Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:18 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times

Advertisements

OK, so the wife and I have a Rainbow vac at home on a trial basis. Tonight we have to decide whether or not we want it.

The price they have hit us with is ~$2100. This is roughly 5 times what I would ever feel necessary to spend on a good vacuum cleaner.

But...the damn thing works like a freggin dream! It puts our Dyson to absolute shame. We'll run the dyson over an area 2 or 3 times and then go back over it with the Rainbow and we'll pull another whole canister of dirt out of the carpet. This is proof enough for me that our Dyson just isn't doing a good enough job.....it's almost as though it's doing nothing at all.

We are litterally racking our brains trying to figure out if we should really go through with it.

The hanging point is the price. Even as good as it is.....I just can't see paying this much for it.

Has anyone successfully negotiated the price down? I just have to ask before I see the salesman again tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 12:16 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
My brother used to sell those years ago. I too like the way they clean but I hate canister vacuums and the space needed to store the Rainbow.

My sister-in-law (not married to above mentioned brother) bought one a few months ago. In my area, there is a new "financing" plan. If she set-up 10 demonstrations, and two of those ten bought a Rainbow, then someone bought another Rainbow after demo number 11, she could get the vacuum for a few hundred dollars. I forget the exact amount (maybe it was just pay the sales tax). This all had to be done within 60 or 90 days. If demo number 11 didn't buy, then she'd have to keep scheduling demos within the alotted time frame. If three people didn't buy the vacuum, she'd have to pay the full price.

My SIL loves her Rainbow. She's constantly cleaning.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:41 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
They are listed brand new on Ebay for much less. We had the demo and also fell in love with vacuum, we did not fall in love with the price. I did some searching and found them on ebay and using the tax return to buy one there.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM

^I, too, have seen the ebay listings.

And we're considering that as an option as well if we don't buy this one.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:58 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times
Back in 1978 living on the ranch, a young 20 yr old pulls into our driveway in a brand new 1978 Thunderbird and knocked on our door with this 5 gallon glass bucket with cord and attachments on wheels sitting beside him.

My parents don't spend money foolishly so after a long sales pitch my parents bought this Rainbow cleaner thing. I thought they were crazy, I think it was around 1200 to 1500.00. Hell the new T-Bird was only 6,000.00.

Our house was 3500 sq.ft of carpet and they used the rainbow up till my dad passed away which was 25 yrs later and the Rainbow was sold at auction. They loved it and it never needed worked on.

My wife and I are keen on our self propelled Kirby upright we bought at auction for 2.00 and spent 140.00 to refurbish it. It too does an excellent job.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:36 PM

^Yeah I've heard they last a long time and that they are an investment. We've just been conditioned to go the cheap & easy route for so long it's hard to bring myself to drop that kind of coin on a vacuum.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:49 AM

448 posts, read 1,054,758 times
@drjones
had mine since 96 droped it down a flight of stairs and it still works like new no problems. only service it needed was to change out the belts on the power head but thats just normal maintance. you might want to ask if they have a trade in program when i bought mine i traded in an old vacum and they gave me 250 off the rainbow i didn't buy the whole package all at once i but it in pices over time. but it's amazing what this thing is capable of doing it's not listed as a vacum it's an air purifcation system i like to use mine in the winter as a vaporizor and put a few menthol crystals in with the hot water and run it clears you right out i also must admit i love the fregance packs to and using it as an air freshiner iv'e washed my windows with this thing iv'e heard of people using it as a spray painter id'e have to see that one and i don't see myself using a $2500 vacum as a spray painter though lol but that would be interesting to see. hell when i moved i used it to drain out my water bed. when i had new carpet installed the installers wanted to know what i used for a vacum when they pulled up the old rug there was no dirt on the padding to the floor it looked like they had just swept it. i haven't seen anything out there that can out clean it yet. if mine broke today i would buy a new one yes i know theres a phycological thing there with forking $2500 bucks out for a vacum.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 75,484 times
Here's the deal all bag vacuums and canister vacuums leak dust back into the air. No one is mentioning this even the kirby you think works gr8 spues dust out of the bag when you turn it on if you don't believe me just hold a light up to your bag...or exhaust if you have a canister and you will see that the dust your trying to suck up a good 35% is being put right back into your air and floor. Now do the same test with your rainbow you will find absolutly no dust escapes from this machine. Also it is a hepa certified air cleaner which no other vacuum can claim. Also n e other bag canister you name it works under the same basic principals intake motor bag/canister exhaust. Now 2 things first off take a look at the head of your vacuum. The suction is all the way to the left so you have gr8 airflow on the left side of of your power but move your way to the right hand side and what happens less and less suction meaning you guessed it the stuff your going over on the right hand side isn't getting picked up . Now the rainbow runs the suction str8 down the middle so you have equal airflow left and right side. Second your upright or canister{kirby dyson shark} to name a few all have filters now over time those filters get worn down plugged and god knows what and when this happens you loose your suction . Since the rainbow has no filters it never looses its ability to keep pulling up the dirt. Now for my last point the price I ask you this queestion look at your steps I garentee your first 2 or 3 stairs are more worn down then your 7th or 8th step and why is this I doubt your only stepping on your first 2 steps then jumping the rest of the way its because the dirt on your shoes feet whatever get worked into these areas and are damageing your carpets same with where you first walk in your front door compaired to the middle of the rug. Now figure it this way you can buy a rainbow for about 17 1800 and yes you can get the dealers to go that low and if you spend this money your going to tripple the life of your carpets and hard wood floors.if you don't your going to spend about 3 to 4000 dollars if not more on new carpets and hardwood. And yes your kirby may seem like its doing its job and to the naked eye it may look clean but your not seeing the dirt deep down which it can't get but the rainbow does and side by side tests prove it you can go over an area 10 times with a kirby dyson shark{top priced/best store bought}and then go over the exact same area right afterward with a rainbow and in only 2 strokes you will pull up about as much as youor kirby did except this is what your kirby left behind. I hope this helps in your decision process.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:17 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I had no idea rainbow vacuums existed until I read this. How odd.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:18 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
OK, so the wife and I have a Rainbow vac at home on a trial basis. Tonight we have to decide whether or not we want it.

The price they have hit us with is ~$2100. This is roughly 5 times what I would ever feel necessary to spend on a good vacuum cleaner.

But...the damn thing works like a freggin dream! It puts our Dyson to absolute shame. We'll run the dyson over an area 2 or 3 times and then go back over it with the Rainbow and we'll pull another whole canister of dirt out of the carpet. This is proof enough for me that our Dyson just isn't doing a good enough job.....it's almost as though it's doing nothing at all.

We are litterally racking our brains trying to figure out if we should really go through with it.

The hanging point is the price. Even as good as it is.....I just can't see paying this much for it.

Has anyone successfully negotiated the price down? I just have to ask before I see the salesman again tonight.

We have a rainbow and I hate the damned thing but it came with my husband when he came along so I keep them both because he is worth keeping and he loves the rainbow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products