experience. Sends me an email stating my stuff is fake, lightweight, cheap looking and has cheap lightweight hardware on it. What the hell were they expecting-a purse to weigh 25lbs???Now mind you that the wallet still has the original purchase Coach tag on it!!!! I then realized that this person left me negative feedback 3.5 hrs before!!!! Of course due to the new rules, I cannot leave them negative feedback but only respond to my feedback left. Now someone tell me how does that protect other sellers from this idiot???? I called Ebay and was told this doesn't fit the removal because its not malicious!! I'm like they never contacted me before leaving negative feedback and look at my feedback compared to theirs!!!! WTF????? I'm soo aggravated right now. As if I would ruin my hard earned Ebay reputation over a F-ing 6 year old used Coach purse!! COME ON NOW!!!!!
I feel your pain, I have had the same thing happen not too long ago.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:06 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I've been buying on eBay for over 10 years (3,000 positives). I always look at a seller's feedback before bidding. If a seller has a negative, I'm more concerned about how he/she responded to the neg than I am about what the buyer said. If you respond with a polite, but matter-of-fact, comment, the neg shouldnt hurt you. Too, if the buyer is a newbie, most potential buyers will take that into consideration.

I really sympathize with how badly you feel over this. One thing you might consider doing (if it's allowed by eBay) is including mention in your current and future auctions about the undeserved neg (no names or User ID's, though). That way, you can address the situation in greater detail than you can in a feedback response to the neg. Your response to the neg can say something like "See my current auctions for response to this undeserved neg." Just keep it all unemotional and factual.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:10 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
P.S. If the neg r-e-a-l-l-y bothers you, you can contact the buyer and offer to settle somehow so she'd be willing to have the neg removed. I think you can do that if you pay $25 and both sides agree. Many years ago, a seller confused me with another buyer and left 5 negs for me by mistake; she was apologetic and agreed to ask eBay to remove them -- although I had to pay the $25 to eBay to file the claim.

I was devastated by those negs and I dont even sell -- so I truly sympathize with your feelings.

Edited to add that, should you file with eBay for feedback removal, you wont be able to remove the actual feedback comments but eBay will remove the negative rating.

Last edited by TFW46; 07-25-2009 at 09:29 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 07:08 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I had already contacted Ebay about it and Im not interested in talking to this buyer and Im not paying $25. Ebay has gotten more than enough money from me. This person have no clue about anything when it comes to Coach. They said to me that my purse was too lightweight and that the hardware was too lightweight..I mean its a Signature Coach Demi purse-one of the smallest purses they make!! I don't know what this person was expecting seriously! A purse that weighs a bowling ball empty??? Come on now!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:58 AM

247 posts, read 1,290,438 times
You can't pay to have negatives removed. Here is a link to the feedback policy: Feedback Withdrawal and Removal Paying is not one of them. I'm not sure what the other poster meant about having to pay $25, but it had nothing to do with feedback removal. It's possible that he meant that when you file a report with eBay the first $25 is not covered (but you don't have to pay that)

Old 07-26-2009, 09:06 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
I've been on Ebay about 8 years as a seller. I set certain restrictions on the higher end items. I'm not sure what you can do about the negative feedback, but for future reference maybe you should restrict those sales to buyers with 15 feedback and no negatives in the past 3 months, for example.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:27 AM

914 posts, read 4,445,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I've been buying on eBay for over 10 years (3,000 positives). I always look at a seller's feedback before bidding. If a seller has a negative, I'm more concerned about how he/she responded to the neg than I am about what the buyer said. If you respond with a polite, but matter-of-fact, comment, the neg shouldnt hurt you. Too, if the buyer is a newbie, most potential buyers will take that into consideration.
I totally agree with this. Everyone is allowed to make purchases on eBay- even morons. As a buyer, one negative feedback from someone doesn't turn me off of the seller if they respond well the the negative feedback. I think most reasonable people (and probably the kind of person you want to be buying from you) realize the situation you describe happens unfortunately frequently on eBay.

What does turn me off on a seller is when they don't respond to the negative feedback. To me that is like the seller admitting they completely agree with what the negative feedback says.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:40 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
I've had an eBay account for well over a decade, and have one negative. It's from a seller who sent the wrong item, didn't respond to two e-mails and one "contact the seller" eBay form - after two weeks, I had no choice but to leave them a negative. They were prompt about responding to that!

I know exactly how you feel.

I had an eBay store for several years. When the feedback policy changed, it was also around the time of another fee hike. I flipped them the bird and now they're not earning from me anymore. Yeah, my overall sales went down, but the sales on my website - where I don't have to pay all their ridiculous fees - went up.

I now only go to eBay as a last resort for a hard to find item, or if there's someone selling there that's got a price so far under everyone else that it just wouldn't make sense not to buy it from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products