Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:58 AM

48 posts, read 87,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
My brother went to school at WSU in Pullman. It was an 18 hour drive for him to come visit or visa versa.

Tuition is an important factor.
Lol yeah, it'd be more like a 24 hour drive for me! I'm about 2 1/2 hours away from Seattle, which is 4-5 hours away from Pullman. I'm afraid of flying and my husband and I have never been on a plane so we'd be driving that whole way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The enrollment at USD is approx. 9,000 students. The town's population is just over 10,000. This of course includes students that live off campus. There is plenty of places to go within an hours drive for shopping etc. Sioux Falls (pop. 150,000+) is less than an hour drive north. Sioux City (pop. 85,000+) is a little over 1/2 hour drive south and Yankton (pop. 15,000+) is less than 1/2 hour drive to the west. Also, it's only about 125 miles south down I-29 to Omaha which is a much larger city of (I'm guessing here) around 400,000 population.

USD has a strong Communications department. I'd check it out.

USD has recently built a large on campus apartment complex. These are not dorm rooms, but actual apartments. I'm sure they're filled for this coming school year, but you can get on the list for next year.
See, I really like how an hour's drive takes you to many different places. There's only one direction I can take to get anywhere now, so this is something I would absolutely love. Vermillion sounds like a realy promising place to live, for a young couple that isn't expecting anything flashy or crazy. I still haven't received my admissions letter from U of M, but I decided that if I don't get accepted for whatever reason, then I would be completely fine with living in Vermillion and going to USD if I can get accepted there! I actually got to chat live with an admissions counselor from USD this morning, and I asked her about housing and she told me that there aren't any on-campus options for married students, so we'd actually have to find a rental...

Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 AM

4,879 posts, read 6,945,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberrain View Post
See, I really like how an hour's drive takes you to many different places. There's only one direction I can take to get anywhere now, so this is something I would absolutely love. Vermillion sounds like a realy promising place to live, for a young couple that isn't expecting anything flashy or crazy. I still haven't received my admissions letter from U of M, but I decided that if I don't get accepted for whatever reason, then I would be completely fine with living in Vermillion and going to USD if I can get accepted there! I actually got to chat live with an admissions counselor from USD this morning, and I asked her about housing and she told me that there aren't any on-campus options for married students, so we'd actually have to find a rental...
What the admissions counselor probably meant was there wasn't any openings for married housing available for this year. Cypress and Redwood Courts are married housing units right on campus. We stayed there during my senior year. I doubt that these have been converted.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
What the admissions counselor probably meant was there wasn't any openings for married housing available for this year. Cypress and Redwood Courts are married housing units right on campus. We stayed there during my senior year. I doubt that these have been converted.
Oh, that's very true! Very good to know about those units.....thanks for mentioning them! I will ask her if they've been converted or not.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:26 PM

311 posts, read 694,490 times
DO NOT decide unless you visit SF. Places are never the same as you remmemered them as a child.I have lived in both cities but I was only in Missoula a short time.If you say you love Missoula, SF will be a big letdown.Two TOTALY different cities with very little similarities.Sf feels like a big meatpacking cowtown with lots of low paying retail jobs, a couple of midsize schools a lot of cookie cutter suburban sprawl and a downtown that shuts down at 7pm.Oh and they have an open sewer that runs through town that they call a river.Take the beautiful mountain city over the ugly dingy prairie town.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,821,668 times
Tired on minute you said what I was thinking. I wasn't sure how to word it

Old 08-11-2010, 07:51 AM

4,879 posts, read 6,945,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
DO NOT decide unless you visit SF. Places are never the same as you remmemered them as a child.I have lived in both cities but I was only in Missoula a short time.If you say you love Missoula, SF will be a big letdown.Two TOTALY different cities with very little similarities.Sf feels like a big meatpacking cowtown with lots of low paying retail jobs, a couple of midsize schools a lot of cookie cutter suburban sprawl and a downtown that shuts down at 7pm.Oh and they have an open sewer that runs through town that they call a river.Take the beautiful mountain city over the ugly dingy prairie town.
Although I can't dispute your analysis of the Big Sioux River. Sioux Falls has come a long way from the meatpacking cowtown you mentioned.

At one time, the stockyards and Morrells was the predominant business feature of Sioux Falls. This has completely changed over the last 20 years. This is very much a a business and healthcare dominated community, with a very vibrant business climate. It ALWAYS ranks in the top 10 and usually top 5 in the nation for best places to raise a family and business climate.

Lastly, a downtown that shuts down at 7:00? When have you last been here. Downtown Sioux Falls is just getting going at 7:00 especially on the weekends during the summer. Nearly every restaurant/bar on Phillips Ave. has a outdoor sidewalk setup, complete with live music. All summer long there are also special activities with vintage care shows, hot harley nights etc.

I'm sure when it comes down to picturesqe settings, Missoula will top Sioux Falls quite handily. Comparing the communities head to head, Sioux Falls can compete easily with what it has to offer as a place to live well and raise a family.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 PM

8,056 posts, read 10,653,334 times
I lived in the Bitteroot Valley and worked in Missoula. I understand the "trapped" feeling. You are kind of cut off from the "rest of civilization". That has it's advantages, but it's disadvantages as well.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,413,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
Ouch... and by the way, proper spelling and grammar will give you higher reps...

Look at jmgg's post... He said it perfectly. Things change.

The Big Sioux River isn't a sewer... Falls Park is a great park. Sioux Falls has a ton of parks and greenways...

Downtown doesn't shut down at 7 pm. That being said, it is more active during the summer months.

And the Sioux Falls Stockyards have been closed for quite some time...

To the Original Poster... Leave it to the locals... We know best!

Old 08-17-2010, 03:38 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,821,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
The Big Sioux River isn't a sewer... Falls Park is a great park. Sioux Falls has a ton of parks and greenways...
Well it was the last couple weeks. How much did they dump into the river to avert disaster?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls