Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 09:33 AM

425 posts, read 1,436,856 times

Advertisements

Okay, so here goes. I've had my fun in Chicago, learned and experienced what I wanted to learn and experience, and am moving home to Bossier City. There's just one catch...

I don't have a car. I don't even have a driver's license. Haven't for 3 years. The thought of driving a car again makes my stomach turn.

For over a year now, a bicycle has been my primary form of transportation, and I'm unsure about whether or not I'll be able to continue that in Shreveport. To be clear, I'm not worried about distances; my commutes and errands right now require about 150 miles a week of riding, and I've calculated the distances that I would have to bike in SBC and it wouldn't even be that much. I'm also not worried about bad weather; I biked all winter long in Chicago, including many days where the high was below zero.

Here are my two points of concern: 1) crossing the river. I'll likely be living in South/Central Bossier, but will have to do a lot of business in Shreveport. If my memory serves, Jimmie Davis would not be a possible crossing on a bike, limiting me to crossing at Texas St. or Shreveport-Barksdale. Number 2), and this is the real concern, is what the driver attitude is going to be. In Chicago, bikes are common enough that drivers accept us on the road, and understand that it is actually illegal and more dangerous to ride a bike on sidewalks. So my question is:

How would you, as a driver, react to sharing the road with a cyclist? Also, are there others out there that bike regularly, or would I be pretty much on my own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 04:16 PM

38 posts, read 104,346 times
I would be courteous to you because you have a right to bike. However, bikes aren't too common here as they are in other urban/metro areas and other parts of the country, such as the Northeast or Midwest. Most national health/physical activity polls have Southern states listed dead last. I'm pretty sure that when coming across a bicyclist, some drivers here would be clueless or view you as a road obstacle. I think that more urban areas here should be more bike-friendly and the only way to do that is to show that yes, people actually do ride bikes. Years ago when I was going to college in Lafayette, I saw a man knocked over on his bike because a driver wasn't paying attention while they were making a turn. Another man had a driver screech to a stop behind him and laid on the horn because he wasn't riding on the sidewalk.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
You can add more clothes in the cold but there is only so much you can take off in the heat & humidity.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:47 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
I wouldn't want to ride a bike in Shreveport, especially with the heat of that area. I'm used to them here in Houston, but there aren't many in Shreveport, and the drivers aren't used to sharing the road with bicyclists.
I could never ride a bike on the road, don't have the guts for it.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:41 AM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
shreveport and esp. bosier are too redneck to share the road with cyclists. Massive size pick ups and suvs will run over you. Little squatty cars will too. There is too much meaness around here. There are cycling clubs around here so its not unheard of but most of them stick with the parkways and the outer reaches of town.

It would benenfit the locals if they would take advantage of the nice weather we have had lately and ride. The south in generral and Lousiana in particular are a lazy bunch. Must be the heat although they can't say that this week as we have had picture perfect weather other than the very dry conditions.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,450 times
You can cross the shreveport barksdale bridge easily and there are north south bike paths on both sides of the river. This area has no bike lanes in the cities. I would ride something with fat tires also because the roads are rough and you can hit the curbs or side walks in a pinch. You can do it, you will just have to adapt a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City