Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:27 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

A large part of the reasoning behind this is that the South has historically been rural and agrarian and many people continue to resist urbanization and density, and that brings jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 01:24 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbt1766 View Post
OP- Texas has people from all over the country moving in for all kinds of jobs including tech jobs. Texas has one of the best if not best economies in the whole country. Many educated people from all over are moving to Texas.
Texas is a bunch of northern transplants trying to get a piece of the energy boom and affordable housing. It is a boom. With every boom there is a bust. Texas economy is hardly praise worthy; low wage labor mixed with oil, oil, and oil. Even oil companies need tech jobs...

Old 08-19-2014, 04:42 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
The very things you mention at the end of your post, BTDT, are the straws that broke the camel's back for me. I have become a very embittered resident in SBC and just literally sick of the place. Sure I would move but I would have to divorce my wife as she doesn't see the disgust I have for the area. Since she's not even a native of Louisiana she has nothing vested in it.

Even Longview Texas is very nice compared to our cities; clean, modern, roads in great shape and get the necessary repairs and widening. I just do not understand how these so-called "leaders" here are so blind as not to see what is wrong. Since I don't have that sociopathic mind, I probably never will. Unfortunately the god they worship is at the bank. None other exists for them. The political leaders here in SBC just suck.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:02 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Where is the Tech Community of the South? Why are we void of leadership which has any interest and understanding of what the value of a Tech Community is to Growth in the 21st Century.
Georgia Tech ranked quite high by US News and World Report, U of T Austin has some of the smartest tech folks I know of

Old 08-19-2014, 08:04 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
OP- Texas has people from all over the country moving in for all kinds of jobs including tech jobs. Texas has one of the best if not best economies in the whole country. Many educated people from all over are moving to Texas.
Thje high tech part of TX is Austin, which isn't really Southern.

I think the South's failure is due to conservative ideology and ghettoization

Old 08-19-2014, 08:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
The very things you mention at the end of your post, BTDT, are the straws that broke the camel's back for me. I have become a very embittered resident in SBC and just literally sick of the place. Sure I would move but I would have to divorce my wife as she doesn't see the disgust I have for the area. Since she's not even a native of Louisiana she has nothing vested in it.
She isn't from there and has nothing vested. She must love the place.

I'd rather almost anywhere but.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 PM

317 posts, read 328,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Texas is a bunch of northern transplants trying to get a piece of the energy boom and affordable housing. It is a boom. With every boom there is a bust. Texas economy is hardly praise worthy; low wage labor mixed with oil, oil, and oil. Even oil companies need tech jobs...
Texas has a more diversified economy than just oil, it's a lot larger than just oil. Texas isn't a low population state like North Dakota. There are too many millions of people in Texas for most of them to just be in oil, that's just nonsense. Companies from all over the country have moved into Texas to take advantage of lower taxes and affordable housing for their workers.

The Texas economy has been growing steadily for a few decades it's not just a boom.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:57 PM

OP- Not every state in the south is the same. Texas is different from Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee.

For one thing Texas is way more Hispanic than any of those other states. Has a ton of transplants from California, mid western states and northern states.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Thje high tech part of TX is Austin, which isn't really Southern.

I think the South's failure is due to conservative ideology and ghettoization

Austin is in Texas so it is considered southern. Every large city in Texas has tech jobs. Texas has the best economy in the whole country.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:17 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Austin is in Texas so it is considered southern. Every large city in Texas has tech jobs. Texas has the best economy in the whole country.
No, state lines are irrelevant to culture. East Texas is part of the South but the rest of the state has more in common with the SW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City