Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 07:12 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times

Advertisements

hello!

I'm wanting to get surround sound for my tv room...it will be my first one, so i'm not going all out...not that i have the money to do so anyways!

i know you have a couple choices...buy a complete system in the box, or piece it together by buying a receiver and speakers seperately...

if i'm wanting to keep my expense around $500, which would be best for me? and i'de love to hear some suggestions on which to buy, and where to buy it from!

i don't have a big fancy tv...it's a 2001 27" Toshiba, so whatever i buy has to be compatible...

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 06:35 AM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
For that budget, just go with a boxed set. Then you don't have to worry about everything being compatible. No matter what TV you have, a boxed set will hook up to it with just a few cables.

GO to a best buy or local audio store and listen to what they have. It will sound different in your house, but you can tell if it is going to be a tinny sound, or not enough bass etc at the store.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,929 times
Check out the Vizio Soundbar with wireless subwoofer.

And post in the electronics section where more people who are electronically minded read and can help ya out.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:52 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
I also have a 27" Toshiba TV. Over 5 years ago I bought a clearance model Kenwood surround sound system, complete system in box. It's worked well for me. The box systems are fine if you don't buy them on the cheap. For example, don't go to walmart and buy a Durabrand surround sound system. Walmart does sell name brand surround sound systems but you'll find the salespeople at Best Buy or similar stores will have better knowledge of the equipment and be able to help you. One way to get your own personal system is to buy a quality receiver and two front or bookshelf speakers. Just having stereo surround is still far better than TV speakers alone. When you get together some more money, buy either a center voice speaker or a subwoofer or both. Once you have these two items, you have enough speakers to run your system in Dolby ProLogic. Add the two rear speakers and you can run in ProLogicII or a digital format. Until you get the rear and center speakers, you can still watch the DVD in digital audio but you have to go into the DVD menu options and select 2 channel stereo. I prefer the out of box system because everything is mated together by the company. Thankfully, I got mine before wood box speakers began to vanish and was switched to plastic box. Don't go less than 100 watts per channel. For most TV viewing, less than 100 watts per channel is fine but if you crank it up for big movies, it could sound strained. For your TV room, think about acoustics absorbing material to put on the walls and floor. If you have carpet on the floor, that's fine. If the walls are pure drywall or wood paneling then you should put something up on the wall to improve the acoustics. Things like drapes, taspestry, or geometric shapes cut out of wood and wrapped in foam and fabric will help with the acustics. Some new model surround sound receivers come with a microphone and automatically balance the speakers fade, LR balance, and tone so that all the sound hits your ears at the same time. I had to do this with a tape measure and guessimate with my bad hearing. But it works for me. Connect the digital audio cable from your DVD and or TV receiver to the surround sound receiver for best audio sound. If your TV has enough video inputs for all your components then connect your components' video directly to the TV instead of through the surround sound receiver. Connect your components' audio directly to the receiver. For audio/video cables, use the shortest cable needed to reach your equipment and don't bother with top of the line cables. Midgrade cables will work fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
hello!

I'm wanting to get surround sound for my tv room...it will be my first one, so i'm not going all out...not that i have the money to do so anyways!

i know you have a couple choices...buy a complete system in the box, or piece it together by buying a receiver and speakers seperately...

if i'm wanting to keep my expense around $500, which would be best for me? and i'de love to hear some suggestions on which to buy, and where to buy it from!

i don't have a big fancy tv...it's a 2001 27" Toshiba, so whatever i buy has to be compatible...

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products